lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-25-2014, 12:39 PM   #31
jacef8
Getting Wild

Default Re: Good deal?

Well I just picked it up. Everything looks nice and clean. Don't think the guy really knew what he had. It's not running though. He says the guy at the golf cart store told him his batteries were too dead to even take a charge. It has a voltmeter that is constantly flashing the last single red bar even when the key is out. Not sure what that is about. The windshield is in good shape as well as the cloth enclosure. It has aftermarket lights that supposedly worked prior to the batteries going bad. The guy I bought it from is the second owner with himself and the original owner both owning it inside a retirement community in Tampa.on the way down the trailer blew a tire so that cost us $100 and along with gas I probably have about $1300 in the trip for me and the wife.
jacef8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-25-2014, 01:33 PM   #32
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Good News...Next we'll need pictures.
usgicollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 02:03 PM   #33
crash test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacef8 View Post
a retirement community in Tampa.on the way down the trailer blew a tire so that cost us $100 and along with gas I probably have about $1300 in the trip for me and the wife.
should of stop in for a cold one

flashing light is the batteries are under charged ...get batteries replaced a s a p and we'll help in anyway we can

lights may run off a reducer
Old 05-25-2014, 09:02 PM   #34
jacef8
Getting Wild

Well we made it home without any incident. Originally I thought that the cart was going to run somewhat. Turns out it doesn't run at all. He says prior to what he thinks is battery problems the cart ran great. But now nothing. Does that seem right? I figured it would have just slowly progressively gotten shorter run times and less power. It may have done that to a degree but the way it seemed to us is that is was a little more sudden. He says he is about to move back to Ohio and is selling everything off so he wasn't interested in fixing it. He did replace one battery (the grey one pictured- 8v) that he was told was bad by the golf cart shop as well as having the charger tested which was perfectly fine so says he. He was under the impression the rest of the batteries were beyond any use at all as well. He also said that he left a few fuses in the dash because he has had to replace them from time to time in an in-line fuse off of one of the batteries I believe. Should the volt meter on the dash always be on even with key out? Doesn't seem right to me. With all that said i'm going to go through all the electronics tomorrow the best I know how and make sure he hasn't done anything to cause the problems he was having. Is there a way to charge batteries individually without a dedicated 8v battery charger? All I have currently is regular 6v-12v selectable car battery chargers. I was also thinking of swapping out the 8v batteries tomorrow with a few 12v that I have here to make 48v just to check everything before I drop that kind of money on a whole new battery bank if that isn't the main culprit. Good Idea or No?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0190.jpg (210.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0191.jpg (81.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0192.jpg (266.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0195.jpg (211.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0196.jpg (89.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-26-2014, 08:00 AM   #35
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

So Jace, seems like nobody else is up but you and me.

Great cart for the price I think. His battery story is plausible. When the batteries get low enough they don't produce enough energy to turn the motor especially with weight on the wheels. Your idea of using 4 12vs to check operation is reasonable and better than trying to put come charge in the original 8v batteries with an inappropriate charger. Make sure you wire them in series and get the main + and main - in the right place. Suggest you raise the cart for this check. You just want to see if it runs. Don't floor it with the rear wheels off the ground.
If you don't have a digital multimeter, get one. You will need it. Doesn't have to be an expensive one but it must be digital. If you have one make sure the battery in it is good or it will lie to you.
Battery state of charge meters (SOC) can be wired to operate with the key switch or on all the time like yours. Either is common.

The high current cables look corroded in the pictures and are probably worse than they look. I'm fairly certain you will need new batteries and you should replace the cables also. When buying batteries make sure you get golf cart specific batteries. They are different than regular deep cycle ones. This is the heart of an electric cart. Don't skimp here and take the time to learn about battery care as they are expensive. Good reading here as a start: http://www.cartsunlimited.net/How_Batteries_Work.html

Probably time to start a new thread in the club car section so you can get guidance from CC experts.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 02:09 PM   #36
jacef8
Getting Wild

Is there a way to test this charger the needle isn't moving and I don't hear it humming or making any noise at all? Kernal I do have a multimeter, been rewiring a boat all day unfortunately. One project at a time. Should have it done in an hour or so ans off the the cart. I've had a few 12v batteries on charge today hopefully get them installed today just to check it all out. And if I need to move my project to a different part of the forum I will. Probably be a week or two though because I'm sure everyone is going to tell me to start off with new batteries and I wont be able to get them for a week or two. Thanks for all the advice thus far.
Old 05-26-2014, 05:22 PM   #37
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Charger needs to see a minimum voltage from the pack to turn on. Your batteries are probably too dead so the charger doesn't see them. In Club Cars the charger is controlled by the OBC ( on board computer ). Now that you're getting into the electronics its best to post in the CC section where the CC knowledge is concentrated. No rush though.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 05:28 PM   #38
crash test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernal View Post
Charger needs to see a minimum voltage from the pack to turn on. Your batteries are probably too dead so the charger doesn't see them. In Club Cars the charger is controlled by the OBC ( on board computer ). Now that you're getting into the electronics its best to post in the CC section where the CC knowledge is concentrated. No rush though.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/electric-club-car/

there is a way to bypass OBC to get batteries up to volts to get charger to turn on
Old 05-27-2014, 08:48 AM   #39
jacef8
Getting Wild

Well that was it. I was able to individually charge a few of the batteries somewhat then plugged the charger up and it came right on. CTD i got your message, was getting ready to try that when I got it working without. Thanks though. I will be moving this thread to the CC section as advised earlier. Hopefully yall will follow along help keep helping. I have really appreciated it so far.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:42 AM   #40
jacef8
Getting Wild

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...ml#post1033132 Here is the link to the new forum entry. Hope yall follow along!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO