lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-18-2013, 06:10 PM   #11
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Default Re: 98 3 bolt steering box. repair or replace?

If you are satisfied that the caster and camber is not moving, try a few different toe settings. The steering wheel/box is not designed to keep the tires tracking straight. The steering geometry(camber/caster/toe) is supposed to do that. Try adjusting the toe, in 1/4" increments, from 1/2" in to 1/2" out. I measured mine at the front and rear of the center of the tires. It tracks perfectly at 1/4" toe-in.
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-19-2013, 07:46 AM   #12
beachcarter
Gone Wild

I think I may have found the problem. There is a little bit of side to side play in both wheels.Not alot but just a little bit, but a little bit times 2 wheels equals twice the wobble. Its not enough that I would think would cause it to go into a speed wobble as severe as it does. I almost flipped it yesterday, of course I was going about 30mph at the time. I was looking at it again early this morning before work. As I wiggled the driver side tire I could see the backing plate on the 6" jakes spindle was loose. There are 4 bolts that go thru the front of the spindle then go thru the backing plate and the nylon locking nuts go on behind the backing plate. The tie rod from the pitman arm connects to this backing plate. I tightened the nuts on the driver side wheel and now its alot tighter. Unfortunately I ran out of time before I had to go to work so I didnt get a chance to tighten the passenger side wheel so I'm excited to get home this afternoon and tighten the passenger side and take it for a test ride. Hoefully this fixes it. If not I'm goingto sell this cart. Between the clone engine install not living up to what I expected and the steering problem I'm tired of working on this cart. I haven't had a cart to ride for almost 2 months while working on this project. I want a cart I can get on and comfortably ride.
beachcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 01:17 PM   #13
beachcarter
Gone Wild

Looks like that was my problem. The backing plate on the spindles was loose on both sides. I tightened them up and its a lot better. I would go as far to say that it drives perfect. It still jumps around a little but I think that is because I have HD coil over shocks on the front, HD springs in the back with no shocks at all in the rear. It rides like a tank. Now if I can just get this clone motor exhuast quiet enough to ride it I plan to add a jakes long travel suspension in the front then move the hd coil over shocks to the rear and remove the hd springs and put the stock springs back on. At leats its driveable now that the steering problem is fixed.
beachcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 04:58 PM   #14
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Nice work! Thanks for the update.
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO