lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-22-2011, 11:35 PM   #1
ky_mike
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default G1 Engine rebuild

Gonna need some help on this one

My cart is running fine, however smokes more than it probably needs to. I did a compression check and it was about 97-100psi so I figured I would at least tear it apart and learn a little.

Here are a few pictures of the engine. It's an '82 cart but I'm not sure about the engine. From my build thread someone said it has a cylinder from other than an '82 model.

So here are a few pics

I took the head off, which from looking at it looked to me like it had a leaky gasket. I can't figure out how to get the cylinder off.....it's catching on something. Does it just pull off and I'm being to gentle with it?

Cylinder walls and piston look nice and smooth so I'm guessing just some new rings and gaskets.

I do plan on checking the crank seals while I have it out. Anything else I should do while it's torn apart?
ky_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-23-2011, 04:48 AM   #2
GMB74
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: G1 Engine rebuild

Your crankcase is stamped J17, indicating it is from a 1982 buggy, but the upper end is marked J10 and has the larger reed cage from a non-1982 engine. The crankcases are all the same, so just consider this a "regular" G1 engine, from either 1979-81 or 1983-89. I have an engine just like this. Look the piston and cylinder over carefully for wear and damage, inspect the crankshaft bearings when you replace the seals, and you should be good to go.
On a 2-stroke engine, smoking is not an indication of a worn engine, unlike a 4-stroke. Your compression readings are a tad low, so some freshening certainly won't hurt it.
GMB74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 02:31 PM   #3
ky_mike
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Thanks GMB74!

I figured out how to get the cylinder off. It just pulls off, but it was catching on a metal piece.

So I got piston rings, head gasket and base gasket ordered. I don't see any leaking around the crank seals and I really didn't want to pull the clutch off anyways so that is a good thing.

I noticed on the base gasket someone put what appeared to be silicon sealant or gasket sealant all the way around it. Is that normal or do I just need the gasket?
Old 07-23-2011, 06:21 PM   #4
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by ky_mike View Post
Thanks GMB74!

I figured out how to get the cylinder off. It just pulls off, but it was catching on a metal piece.

So I got piston rings, head gasket and base gasket ordered. I don't see any leaking around the crank seals and I really didn't want to pull the clutch off anyways so that is a good thing.

I noticed on the base gasket someone put what appeared to be silicon sealant or gasket sealant all the way around it. Is that normal or do I just need the gasket?
Looks like alot of "blow by" on the piston, if the cylinder looks good, might try a ball hone (my stone style hone allways seems to catch one of the ports) and then test fit std rings for correct ring rnd gap. Once you get the compression back up...it will pretty much take out those old crank seals. Id do it now, why it's out. No there is no sealant/rtv on the base gasket.
Good luck with your rebuild.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 08:43 PM   #5
ky_mike
Gone Wild

Yamaha

You're probably right. I just hate spending $35-$45 on a clutch puller I'll only probably use once.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:03 PM   #6
skarp
Gone Wild

Didn't I sell u a motor???

If you need to borrow clutch tool....let me know !
skarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 10:54 PM   #7
ky_mike
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Thanks skarp.

I sent you a pm
Old 07-25-2011, 07:53 AM   #8
heavygs
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Hey, where are you in Kentucky? I think I have one too. I'm up in northern ky by Cincinnti.
heavygs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:59 AM   #9
ky_mike
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I'm in Ashland.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:48 PM   #10
heavygs
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Cool, that's pretty country over there, used to go camping at Greenbo. I double checked today just to make sure I still had the clutch puller, it is a 2 piece kit. If you still need one let me know.
heavygs is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha