lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-06-2014, 11:18 AM   #1
gcroz
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Question Need new seals for a Robin EC 17 DS 1PG for EZ Go 1971 -1975

Help I need to find new seals for my 1973 EZ GO with the Robin 1PG engine , EC17DS. Has anyone found these anywhere I am really having a hard time finding them anywhere. Can anyone please help me... I have about 70 lbs of compression and I'm sure the seals are part of this problem and also new Rings may be another issue. anyone.... anyone with help would be appreciated ...Thank You all so much in advance for help
gcroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-06-2014, 11:30 AM   #2
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Default Re: Need new seals for a Robin EC 17 DS 1PG for EZ Go 1971 -1975

Is this the same motor you have?

Manual
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 11:49 AM   #3
gcroz
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

It is similar.. not exactly... may be the same seals I don't know... You have some seals or new Rings??
Old 04-06-2014, 11:52 AM   #4
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

The 244cc robin motors gaskets are all the same. Even the 244cc motors they made for Polaris use the same gaskets. It is likely that the 175cc motors were the same way. Look at the diagram and see if the gaskets look the same as yours. If they do, the seals may be the same as well.
Old 04-06-2014, 01:25 PM   #5
gcroz
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Thanks for that Download...the single crank oil seal that I can see the number on (opposite of the clutch side) is exactly the number on this diagram.. So I'm wondering and betting that all the necessary components IE: all the gaskets seals bearings and piston with rings and so forth are the same. Any bets?? Hey does anyone have a solution to remove the clutch from the spindle on this engine I have everything stripped off but cant seem to get the clutch off the crank shaft.. any home made puller ideas?? Anyone??
Old 04-06-2014, 01:38 PM   #6
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Got a pic of the clutch? Where the mounting bolt goes in.
What size is the hole, and what size is the bolt?
Old 04-06-2014, 02:23 PM   #7
gcroz
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Yes I can get a picture. The bolt is long about 7" it goes down into the shaft and is threaded into it at the bottom. There are also some additional threads at the top of the clutch shaft that are not used for any assembly so I'm assuming they are for some type of a puller to screw in there .. but I'm not sure exactly how that works.
Old 04-06-2014, 03:05 PM   #8
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

The procedure will be the same as for the later engines but the size of the bolts might be different. For the 2PG you will need a 3/4 inch fine thread G8 bolt 2 inches long. You also need a 7/8ths steel rod 3 inches long. You place the rod into the clutch and then wind in the bolt. The rod rest on the end of the crankshaft and the bolt it wound into the clutch. As you apply pressure the clutch is forced off the crankshaft. Well that's the theory, however it can be real tough as the clutch will probably be cold welded to the shaft. I would first spray liberally with PB Blaster and allow it to soak overnight. Some folks swear by filling the hole with grease first with gives some hydraulic effect. Of course the problem you will have is that the engine will try to turn as you tighten the screw. If you have an impact wrench you will be golden but failing that a strap wrench comes a poor second.
The size of the thread on the 1PG may be different so I suggest that you buy a couple of bolts and run them in to find the right size first, when you have determined the bolt size get the rod 1/8 inch smaller.
As a slight aside the engine is Japanese so all the bolts are metric everything else is American (including the clutch, if it is original) so the threads are Imperial.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:14 PM   #9
gcroz
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Thank You so much Dave.... Great Post. The PB Blaster is doing its thing as I write this. I will have that bad boy off today!! Thanks
Old 04-07-2014, 09:53 PM   #10
gcroz
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

And Pop.....off it came just as predicted. I didn't even use the Impact wrench or Hammer drill I just Torqued her down and smacked it with a hammer, Tightened her back up again, repeat, hit it again, repeat and pop off it was. Thanks Dave, Nicely Done. Appreciate You. OBTW to keep the engine from turning over while tightening the bolt I ran a chord down the spark plug hole then when the piston compressed it the crank wont turn anymore... old trick from my Dad..turn it backwards and pull the chord out the hole when your done.

Tags
1pg, ec 17 ds, ez go 1971-1975
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO