lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-21-2015, 02:58 AM   #1
vanderark
Not Yet Wild

Default Late 80's EZGO Intermittent Power Fail

Hi All, I have a late 88-94 36V Electric EZGO (Western). Good batteries. I have an intermittent fault where it just stops. No loose wires I can see. The solenoid is clicking when the Pedal is depressed. Batteries charged and Controller has been checked by supplier and is OK. Driving me mad... any idea's would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Tony
vanderark is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-21-2015, 11:36 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Late 80's EZGO Intermittent Power Fail

If the solenoid clicks when the pedal is pushed, the problem is in the high current circuit.

If it is a series drive, chances are high that the F/R switch is the problem.
Try wiggling the F/R lever when the cart misbehaves.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 05:50 PM   #3
vanderark
Not Yet Wild

Thanks JohnnieB, I put in a whole new switch, and per your advice gave it quite a few Jiggles... I have had some switch trouble before where that worked, hence the new switch, but no luck.. It is a Series Wound and I have attached photos of the motor, controller and resistor linkage... I would appreciate any other ideas. Thanks heaps !! Tony

Buggy 1.JPG

Buggy 2.JPG

Buggy 3.JPG
Old 03-22-2015, 09:08 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Essentially, you have a Marathon with a Alltrax AXE 300A controller and a GE D297 (Hi-Speed) motor nestled under a Western cart body.

When the solenoid clicks and the cart doesn't go, does the LED on the AXE flash once (0-5K throttle) and go to steady green, or does it flash a red error code?

Connect a DVM between the B- and M- terminals on controller.
While cart is misbehaving, check the voltage.
It should be about 1-5V less than pack voltage before solenoid clicks (Due the the 250Ω resistor across the solenoid's large terminals) and full pack voltage when pedal is pushed just far enough to make solenoid click.

If you don't have voltage between B- and M-, find it and you'll find the problem.

If pedal is pushed further, the voltage should decrease towards Zero, reaching Zero, or close to it, when pedal is on floor.

------------
I noticed what looks to be a stock solenoid, which is only rated at 85A, so it might have some burnt contacts. It might click, but not actually connect the battery to the controller. But, I believe it would fail to start the cart, rather than stopping the cart while moving.

I also noticed some stacking issues on the controller bus terminals. It appears the there is a bolt through the terminal, then a nut on the bolt, then the cable lug, then another nut.

The cable lugs (heavy ring terminal) should be in intimate contact with the controller's high current bus bars.

On the bolt through bus bars, use both sides of the bus bar to provide direct contact for two cables. (Bolt, flat-washer, cable, bus bar, cable, flat washer, lock-washer, nut.

If there are more than one cable or wire on the same stud type connector, (IE: Battery and Solenoid studs) the cable/wire that carries the most current should be the first one on the stud, followed by the lesser current carriers and then a flat washer, maybe a lock-washer and finally the nut.
Old 03-23-2015, 03:07 AM   #5
vanderark
Not Yet Wild

Hi,
The LED on the Controller doesn't come on at all. The Voltage between M- and B- is 36.5V and when you click on the Solenoid it goes to main battery voltage of 38.2V... but it stays there and doesn't decrease at all as you depress the Pedal. I'm not sure if that's progress but I really appreciate the help. Note the buggy isn't going at all.. Thanks Tony
Old 03-23-2015, 08:06 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

If the LED on the controller doesn't come on at all, the controller is not powering up, so it won't send power to motor.

Check for pack voltage on pin 1. Blue wire from pedal switch in picture #1.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:25 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I agree - check the supply for the small red wire on your potentiometer micro switch where the control pin #1 blue wire is connected....
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 03:25 AM   #8
vanderark
Not Yet Wild

Hi Johnnie & Scotty,

I checked the Voltage at both Pin # 1 the small Blue Wire and at the Red wire on the Pot Micro Switch... From the Negative terminal it is the Pack Voltage when the ignition switch is turned on and zero when off. When the Pedal is pressed enough for the solenoid to click there is the same Pack voltage on the other side of the Pot Micro Switch as well. Not sure if this is relevant, but from the Positive terminal you get the Negative pack voltage at Pin #1 even with the ignition off - but I guess that makes sense? What do you think? thanks again guys !! Tony
Old 03-24-2015, 06:00 AM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanderark View Post
Hi Johnnie & Scotty,

1. I checked the Voltage at both Pin # 1 the small Blue Wire and at the Red wire on the Pot Micro Switch... From the Negative terminal it is the Pack Voltage when the ignition switch is turned on and zero when off.

2. When the Pedal is pressed enough for the solenoid to click there is the same Pack voltage on the other side of the Pot Micro Switch as well.

3. Not sure if this is relevant, but from the Positive terminal you get the Negative pack voltage at Pin #1 even with the ignition off - but I guess that makes sense? What do you think? thanks again guys !! Tony
1. If you have pack voltage on Pin-1 and the B- terminal on the controller is connected to the main negative of the battery pack, the LED should illuminate.

2. That is the voltage that makes the solenoid click.

3. The control switches switch the voltage that is positive with respect to the negative side of the battery pack, so if you change the reference point to the positive side of the battery pack and are using a high impedance input DVM, you'll find a negative voltage just about everywhere since you've eliminated all the switches.

The attached drawing shows how to power up an AXE on the bench.
If you have over about 18V between the controller's B- terminal and Pin-1, the LED ought to be on. Could be Flashing or Stead, and Green, Yellow or Red, but it will be ON.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AXE bench power.jpg (21.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-26-2015, 02:52 AM   #10
vanderark
Not Yet Wild

Hi, I bench tested the AXE controller and no LED... So assume its broken.
About a Year ago a "professional" buggy mechanic replaced the controller - it originally had a Curtis 1204-009 controller. He then said it needed a F/R switch as well, but assured me the Curtis was dead. I put the old Curtis back in today and it works! I won't jump for joy until I see if it works okay for a few weeks... AND I have no idea why the new controller failed (do you have any ideas ?). THANK YOU SO MUCH for you help !! cheers Tony

Tags
electric, fault, intermittent, western
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO