lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-10-2012, 01:46 PM   #11
hookm
Younger Than Dirt

Club Car

Default Re: Rear Disc Brakes

I've had the rear discs on my cart for over a year & they work great.
One thing I've done that I wish I did when I put them on is mask where the pads make contact & put a good coat of paint on the rest of the rotor, it looks good & they will rust if you don'thookm
hookm is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-12-2012, 06:25 AM   #12
JW67
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the tip of the paint. I will do that.

I had the head milled 50thousands. the bore is for the largest Fe350 pistion they had. I believe it is .050ML. I am running a universal K&N air filter which made the cart run way too lean so I kept drilling the jet out till I got the right color spark plug. I actually went too far and had to solder the hole closed and back up 1 drill bit size. I am running factory exhaust still but that may change soon. I also run HS 8:1 gears and have both clutches heavily machined so at WOT the belt is actually riding a little out of the front clutch. I caught a tail wind Wednesday evening and even with the top on and windshield folded down, I hit 42.9mph in less than 1/2 mile. I wish I had the top off and little tires back on for that run. I bet it would of been close to 48-50. Some day..... And believe it or not, A worn belt works better than a new one. At least for my set up, it does.
JW67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:46 PM   #13
mastercylinder63
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I bought this same brakes 4 my DS because of your recommendation. Can I install the calipers on top of the axle instead of on the bottom like you did and also the way the directions have it? Will the be in the way of anything like the leafsprings etc?? The reason why is because they seem to hand a little low. I don't want to snag them up one anything.
mastercylinder63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:51 PM   #14
JcXtreme72
Gone Wild
Yamaha

tons of people install them on the top you have to switch left to right and vise verse.
JcXtreme72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:00 PM   #15
mastercylinder63
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks, I'll do that. Just makes more sense to be up top then then gathering muck on the bottom. I just hope when it comes time to change out the pads, I'll be able to do it without interference from the springs or anything else.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:15 PM   #16
JcXtreme72
Gone Wild
Yamaha

In my mind that should all be mounted on the top. Ideally though they would be clocked. Look at full size cars. They are usually around the 2 o clock position. I didn't R&D the kit so I am sure there are factors we aren't aware of suck as your concerns for spring clearence but like personally I would rather deal with that then snagging a cable off road or things of that nature. On all of my golf carts that I have lifted I swap the drum brakes left to right so I can clock the cables to the top. Better then ordering longer cables and loosing the clearence. Out trail riding my friends G16 gas cart snagged a root with the brake cable and for the rest of the trip he was one wheel braking for stopping. Not fun on a lifted cart with steel wheels 22" tires and a few motor mods.
JcXtreme72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:21 PM   #17
4vertical
Gone Wild

Club Car

When I installed them on my 98 ds with hd springs and a lift they would not go on top. The lever that actuates them is longer than a stock drum brake. There was just not enough room for it to work there. Without seriously modifying the linkages that is!
4vertical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:01 PM   #18
mastercylinder63
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Yeah, I'll try both ways. Hopefully I can get it to work on the top. I may have to check with various vendors and check if there's such a thing as longer then stock cables.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:07 PM   #19
4vertical
Gone Wild

Club Car

I fabricated a bracket that I bolted to the bottom of the frame. It moved the mounting poing lower(duh) and somewhat to the rear, and spread them out a bit. The stock cables fit fine after that. I didn't think to snap a picture before i painted it and took the cart back to the campground.
4vertical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:25 PM   #20
charliew13
Not Yet Wild

I put these same brakes on the front of a carryally six and converted the mounts to weld on a alsports 7.5 inch lift kit spindle. I had to mount the arms in the front to keep all the turning motion. They hit mounted on the back side. I haven't finished redoing the lift yet as the tierod hits the top of the frame when the cart is up off the ground with the full 7.5 lift also the shocks with their three rubber bumpers are bottomed out with the struts shortened to fix the tierod problem. It looks like Ii need to move the tierod up about 1/2 inch higher and raise the shock mount up about two inches. I may try to put these on the rear in the top position also.
charliew13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car