lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-16-2010, 03:23 PM   #11
technoid
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Is this starter worth fixing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bersh View Post
I don't quite understand what you're asking. I followed the instructions in the sticky on this forum, advice from other posts in this forum, advice from other forums, and my own personal experience. Based on all this, I ruled the solenoid out as it's doing it's job. There was 12.6 volts from the solenoid to the post on the starter, which is the same reading as I was getting at the battery.
Ok, what I am telling you is any closed switch with current flowing through it will read "0" volts across it. Take your volt meter probes. Place them across the solenoid contacts and not the solenoid coil. Polarity is not important. You will notice the 12 volt reading. When you activate the solenoid to operate the starter your meter should now read "0". If it shows any voltage at all, even below the 1 volt scale, the solenoid is not making a good closure. This is how you check contacts for resistance. I would use an analog volt meter. The cheap digital ones are to sensitive to magnetic field pick up. Now try that and let me know what you see.
technoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-16-2010, 03:46 PM   #12
bersh
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by technoid View Post
Ok, what I am telling you is any closed switch with current flowing through it will read "0" volts across it. Take your volt meter probes. Place them across the solenoid contacts and not the solenoid coil. Polarity is not important. You will notice the 12 volt reading. When you activate the solenoid to operate the starter your meter should now read "0". If it shows any voltage at all, even below the 1 volt scale, the solenoid is not making a good closure. This is how you check contacts for resistance. I would use an analog volt meter. The cheap digital ones are to sensitive to magnetic field pick up. Now try that and let me know what you see.
Thanks for the info. I'll have to wait at this point until the new starter gets here, but I'll do the test once I have everything back together.
bersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 05:46 AM   #13
technoid
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by bersh View Post
I don't quite understand what you're asking. I followed the instructions in the sticky on this forum, advice from other posts in this forum, advice from other forums, and my own personal experience. Based on all this, I ruled the solenoid out as it's doing it's job. There was 12.6 volts from the solenoid to the post on the starter, which is the same reading as I was getting at the battery.
One more thing, Its not uncommon to get a bad solenoid brand new in the box. Over the years I have come across this several times. Manufacturer quality control does not exisit anymore.
technoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha