lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-22-2013, 08:08 PM   #1
Roaddog286
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default In search of wisdom

I'm about to partake on an adventure to rebuild a 1989 marathon. I'm at odds with cable size, lift height, and tire size. Also I'm wondering if the plum quick motor upgrade is worth the effort. This little cart will see a little offroad use but nothin major. Gonna tear it down to the frame and build it back to fit the needs of the family. I look forward to hear any ideas or direction from an experienced cart jockey!!!!!!
Roaddog286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-22-2013, 08:30 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: In search of wisdom

1989 Marathon is a resistor coil cart. They are limited in the big tire & off road department.

Here is the short version:

Early carts ( pre 1991) use a series of graduated sizes of speed resistor coils to regulate speed. Each coil in the group offered less resistance than the previous one. When you stepped on the gas 100% of the available battery power (amperage) was drawn and speed was regulated by how much of this amperage was burned off (wasted) by the resistor coils. So even if you push the peddle a little it drains the batteries same as wide open throttle. The gas peddle operated a wiper which swept a contact across stationary lugs which connected to the resistors. The solenoid merely switched power on /off to the speed wiper.
This is why it does you no good to just upgrade the solenoid....

Modern carts use solid state speed control. These controllers only draw as many amps as you ask for with the peddle.... If you push the peddle down 10% they deliver 10% of their capacity. I say their capacity because a controller is like a gate valve (or a hose bib) to the amperage stored in the batteries... We have different size controllers(valves) available so 10% of a 400 amp is less than 10% of a 650 amp controller.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:35 PM   #3
Roaddog286
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I might be wrong, wont be the first time. I think this cart is a controller cart. So does that change the game at all??
Old 01-22-2013, 08:37 PM   #4
Roaddog286
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I only say this because it has a controller.................
Old 01-22-2013, 08:59 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

YES that would make it a controller cart, post a pic of the battery bay.

I only said that because 1990.5 was the first controller cart year.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:06 PM   #6
Roaddog286
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

i hate to say it but my phone is smarter than i am. Gonna have to get my support staff involved to upload pics and she has retired for the night. SO I'M SORRY
Old 01-22-2013, 09:09 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

No problem
We can wait
Old 01-22-2013, 09:14 PM   #8
Roaddog286
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I will figure it out soon my friend. If it doesnt sip gas or burn gunpowder I have a hard time workin on it. Pics comming soon. I promise. Keep an eye out for me
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO