lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-24-2014, 05:26 PM   #1
Silverstreak
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Batteries in sub zero weather

I have my cart in a shelter logic shed out a ways behind the house, with the charger. I use a 100' heavy duty extension cord from the house when I charge. The last time I charged it was about 10 days ago, and haven't used it since then. I filled the cells with water about a month ago. We've been VERY cold here in central Indiana and for awhile. The night temps with wind chills have been about minus 15.
I decided to give it a little heat tonight and plugged it in.

The charger arrow hardly went up at all, and my analog SOC moved to the end of the red area (fully charged?).

Did this happen because it is possibly fully charged, or is it because the 100' extension cord is frozen? Or because of the exceptionally low temps?
Next week is supposed to be even colder.

Any suggestions? I surely don't want to hurt the batteries. It would probably be good to drive it, but its too cold out and most of the time there's too much snow.

Thanks for your help.
Silverstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-24-2014, 05:32 PM   #2
kellybell
So wild it hurts!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Batteries in sub zero weather

Winter sux!
kellybell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 05:47 PM   #3
mike777
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverstreak View Post
I have my cart in a shelter logic shed out a ways behind the house, with the charger. I use a 100' heavy duty extension cord from the house when I charge. The last time I charged it was about 10 days ago, and haven't used it since then. I filled the cells with water about a month ago. We've been VERY cold here in central Indiana and for awhile. The night temps with wind chills have been about minus 15.
I decided to give it a little heat tonight and plugged it in.

The charger arrow hardly went up at all, and my analog SOC moved to the end of the red area (fully charged?).

Did this happen because it is possibly fully charged, or is it because the 100' extension cord is frozen? Or because of the exceptionally low temps?
Next week is supposed to be even colder.

Any suggestions? I surely don't want to hurt the batteries. It would probably be good to drive it, but its too cold out and most of the time there's too much snow.

Thanks for your help.
just make sure the batts are fully charged and youll be allright, I'm in MN and I'm sure we get more cold temps regularly, I try and take mine out for a spin now and again and have fun in the snow, if your not lifted with big tires ,not gonna be much fun
I keep mine plugged in quite a bit, and check the digital batt gauge regularly as well, they stay charged pretty good
mike777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 06:16 PM   #4
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

A fully charged battery will not freeze. What is the voltage of the pack now?
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 06:17 PM   #5
kellybell
So wild it hurts!

E-Z-GO

Winter sux.......
kellybell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 06:56 PM   #6
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Well, they Can freeze, if you hit -92f, when fully charged. Freezing temp increases as state of charge decreases (dead batts will freeze).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:47 PM   #7
Silverstreak
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks everyone.

I will check the voltage tomorrow.......if I can get out there. Supposed to have snow and bad blowing winds tonight. Up until last week, I have charged them almost every night, so I haven't abused them. Maybe the reaction I got from the charger and the SOC was because they have stayed fully charged.

I do have a lifted cart with big tires, but have gotten stuck in the snow a couple times. But usually, its a real trooper. This weather is just outrageous. I sure miss my spring/summer/fall evening rides.
Thanks for your input!
Silverstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:21 PM   #8
Jd62
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

It's not that bad minus 15 here in montreal it's -26F tonight.....but my cart is inside.
Jd62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 06:37 AM   #9
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverstreak View Post
The night temps with wind chills have been about minus 15.
The good news is batteries don't "feel" wind chill, just the actual temperature.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 06:52 AM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Attached is a chart showing the temperature at which a lead-acid battery freezes vs SoC.

The temperatures given are what the thermometer actually reads rather than the calculated Wind-Chill factor.
If the wind is blowing across the battery, it will cool off faster, but it will not get any colder than the ambient air temperature displayed by a thermometer.

Keep your battery well charged and it isn't very likely to freeze if you live north of Antarctica.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Freeze point vs SoC.JPG (38.2 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO