lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-28-2014, 08:27 PM   #21
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: obc kit

Yes it is that simple - run a black wire from the back of the charging socket to the last negative post of your battery pack (probably 12 ga but might be 14ga. wire - can't recall)

Quote:
Will the charger still turn on and off
Your original Powerdrive charger won't turn off - but a good DPI charger like the one that Scotty B. sells (http://www.cartsunlimited.net/48v_Battery_Charger.html) - will not only turn itself on and off, but it will monitor the state of charge and keep your batteries at optimum voltage. And I'm sure his charger comes with a compatible plug and instructions on how to do the bypass - because many people don't like the OBC system. Most people don't actually remove the OBC - just bypass it. Plus - you might find someone to buy your OEM charger to help with the cost.

Quote:
does the OBC have anything to do with the running of the cart
In a word - yes - but its not an issue. The OBC tells the controller that the cart is being charged (grey wire), and won't allow you to drive away dragging the charger behind you. If you bypass the OBC sensing lead (which is what running a wire to the negative post does), the OBC just assumes the cart is "never" plugged in, so it will allow you to drive away....even with your new charger "accidentally" left plugged in. The people who bypass the OBC usually run the charging cord thru their steering wheel before plugging into the charging socket - so nobody can make that mistake.

Very few people actually remove the OBC, they simply bypass it.
joesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-28-2014, 09:52 PM   #22
sonnysmith
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Joesam

In one of the earlier post by tahodawg. He said don't even try to bypass the OBC on the regen 1. Was there something I missed???? as stated I know very little about club cars. I do have stand lone chargers for ez go's that I could change the ends on. If all of this will work.
Thanks
Sonny
sonnysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:58 PM   #23
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnysmith View Post
Joesam

In one of the earlier post by tahodawg. He said don't even try to bypass the OBC on the regen 1. Was there something I missed???? as stated I know very little about club cars. I do have stand lone chargers for ez go's that I could change the ends on. If all of this will work.
Thanks
Sonny
What Joesam is saying is perfectly fine. He's suggesting to leave the OBC on the car and leave it connected. Unhook the OBC from the back of the charger receptacle and run an external charge circuit that doesn't utilize the OBC. The end result is a happy car that has an OBC and an external charge circuit that can use a DPI charger. All is well.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:07 PM   #24
sonnysmith
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

and this will not affect any thing else ????
Old 07-28-2014, 10:12 PM   #25
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnysmith View Post
and this will not affect any thing else ????
Yeah, the flashing battery light on the dash will flash all the time because the OBC can't detect that you're charging the car. Unplug it.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:23 PM   #26
sonnysmith
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks men this will save me a lot of money,,,, but for those that come after me.
There should be a better definition of ( By pass) for some of us that don't know or stand. I did not realize you could leave it (OBC) in the circuit and just change some wires and charger. That's great.

Thanks all IF this works then I will close this thread.

Sonny
Old 07-28-2014, 10:24 PM   #27
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

Actually Tahoe - unless he has an upgraded OBC - it won't flash at all. After each charge with my DPI charger, my OEM light (Red not amber) just turns on for 30 seconds after I turn the key on....satisfies itself that the cart has enough power....and turns off.

Also, just as original - about once every hour or hour and a half of use, it turns on for 30 seconds....checks state of charge....and turns off. Done that since new - no matter whether the OEM charger, or this new one. These original Regen 1's are queer ducks....nothing works exactly like is described on later models. I think later OBC's were much "smarter" than the ones we have.

And yes, Sonnysmith - it works fine - mine's been bypassed since last October - at least 45 charge cycles since spring golf season started...maybe more.
joesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 11:43 PM   #28
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

On your cart it may supply the neg(-) side of the solenoid activation circuit. Just run a wire for that to main (-) and you will be good to go !
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car