lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-27-2014, 05:48 PM   #1
DD1229
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Is this the way to go ?

Hello all, I have a new to me stock 94 CC Ds. It is in running order it is just slow and has very little torque.On flat ground is not too bad but any grade at all it dosent stop but it crawls. It has the V-Glide and resistor setup. I got the cart knowing it has bad batteries (before I found this helpful forum) I went and bought new batteries 6 -6 volt, didn't know you could go to 48. So after reading a alot of posts I'm wondering if the solid state conversion would help my cart out. Thinking mabey I'll do the conversion and possiably a motor later and move to 48 volts in a afew years when need arises.I am not really interested in lifts or big tires I would like it to look stock and fly. I would like to know if this will get me what i want or if another plan may be better Thanks in advance DD
DD1229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-27-2014, 07:16 PM   #2
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Default Re: Is this the way to go ?

Solid state is much more efficient than the resistors. Scottyb sells the conversion kits. He sells controllers that are 36-48v so you could upgrade to 48v in the future...
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:48 PM   #3
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

But in answer to your implied question "will converting it make me go faster" the answer (unless there is something wrong with your V-Glide throw or your resistors and solenoid setup currently) is....no, not really. Flat-out eliminates the resistors from the circuit -and that would be the same whether converted or not. If you want to go "faster" on your existing cart with 36v, then you would need to change the motor.
joesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 05:30 PM   #4
DD1229
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the response, I guess the next question is the cart crawls on any type of grade so is it the motor or the V-glide / resistor setup. Got to say that the v-glide dosent look too bad visualy but the resistors are very crusty looking. I was unable to get any bolts loose to clean them off. I have replaced battery cables with 4 ga (1 at a time so no mix up) and a new solenoid. Any thoughts are appreciated DD
DD1229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 05:47 PM   #5
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

I think it's kind of the nature of the resistor carts...
They say stock speed should be around 12 mph on level ground for these things.
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:02 PM   #6
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

Gonna go with Jake on this one - I helped a neighbor with his 36v CC resistor cart (just general maintenance) and I was *underwhelmed* with both the speed and the hill climbing. It didn't stall - it always kept chugging to the top of even the steeper small hills I drove it on - but I've crawled home after too much beer on men's night, at a faster pace.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:24 PM   #7
sunoco
STEALTH 4X4

Club Car

Upgrade the cart to 48v solid state and leave the 36v motor in
sunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:33 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The upgrade to 48v will make your stock motor produce 33% more torque and speed. That's 16mph on stock tires and about 18-19 on big tires with the stock motor running on 48 volts.

You do not have to change the motor to get more speed.
It will spin faster on more voltage.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:13 PM   #9
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

Of course you are right - a new motor isn't necessary, unless you accept the OP original premise (eg. bought new batteries 6 -6 volt) and (eg. move to 48 volts in a few years) - then the only way to go faster now (eg. I would like it to look stock and fly), is a motor!

Personally, I would buy TWO MORE 6v batteries & mount them as described in quite a few articles on this forum (or sell them and buy 8's). Then do the 48v conversion. Really no easy way to get speed (from 36v) without virtually all of the up front costs happening at once.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:30 PM   #10
physcoflip
Getting Wild
Club Car

The big tires aren't just for looks they add speed. However they add load to the batteries. Big tires would be the cheapest route for increased speed in the short run, but could lead to more expense by burning components up. The 48 volt upgrade is probably a reasonable priced , but you already dropped a hefty price into new batteries so why do that again so soon. If you go with the 48 volt you should definitely upgrade to solid state. Of corse you could go solid star get two more new six volts which would give you a speed increase longer run times with the 8 six volts. Hope I didn't confuse you further.
physcoflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car