lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-12-2021, 04:42 PM   #1
Frank_G
Not Yet Wild

Default Reverse works wont go Forward

Hi all, I'm hoping someone here can help me. I have a 1996 EZGO TXT 36V where it stopped going in reverse and forward also started going out. I replaced the F&R switch and now it will only go in reverse. I swapped the 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock cables and the cart will go in Forward (nob in reverse) and Reverse (nob in Fwd), but when I swap them back to normal it will only go in reverse. Any thoughts? Please help.
Frank_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-12-2021, 05:07 PM   #2
sthreatt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Reverse works wont go Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_G View Post
Hi all, I'm hoping someone here can help me. I have a 1996 EZGO TXT 36V where it stopped going in reverse and forward also started going out. I replaced the F&R switch and now it will only go in reverse. I swapped the 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock cables and the cart will go in Forward (nob in reverse) and Reverse (nob in Fwd), but when I swap them back to normal it will only go in reverse. Any thoughts? Please help.
You have something cabled wrong on the F/R switch. Double check to make sure you have Battery + from the controller to 6 oclock, A2 from the motor to 12 oclock, and s1 to 9 oclock and s2 to 3 oclock positions on the switch. Switching 3 and 9 should change direction relative to the handle, but should not stop running.
sthreatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 05:35 PM   #3
sthreatt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Whenever you install a new F/R switch, it is bolted to the floor in slotted holes. The purpose for this is to center the travel of the rotary switch completely from one position to the other. I have seen them installed too far left or right to where the handle will not reach far enough to engage one position or the other, but if that were the case you would not then have reversed directions in BOTH directions by swapping 3 and 9 . Also, check the big self locking nut in the center of the switch. ( disconnect a battery cable before you stick a wrench down in there ! ) It adjusts tension on the contacts. You want it tight enough to engage properly, but not so tight as to make it too hard to switch.
Old 07-12-2021, 07:30 PM   #4
Frank_G
Not Yet Wild

I may have had the 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock cables swapped, so I switched them and the cart now goes fwd and reverse but the problem is not in correct direction as lever. I put the cart in FWD and it goes in reverse and I put cart in reverse and it goes fwd. I have tried disconnecting the rod and connecting it in different positions but end up with same situation.. I dont understand why it's doing this. what am i doing wrong?
Old 07-12-2021, 08:18 PM   #5
sthreatt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
I may have had the 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock cables swapped, so I switched them and the cart now goes fwd and reverse but the problem is not in correct direction as lever. I put the cart in FWD and it goes in reverse and I put cart in reverse and it goes fwd. I have tried disconnecting the rod and connecting it in different positions but end up with same situation.. I dont understand why it's doing this. what am i doing wrong?
If you have S1 in the 9 oclock position, and S2 in the 3 oclock position, and it is going forward in reverse, then if you switch 3 and 9 it SHOULD then run forward in forward. Do you have the lever behind the handle and the lever on the FR switch ( connected by the rod ) both pointed upward ?
Old 07-12-2021, 08:28 PM   #6
Frank_G
Not Yet Wild

swapping the 9 and 3 to correct the issue of Forward being reverse and reverse being Forward to Fwd/ Fwd - Rev/ Rev is what I thought as well but when I switch them back cart goes in reverse but not in fwd. I'm not sure what you mean by lever and handle both pointing up.
Old 07-12-2021, 08:47 PM   #7
Frank_G
Not Yet Wild

I can send you pictures of the lever if you like. I dont know how to attach them here
Old 07-12-2021, 09:17 PM   #8
Frank_G
Not Yet Wild

20210712_213149.jpg

20210712_213256.jpg
Old 07-12-2021, 09:43 PM   #9
sthreatt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Looking at picture 1, the cart is obviously switched into the reverse position, with the lever on the FR switch being pushed far to the passenger side. Looking at picture 2, and looking down in the switch at the contacts, they don't seem to be lining up. When in reverse position, the studs in the rotator should be sitting squarely on top of the contacts of the base plate. They don't seem to be, If I am seeing correctly.
Old 07-12-2021, 10:12 PM   #10
Frank_G
Not Yet Wild

the F/R lever is actually in the center position (middle of F and R). Is the lever bar connected correctly to the F/R switch? Is the piece that connects to the switch supposed to be up or facing down like I have it? How do I fix the not lining up situation? loosen the center nut and move the contacts?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO