lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-24-2021, 12:52 PM   #1
HarleyTim
Not Yet Wild

Default 1998 G16E very slow, no torque

Hello, I've got a 1998 G16E that is slow, maybe 10mph and has no torque. I (270 lbs solid) and my daughter get in it for a little ride and when we hit a slight incline. The cart slows to about 8mph or less. I was thinking its a battery thing, the newest battery is 2017, but the more I research in to this it may be inherent in the cart itself. I plan on putting new batteries in very soon, but I wanted to see if the more knowledgeable people here could steer me in a direction that may produce more speed or torque out of this cart.

From what I can tell, all the electronics are the OE parts. I've looked and I can't seem to find a 48v conversion kit for it, and both my closest Yamaha dealers are telling me that the speed controller for it can not be re-programed.

Am I SOL here?

Thanks
Tim
HarleyTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-02-2021, 07:00 AM   #2
rstacy
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: 1998 G16E very slow, no torque

There are a few things to check. What is the overall battery pack voltage under load? An easy way to check this is to put the car up against a wall and apply a little pedal while monitoring the battery pack voltage to see if it is dropping off.

Battery cables could be corroded.

The forward/reverse switch can also melt/burn causing high resistance and poor performance.

The motor brushes could be worn.
rstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 07:47 AM   #3
Reddawg454
Grumpy Old Guy

Club Car

Putting the cart up against a wall is a very bad idea. Stalling the motor can fry numerous components. Check the voltage while going up that hill at 8mph to avoid damaging the cart.
Reddawg454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 07:56 AM   #4
rstacy
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddawg454 View Post
Putting the cart up against a wall is a very bad idea. Stalling the motor can fry numerous components. Check the voltage while going up that hill at 8mph to avoid damaging the cart.
I disagree. Notice that I said a little pedal. All you want is a small draw. Do it just long enough for the reading which wont fry anything (Not in a Yamaha anyway).
This is safer than trying to take a reading in a moving car.
rstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 09:04 AM   #5
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Bad idea. The commutator can be cooked easily by stalling this kind of motor under load. You can probably get away with it but I would not recommend it.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha