lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-20-2012, 05:58 PM   #1
redmetalG
Not Yet Wild

Default Towing With an Electric Golf Cart?

How do you guys feel about towing with your electric carts? I am going to be throwing a beefier motor and controller in my electric TXT. What do you guys think of pulling a 400 pound tow behind bush hog with it? Does it affect the motor when towing that much? The cart has 23" tires as well if it matters.
I will also be modifying the voltage to 72 volts.
redmetalG is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-20-2012, 06:21 PM   #2
kab69440
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Towing With an Electric Golf Cart?

You won't even know 400lbs is back there. Try not to creep, though. Your controller won't like the oversize tires, especially with a load behind it.

I wouldn't advise a 72v conversion if you're going to mow with it. If you can keep the cart throttle wide open while pulling the mower, that would be ideal. The thing probably won't mow for squat at 30mph.
kab69440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:30 PM   #3
redmetalG
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab69440 View Post
You won't even know 400lbs is back there. Try not to creep, though. Your controller won't like the oversize tires, especially with a load behind it.

I wouldn't advise a 72v conversion if you're going to mow with it. If you can keep the cart throttle wide open while pulling the mower, that would be ideal. The thing probably won't mow for squat at 30mph.
Well..My plan is failed now..I was planing on mowing fast enough to jump the small bumps in my yard..kind of like an air ride golf cart

What would you say is the max towing load for an electric golf cart?
Old 11-20-2012, 06:39 PM   #4
kab69440
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

A platform pump weighs a bit shy of 8k. I used to drag them around a railyard with my Medalist. It burnt a few ends off my cables, but it did the job. 8k is about all a cart wants! (I do NOT recommend anyone duplicate my stupidity) My big syrup pump was closer to 5k and the cart was much happier to haul it around.

We had a yard tractor for hauling big stuff, but it was too much hassle to drop a 3point mower or blade( depending on the season) just to move a pump from one railcar to the next. So, I used the cart.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:44 PM   #5
redmetalG
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
A platform pump weighs a bit shy of 8k. I used to drag them around a railyard with my Medalist. It burnt a few ends off my cables, but it did the job. 8k is about all a cart wants! (I do NOT recommend anyone duplicate my stupidity) My big syrup pump was closer to 5k and the cart was much happier to haul it around.

We had a yard tractor for hauling big stuff, but it was too much hassle to drop a 3point mower or blade( depending on the season) just to move a pump from one railcar to the next. So, I used the cart.
One more question for you..I have a 36 volt model. If I don't upgrade the voltage will it be able to do what you say fine?
Old 11-20-2012, 06:50 PM   #6
kab69440
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Oh yeah. My cart is still 36v. Upgrade the cables (all of 'em) to 2ga and make sure your FNR is clean and shiny inside.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:00 PM   #7
redmetalG
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Oh yeah. My cart is still 36v. Upgrade the cables (all of 'em) to 2ga and make sure your FNR is clean and shiny inside.
How many amps on the controller and motor do you suggest then? I am thinking of possibly upgrading to 400-500 on both.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:18 PM   #8
kab69440
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

A 500amp controller should do anything you need. My cart still has a stock controller and an 8hp D&D limo can.

Tags
electric, mower, power, towing
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO