lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-02-2011, 02:31 PM   #1
reevesjo
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Fuel pump..acts like it is running out of gas

First off: newbie here. Says I can't use PM System until 3 posts. I can't find what PM System is??

Now to the problem. Neighbor's golf cart. After he drives it a mile or two it surges, dies; surges, dies; a few times, then dies completely until it cools off for awhile. He replaced his fuel pump with a "borrowed" one from a dealer until a new one can be delivered on Tuesday 7/5/2011. I tried to help...
1. drained all gas and replaced with gasahol-free. no fix
2. even tried to by-pass fuel pump with a "gravity flow" supply of gas. no fix..is "some pressure" required to open the carb float??
3. checked spark. a little weak but seems to be there right after one of these situations. Will try a dynamic spark tester when I can get one.

Fuel filter doesn't really have much gas in it. I tilted it down a little so it would always go down hill, instead of up hill. I supplied the pulse by blowing, but results were no different. I haven't checked the compression yet.

Running out of ideas....any suggestions besides replacing the magneto?
Neighbor Joe
reevesjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-02-2011, 02:35 PM   #2
reevesjo
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Fuel pump..acts like it is running out of gas

I see the I.D. got stuck below the post. It is a 1997 Yamaha gas, G16.
Joe
Old 07-09-2011, 01:09 PM   #3
reevesjo
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

FIXED. Turned out to be a bad TCI unit (magneto). Every symptom of running out of gas, but it was a short in the magneto that showed up with heat. After it cooled off, it was fine "for awhile".
Old 07-09-2011, 01:26 PM   #4
jackel440
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Glad you got it figured out.I just saw your post as I haven't been on here alot as I have been busy.
I am from just north of Kokomo,where are you from?
jackel440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 09:02 PM   #5
reevesjo
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

jackel440
About 12 miles south of Anderson. The town fathers are thinking about changing the name of our big city from Wilkinson to Dollar General City. Can you guess why???
Joe
Old 07-10-2011, 07:30 PM   #6
Mark P
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I live near the huge west of Anderson metropolis of Lapel, Barney Fife may beat you the the Dollar General name-if not, we still have the good ole Rickers

Mark P
Mark P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:07 PM   #7
biker74
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by reevesjo View Post
FIXED. Turned out to be a bad TCI unit (magneto). Every symptom of running out of gas, but it was a short in the magneto that showed up with heat. After it cooled off, it was fine "for awhile".
mines doing the sane thing where is the magneto?
biker74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:09 AM   #8
reevesjo
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Don't know which one you have. On a G16, the mag is R.H. side opposite the clutch side. It is hidden behind the intake fan shrouds. It is mounted on the outside of the flywheel in order to pick up the signal from the magnets that are mounted in the flywheel (sometimes called the rotor). The fat lead goes to the spark plug. Parts diagrams can be seen at: http://www.yamahagolfcar.com/partsan.../default.aspx#
Select "View Parts Catalogs" and choose which model you have. Then select: Electrical 1. That is where the magneto is shown for the G16. It is called TCI (transistor controlled ignition). You should test it with a dynamic spark tester before you go to the trouble and expense of changing it.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:00 PM   #9
biker74
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

i got it running again by changing the fuel lines and clean carb.electronics is my weakist thing when working on stuff.
biker74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1997 yamaha, g16 gas
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha