lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-18-2021, 10:35 AM   #1
gvthnks
Not Yet Wild

Default No solenoid click, no power at key switch, Power only on one port of J-1

Hello all. Thanks for all the information I've gotten so far from the forum.

Working on a 2006-ish 36v EZ-GO PDS cart.

Back story is that it was given to my mother running with the caveat that it needed batteries. It had intermittent run problems that seemed to be related to batteries, meaning when I recharged them, it would run for a little while longer and then quit.

Fast forward to present. 6 new trojans yesterday give me a pack voltage of 37.5 vdc at the batteries and at main post of solenoid.

I've been using the wiring diagram (oops, can't post links for another 7 days. It's labeled "PDS") for troubleshooting which helps.

Here is where I'm at. The run / tow switch is bad on one pole. No continuity on one circuit (orange/yellow) when in run position. The way I read this diagram is that there should be continuity through both circuits when in the run position. Fixed that.

I only have power at J1, pin 5 on the controller. NONE of the other J-1 pins that are supposed to have power on them with key on (according to that wiring diagram) have power on them.

My key switch has four wires on it. Two white and two blue. One blue wire has 12v on it, presumably for lighting and the horn, but the white wires do not since they come from J-1. Lights come on when the key switch is in the correct position.

Right now, that's about as far as my golf cart knowledge takes me. Any input would be appreciated as for how to proceed.

Thank you
gvthnks is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-18-2021, 11:22 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: No solenoid click, no power at key switch, Power only on one port of J-1

PDS cart correct?
I think pin 5 is the charger lockout. So no power to the solenoid or controller when you try to go.
Follow the power from the battery main (+) to the key, to the pedal micro switch, to the solenoid and controller when you try to go (Key on / in gear)
Hope this helps
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 01:19 PM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: No solenoid click, no power at key switch, Power only on one port of J-1

First of all, 37.5V is only 80% charged and new batteries ought to be fully charged before first use. (SoC chart for Trojan brand batteries attached.)

The voltage to the solenoid coil passes in and out of a PDS controller several times. Attached are some schematics and drawings that will help. The last schematic has all of the wires that need to have B+ on the highlighted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SoC vs Voltage - Trojan Battery.JPG (56.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Wiring Diagram - PDS.JPG (129.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Voltage paths through PDS controller.jpg (138.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg PDS Jacks Pin-1 in red.jpg (58.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Wiring Diagram - PDS - Solenoid activation traced.jpg (69.7 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 04:31 PM   #4
gvthnks
Not Yet Wild

Right now the voltage is 38.3. Appreciate the extra diagrams.

One issue I've found is that I DO NOT have voltage coming from the reed switch into the controller J1 pin 4. There is positive voltage leaving the reed switch in the R/W wire and voltage makes it across the cart to a junction where it goes into a wire loom but between that connector and pin 4. I'll have to take that loom apart and see why the power stops.
Old 11-18-2021, 08:28 PM   #5
gvthnks
Not Yet Wild

FIXED.

The red/white wire that runs from the charging port reed switch into port 4 of J1 was broken in the plastic wire loom. No idea how that happened, but as soon as I cut the wire out of the harness and replaced it, everything is fine again.

Thanks for your help.
Old 11-18-2021, 09:10 PM   #6
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Good work!
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 08:31 AM   #7
kantuckian
Gone Wild

Thanks for the info
kantuckian is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO