lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-18-2015, 11:57 AM   #1
mattadata
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Alltrax DCX500 for my 36 Volt PDS?

I am considering buying a used Alltrax DCX500 controller for my 36 Volt EZGO PDS. The long term plan was to get a new DCX400, but the used DCX500 cost less.
I will be running stock motor, stock tire heights (17 inches), and 4 AWG cables. Future upgrades may include larger diameter wheels/tires.
Besides getting an upgraded solenoid, is there anything else I need to consider? Can/should it be programmed to only accept 400 amps with my stock motor?

Thanks!
mattadata is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-18-2015, 01:18 PM   #2
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Alltrax DCX500 for my 36 Volt PDS?

Until you get a better motor you can tune it down to only output 400 amps..
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 02:06 PM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattadata View Post
I am considering buying a used Alltrax DCX500 controller for my 36 Volt EZGO PDS. The long term plan was to get a new DCX400, but the used DCX500 cost less.
I will be running stock motor, stock tire heights (17 inches), and 4 AWG cables. Future upgrades may include larger diameter wheels/tires.
Besides getting an upgraded solenoid, is there anything else I need to consider? Can/should it be programmed to only accept 400 amps with my stock motor?

Thanks!
If the used DCX500 comes with a money back guarantee that it is functioning correctly, it might be a good deal.

Go with the 400A/1000A super-duty solenoid, it works at 36V, 42V and 48V so it won't have to be changed if you ever decided to up the pack voltage.

With your 17" tires, leaving it at 500A might be okay with a stock PDS motor if you back off on the throttle up rate setting, but I'd probably back it off to about 450A if the driver has a heavy foot off the starting line and with taller tires, backing it off to 400 might be a good idea.

The only time the motor can draw all the amps the controller allows is while it is spinning at low RPM (less than 1,000RPM, or about 4MPH with 17" tires) and with tiny tires, the motor revs quickly, so it isn't vulnerable to excessive amperage very long. With taller tires, it take the motor a bit longer to rev out of the danger zone.

About the throttle up rate setting:
When the pedal is pushed, the ITS sensor instantly sends a signal to the controller telling it how far the pedal is pushed, but how fast the controller's output responds to that signal is adjustable. Basically, with a highest setting (15) when the pedal is slammed to the floor, the motor instantly gets hit with all the amps the controller can pass. With a lower setting, the output of the controller is ramped up from 0% to 100% over a period of time, allowing the motor to rev up some before max amps are available to it.

I'm running the same height tires you are and I had to drop the throttle up rate all the way down to 2 so I could take off on grass or loose gravel without spinning the tires. (I could do it at higher setting, but I had use a very light touch on the pedal and I'm forgetful. ) Of course I'm running an 11.8 HP aftermarket motor and a 42V pack, but the principle still applies.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 02:41 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Used controls are equivalent to buying a pig in a poke. You might be buying somebody else's worn & torn problem or you might get lucky, but you won't get the 2 year warranty you get with a new Alltrax.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO