lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-12-2012, 08:37 AM   #1
Airone
Not Yet Wild

Question Which is better 36 volt or 48 volt ?

I'm a Brand new guy to the carting world and looking to buy my first cart. I need some advice please. I like the looks of the EZGO carts and am pretty well set on purcahsing an EZGO cart. Just wondering if I should buy a 36 volt D/C EZGO or the 48 volt A/C EZGO RXV. I plan on a 6" lift, 4 seater with 12" rims and 23" tires. I'll be using the cart in a campground with dirt roads, some small hills and a few light sandy trails, nothing crazy. I do expect to almost always have 4 people riding on the cart and I'd like to be able to get some speed out of the cart also ( 20 mph ). I've got about $4300 to spend. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time!
Airone is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-12-2012, 08:57 AM   #2
Taykol
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Which is better 36 volt or 48 volt ?

Would you prefer a 6 cylinder or 8 cylinder?
Taykol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:11 AM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

An electric golf cart is designed to transport two golfers and two sets of golf clubs, plus some divot repair tools & supplies and maybe a small amount of liquid refreshment, over groomed golf cart trails at about 12 MPH for about 5 or six miles total, consisting of about 18 sprints of around 275 yards each, plus a mile or so to/from the course of play at each end. To do more than that, the cart will have to be upgraded.

Since you want to carry 4 people (Driver plus 3 passengers) at ~20MPH over less than optimal terrain, turning 23" tires, you will have to some extensive upgrading.

It depends on how handy and competent your are, but it might be a good idea to buy a used cart that needs controller, cables, batteries, motor and tires since you will most likely be replacing all of those items.

If you find a body/frame in good condition for a good price, you might stay within your projected budget.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:17 AM   #4
UncleJerm76
Gone Wild

Club Car

From the research I did before buying my cart I couldn't find any significant difference between the two as far as power distance acceleration is concerned when left alone with a stock controller. I really don't know why the whole market switched to 48volts?

However, I've been told that if you upgrade the controller to a min 400A then the 48v cart would have more power than the 36v with the same upgrades. Kudos for trying to do some research before buying!

...My 2¢: unless you enjoy the build process, take your three passengers with you to test drive and buy a used one that's already been completed with the mods you want, you'll know right away if its for you.
UncleJerm76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:01 AM   #5
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Study up on what's important before buying. Many folks add a rear seat, big tires and a lift, without ever upgrading the controller, cables, solenoid, FNR (where applicable) and motor.

If you're planning on spending thousands of dollars, invest a few weeks/months and read EVERY post on this forum.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:41 AM   #6
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Airone,

I bot my Txt EZ-GO about 5 years ago from a fellow in Louisina who sells factory EZ-GO's or he build's 'em from the ground up. I went the ground up method. I could not find anyone in Pa. who would build a cart to my specs within a reasonable budget. It was less money to buy from this guy and have the cart shipped here. And I mean a few thousand less!!!

I can't do the physical work, but I spent several months doing the research (which you really should do to educate yourself) on what options are available, the cost of these options, and what they really "do" for you with your objective in mind.

With that, (for example) since I bot mine I have removed the rear flip seat as I never used it and replaced it with a piece of plywood that is camo painted and I use that for a platform for a chair...for hunting. Much more useful FOR MY PURPOSES!!

I replaced the batteries this year and went from 6, 8-V's to 8, 6-V's and I would recommend you spend the additional $$$ up front and go with 8, 6-V's now. Opt for the Trojan T-105's and just plain be happy. Run time is outstanding!!!!

If I were you I'd opt for the 48-V. More torque than the 36-V motors can give you. Just like an auto motor....you can get a 6-cyl to give you the same HP at the axle as a V-8. But you will never get the ft\lbs of torque from the little 6-banger.

MHO

Dave
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:59 PM   #7
Airone
Not Yet Wild

Just wanted to thank those of you that responded. I greatly appreciate the information. There's alot more to these carts then I realized. I'll be doing alot more research and reading of these forums before I make the purchase. Thanks again for your time, John
Old 11-14-2012, 07:40 AM   #8
Gonkulor
Astronautilator

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airone View Post
I'm a Brand new guy to the carting world and looking to buy my first cart. I need some advice please. I like the looks of the EZGO carts and am pretty well set on purcahsing an EZGO cart. Just wondering if I should buy a 36 volt D/C EZGO or the 48 volt A/C EZGO RXV. I plan on a 6" lift, 4 seater with 12" rims and 23" tires. I'll be using the cart in a campground with dirt roads, some small hills and a few light sandy trails, nothing crazy. I do expect to almost always have 4 people riding on the cart and I'd like to be able to get some speed out of the cart also ( 20 mph ). I've got about $4300 to spend. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time!
Interesting discussion Airone.

If anyone wants to go a little further I would like to restate a couple from the OP in a different way, mostly because I have questions in my mind to ponder here to.

DC, 36 or 48v? Well 48 duh but series or sepex? AC? yes or no? I don't see whole lots said about AC but maybe that is simply because I'm in the DC realm and I am only paying attention to what matters to me?

Series vs. Sepex? Airone said quite a bit about what he wants to use it for so I can only elaborate in more detail and guess. You want to be able to haul 4 people plus there stuff? The speed you want, 20 MPHish, has me guessing is so you can get to the beach or boat dock when that time comes and you don't have everyone looking at there watch with wonderment when they will get there? You also have other trails and small hills around the camp trails, going to the restroom and over to friends campsites, so you want a little speed but you wont be in a rush?

IMO DC Series, stock wheels, gear it 6:1 and put a torqued motor in it running off 48V DC.

It's your money free for me to spend

God Bless, Airone.
Keep asking questions and reading.
Gonkulor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:32 AM   #9
ab46501
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If I had a $4300 budget I could build the cart of my dreams!

I would look around this forum and decide what I wanted to do if I were you.

But from your description of requirements if it were me I would go 48v PDS with an aftermarket motor and controller.
ab46501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:57 PM   #10
Airone
Not Yet Wild

Talking Re: Which is better 36 volt or 48 volt ?

Please keep the information coming guys. I greatly appreciate it. Learning alot from reading these forums. I did speak with two salesman from two different golf cart stores. After describing what I wanted to use the cart for they both suggested the EZGO 48 volt RXV. I'm not so sure about the 48 volt A/C. It doesn't seem like too many people have them. I do realize the 48 volt A/C cart is fairly new and everybody seems to have 36 volts carts. But still looking for everybody's opinion, so throw it out there guys. I'd much rather learn from you guys then from someone trying to sell me something. In my first post I talked about what I wanted to use the cart for. If any of you guys are familiar with Ginnie Springs Campground in Florida that's about the roughest terrain I'd be using the cart on. Thanks again for your time and thanks for not slamming me on my lack of knowledge. You guys are awesome, Air One
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO