lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-08-2014, 08:26 PM   #1
RudeJoe
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default DS- changing from fiberglass body to plastic question

I have an 89 DS with a fiberglass rear body. Reading a lot of posts here I should be able to readily change to a newer plastic version (which I've already purchased). However, I noticed in an exploded drawing in another thread that the plastic body version has a metal frame that comes up the front of the body and receives the seat hinge bolts. I assume it also supports the seat.

My cart does not have this framework. I assume the plastic body requires this as its not as rigid and strong as the fiberglass body.

My cart also does not have the channel? that captures the bottom edge of the front of the plastic rear body.

For all of you that have installed a newer body on an older cart how did you deal with these issues? Did you need to find an old cart for donor parts?

Thanks!
RudeJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-08-2014, 09:05 PM   #2
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Default Re: DS- changing from fiberglass body to plastic question

My buddy was in the same situation as you a few months ago. He bought a newer body but no supports came with it. He ended up making his own supports based off of mine (my cart is an '87 but the body was upgraded about 15 years ago). There's not a whole lot to them, a few pieces of steel and a welder and you could be in business.

Here are the pics of my support piece that I took when I removed my cart's body for some other work. The long measurement is 35.5" and the height measurement is about 10.5"

Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:10 PM   #3
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

There's also an angled metal piece that fits below the rear edge of the seat, but my buddy didn't re-make that piece for his cart, he said it felt solid enough without it.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:30 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Also on the front cowl you will need to shim (1/4 - 3/8ths") between the frame and the body at the windshield frame bolts.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 11:26 AM   #5
RudeJoe
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springbok View Post
There's also an angled metal piece that fits below the rear edge of the seat, but my buddy didn't re-make that piece for his cart, he said it felt solid enough without it.
Thanks for the image of the part and the dimensions. It does look simple. I don't have access to a welder so I'll have to see what I can do.

Also, I didn't see that rear support on the drawing. Good to know it is there and that I may not need it. Is it just mounted to the body and not attached or supported by the cart's frame?

Scottyb- Thanks for the info on the shim. I was aware that I'd need one but wasn't sure of the thickness.

On a side note... I've been thinking about getting a welder as it seems like it would be useful for so many things. I've watched a few YouTube videos on basics of arc welding. I gather aluminum can't be stick welded? Do the cheap harbor Freight units work well enough for an initial try? Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg c8rearbodygasqg0.jpg (113.0 KB, 0 views)
RudeJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 11:43 AM   #6
tjequip
Gone Wild

Club Car

Aluminum can be stick welded but it takes a bit of practice.
tjequip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 11:49 AM   #7
tjequip
Gone Wild

Club Car

I made a support like springbok posted but I didn't weld it. Where the upright supports meet the angle I countersunk holes in the angle and bolted it together.
tjequip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 12:05 PM   #8
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudeJoe View Post
Also, I didn't see that rear support on the drawing. Good to know it is there and that I may not need it. Is it just mounted to the body and not attached or supported by the cart's frame?
The metal rear support under the seat I mentioned bolts to the frame at the rear of the seat, and the body bolts on top. It's just a long piece of flat stock, about 1/4" thick, maybe 30" long. It's bent longways at an obtuse angle (looks like a piece of angle iron, but with a 130 degree bend instead of 90) and simply supports the back edge of the seat resting on it.
Old 07-09-2014, 04:12 PM   #9
tpg
Gone Wild
Club Car

Someone is parting out a CC in the parts section. I bet they have the piece you need.
tpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car