lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-14-2013, 09:12 AM   #11
azTony
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 97 TXT Steering Rack R&R

I said earlier that the spring releases pressure on the pinion and I was mistaken, it relieves pressure on the "rack guide" according to the service manual.

Volvoline DuraBlend Synthetic based is what I used.

I use this on my LandCruiser and have plenty on hand. I am sure any grease used for lubrication on automobiles will work.
azTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-14-2013, 12:02 PM   #12
RobCons
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks Lugster. I typically lean towards replacing everything at once. Both sides for wheel bearings etc. However, if I could svae the cost of a pinion it would be nice.
RobCons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:36 PM   #13
lugster
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I read a entry somewhere on here where he (scottyB maybe?) stated he doesn't ever need to change the gear unless there was an accident.
lugster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:46 AM   #14
RobCons
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I have seen both schools of thought on the board. This months extra dollars just went for replacement tires on the zero turn so I can get it ready for grass season. The buggy's steering is loose at the rack and pinion. Already replaced wheel bearings, spindle bushings, and flanged bushing. All that helped alot.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:11 PM   #15
lugster
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

going to try and get it in tomorrow, should be able to give you and idea on the effectiveness, just can't road test yet.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:02 AM   #16
lugster
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

got the rack in and it tightened everything up. Really could not see the pinion gear, make sure you only have to put it back once by getting all the parts correct (boots, rubber grommets etc), can't road test for a while. Be sure and take the cover, guide and spring off first.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:09 PM   #17
RobCons
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks Lugster. Think I will just go the rack route for now also.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:06 AM   #18
lugster
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Road test good, the steering tightened up with just the rack.

I am wondering if I used too much grease in the boot covering the rack on the drivers side, hope it doesn't split the boot.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:19 AM   #19
Der Bobby
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobCons View Post
Lugster, I am interested to see if just replacing the rack and not the pinion at the same time solves your problem. Can we get an update on the steering when your done? Thanks.
i will just jump in. Over the last weeks. I changed out the rack only. I did not remove the steering box from the vehicle but did have to loosen its retainer bolts considerably to leave room to manuever parts in and out. The whole job was very time consuming. The rack ball joint checked out good and was not replaced. No other steering component were replaced....only the rack.

1. Removing the ball joint from the old rack was difficult due to it having been glued with loctite per manufacturers directions. I had to heat it with a propane torch.

2. For reasons I could not understand the rack was difficult to insert into the steering box. It took repeated attempts (very frustrating) but eventually slid in.

There was nearly 15% of play in the steering wheel before replacing the rack. Now the play is less than 5%

The manual says to replace rack and pinion together. I suspect that I can improve on the 5% play I have now by replacing the pinion as recommended.
Der Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:29 AM   #20
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

FWIW,

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...-steering.html
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO