lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-20-2012, 04:28 PM   #1
Babyboomerboy
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Update on EZGO charger

Thank you JohnnieB and Scotty for the help in getting my chargers ampere gauge straightened out. I installed it and it works fine, I guess! Can you tell me what the readings should be with a fully charged system and when the batteries are at about 80%. I also installed 6 new 6V batteries and 4# welders wire on the batteries. I plan to finish the rest of the cables next week. The first picture is when the batteries are at 39.4. I know thats off the chart but I figure its because they are new and have only been charged a couple of times. Thanks again
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0008.JPG (76.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0003.JPG (86.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0006.JPG (92.0 KB, 0 views)
Babyboomerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-20-2012, 06:44 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Update on EZGO charger

The on-charge voltage is higher the the at-rest voltage on the State of Charge charts.

If the 39.4V is an on-charge voltage, it is either very low, or the charger hasn't been connect to batteries for very long.

3A is also low if the 39.4V is an on-charge voltage.

With 36V battery pack at 80% SoC (37.49V), the ammeter should rapidly rise to about 15A-20A initially, taper off to about 8A-10A as the on-charge voltage climbs into the 42V range and then taper off to about 2A to 5A as the voltage climbs towards the 44V-46V range that automatic chargers shut off at.

The initial charge on new batteries, may take an exceptionally long time, maybe up to 16-20 hours, so it may take more than one 12hr cycle on your charger.

If those new batteries are not climbing into the 44-46 volt range while on charge, they are not being fully charged.

Let the charger run overnight (12 hours on timer) and if possible measure the on-charge voltage just before timer times out.

Let us know if the on-charge voltage isn't getting to the mid-40's, and we will proceed from there.

BTW - Nice looking 232AH batteries.
Treat them right and they should last a long time.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:59 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Those new batteries look sweeet! Good to see somebody buy the biggest battery that fits I just have 3 words of advice for you now...

Scottyb's Digital Meters
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:56 AM   #4
Babyboomerboy
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

After I put the ampere gauge in the charger I connected it up to the cart and turned it on to take the picture. I then unplugged it and took a reading on the battery pack. I haven't taken a reading while the charger was on yet. The pack was at 39.4 after setting overnight. I will give it a couple of long chargers and see what the readings are. Thanks again JohnnieB for all your help

Scotty, can I move the key switch, which is under the seat, to the dash and install one of your meter gauges? Thanks
Old 11-21-2012, 10:24 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Good. The 39.4v was after a few hours rest. That is in the ballpark for new batteries.

I was worried about the charger not fully charging the batteries, but with the new information, it appears to be doing its job.

Now would be a good point in time to start a baseline record for your batteries.
Number them with a permanent marker or sticker, so you can track each battery for future reference.
I started at the main negative post and followed the interconnecting cables around to the, main positive post, but any method will work.
The charts are based on giving the batteries 12 hours rest to get rid of the surface charge, but a 2 minute drive followed by a 10 minute rest, will do it also.

Moving the Keyswitch to the dash is just a matter of running longer wires, but you might have to do some creative engineering to mount a Keyswitch/DVM panel in a Marathon dashboard. Maybe cut a hole for the backside of the switch and meter to go through and surface mount the panel.

If Scotty isn't along soon, to give you a definitive answer, PM or e-mail him.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:25 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Not sure I understand the question, the key switch plates are specific replacements for the TXT OEM unit with the added meter hole. You can use one of the meter trims (brushed aluminum) to install the meter in any flat surface. There is no need to move your key switch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5337web.jpg (53.7 KB, 0 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:26 PM   #7
Babyboomerboy
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I just took the cart out for 9 holes of golf. When I got back I checked the pack and it was 37.2 I then numbered each battery like you suggested and each one was 6.2 Then I put them back on the charger and the amp meter went to 20A to start. Does this sound normal for new batteries? Thanks
Old 11-21-2012, 03:54 PM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

In all honesty, I don't know many miles you drove it, or how much pedal time or what speed you drove at, so I can't venture a guess as to whether 37.2V when you got back is good or bad, but it is what it is.

The charger putting out 20A for the first 15-30 minutes of a charge, is normal.

It is a good sign that all six batteries were within 0.1V after they were discharged to 75% State of Charge.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO