lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-12-2015, 04:21 PM   #1
Naturile
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Warm wires

I was riding my cart today half speed, ezgo txt 1 year old us batteries Scotty battery cables plum quick motor heavy duty f/r switch from Scotty 36 volts . It just quit moving got off the wires from the f/r we're warm not hot let it sit for 15 minutes got on it and now works fine????? What do you think is the problem?
Naturile is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-12-2015, 06:42 PM   #2
Revolution
Voltaholic

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Warm wires

Was the controller hot also? You might try cleaning all of your cables if they are not spotless. But take some voltage readings of the pack the next time you drive it.
Revolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 08:45 PM   #3
Naturile
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Nope only the wires from the f/r switch everything else was fine, but I know riding at half throttle is hard on them
Old 03-13-2015, 09:28 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Sounds like the controller went into over-temp shutdown.

What controller are you running?

The controller temperature is typically sensed on the bus bar the MOSFETs are attached to (M-), so the controller case could feel relatively cool when an over-temp condition existed at the M- bus.

Scotty makes some exceptionally good cables, but like all cables with copper conductors, if you run a lot of amps through them, they will warm up some and 4Ga cable will warm more the 2Ga cables at the same amp flow.

If you are running tires taller than 18" plus a high speed motor, the amp draw can be mighty high when driving at low speeds.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 12:21 PM   #5
Naturile
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

20 inch tires 400 amp curtis
Old 03-13-2015, 01:35 PM   #6
DaveTM
Gone Wild

No smell of "rubber" (aka wire coating) burning?
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 02:49 PM   #7
Naturile
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

No nothing got that hot the wires were just warm, only 2 wires from the f/r switch! I rode it today it was fine but not slow like yesterday. I just don't like. It knowing when and if it will do it again
Old 03-13-2015, 05:09 PM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Unless they are low pressure type (<10 PSI max inflation pressure), 20" tires aren't big amp hogs, so a 400A controller (Curtis 1204?) ought to be okay.

In a series drive, the same amount of current (in fact, the same current) flows through all 13 high current cables, so all 13 ought to run at about the same temperature. (The longer cable may run slightly warmer - they have more resistance since they are longer.)

If some are getting significantly warmer that the others, verify the connections are clean and properly tightened. Battery studs are only about 8.5 ft/lb, but I don't know the torque specs for the F/R switch and motor, so look them up.

I've yet to find any specs on how much cable warming is acceptable, but my guess is about 10°F above ambient air temperature is normal.

------
Is there a thermal pad or thermal grease between the controller and heatsink? If not, it might be a good idea to remount it, using thermal grease.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 05:37 PM   #9
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Longer cables also have more length and surface area to cool so they should not really run hotter. The place most folks get into trouble is at the connections. Either where the wire is crimped to the connector or at the bolted connection itself. These must be very clean and secure. Warm wires won't hurt anything if they are really warm. (No pain when you hold onto them.)
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 05:55 PM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

In my HD F&R heat tests temps at Solenoid and F&R terminals ran into the 130º range without component damage with aftermarket motors on long steep inclines. This feels pretty warm to touch.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO