lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-17-2010, 12:00 PM   #1
Ga_goat
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default old marathon

have an old / old marathon that moves when starter is engauged while cranking ,, have rebuilt the motor supports , replaced the drive belt , washed the pully's with de greaser , and scratched my head a lot , endine is a 2pg and runs fine ,,just likes to move when starter is working , any ideas .
I was on here pretty regular until I had to leave for a couple of months and had to get a new puter ,, re registered appearently with a new setup and now finding whole forum completely changed , when did all this stuff about having to 'subscribe ; to every topic to use the forum start ?
Ga_goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-21-2010, 10:18 AM   #2
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Default Re: old marathon

Is it firing? Sounds like the plugs are not firing and not starting the engine. I'd check the tune up items: plugs, fuel, etc...

spriddle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 12:03 PM   #3
ruredy
Born Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ga_goat View Post
have an old / old marathon that moves when starter is engauged while cranking ,, have rebuilt the motor supports , replaced the drive belt , washed the pully's with de greaser , and scratched my head a lot , endine is a 2pg and runs fine ,,just likes to move when starter is working , any ideas .
I was on here pretty regular until I had to leave for a couple of months and had to get a new puter ,, re registered appearently with a new setup and now finding whole forum completely changed , when did all this stuff about having to 'subscribe ; to every topic to use the forum start ?
not sure about the changes your talking of, it seems the same to me. I just had to replace my computer and haven't had those issues. I did have to sign back in so my computer would remember everything again.
belts are tight on the 2 strokes anyway and if you try a shorter one or possible a new one they'll do that for a while till it loosens up. of course it could always be a clutch issue too.
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 01:15 PM   #4
Radicalgolfcarts
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I would think that one of the clutches is not returning.... So it may be stuck open or closed whatever you want to call it.
Radicalgolfcarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 12:04 AM   #5
vzdude
Gone Wild

O.K.....I am a real newb, but are they NOT supposed to move when the starter is engaging? Mine has since I got it, and just kinda figured it was supposed to! What could be the resolution if they are not supposed to? Longer drive belt?
vzdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:02 AM   #6
Saltysteele
Home of the Teeny Weaney

E-Z-GO

mine moves a bit. depends on what the OP means by "moves"

once the engine is running, it has to rev up a bit to get moving.
Saltysteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 06:25 AM   #7
ez go go
Doin' the Wild Thang

E-Z-GO

No, the cart should not move as soon as you touch the pedal if the belt is stock and everything is working properly. However, the case may be that the clutch isn't traveling all the way back out or someone has changed the belt to a shorter one to achieve a little more low end and hill climbing ability. I would check the belt no. you have against a stock one if you can read it and also you can check the clutch travel to see if it is operating properly. As it sits stock, the pedal is pushed the engine revs up some and the clutch engages the belt and tada.. cart moves.... As you can see I'm with ruredy on this post.. Hope this helps.
ez go go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:37 AM   #8
GoTeeMan
EZ Like Sunday Morning

E-Z-GO

When your engine runs and speeds up the drive clutch squeezes together to grab the belt and then when the engine rpm slows the clutch opens back up to disengage the belt. If the clutch on the engine is staying squeezed then the cart will move when you try to start it. It is an old cart (just like mine) and the rollers on the fingers in the clutch get flat spots and don't allow the clutch to release. I know this because this is what both of my carts do. If it is stuck, take a hammer and lightly tap the clutch housing until it "pops" back out. When the clutch is disengaged there should be around 4" between the insides of the clutch, if there is any less then the clutch is stuck.
GoTeeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 11:53 AM   #9
TeamRMS
Hey Wally, its the Beaver

E-Z-GO

Had this same problem on my 84 ezgo, i found that the primary (engine) clutch was staying engaged. Ended up tearing down the primary clutch to find one of the buttons had fallen out of place. I was able to fix mine with a little modification and it works great now.
TeamRMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:59 PM   #10
vzdude
Gone Wild

Definitely good to know! I will be checking on this soon!
vzdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO