lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-23-2015, 09:44 PM   #1
Sadiedog
Not Yet Wild

Default 2004 EZGO 36V Series Cart

I would like to pick up a little more speed and torque for this series cart. I have no intention of adding bigger tires or a lift kit or a new motor. Would just adding a new controller do the trick? If so, are these generally plug/play or does adding a new controller take much more work?

I am trying to keep the cost down. What would be the lowest amp controller that would work.

Thanks in advance.
Sadiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-24-2015, 06:49 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2004 EZGO 36V Series Cart

A higher ampacity controller will give you more low end torque, but the speed will stay the same.

To increase the speed of a series cart, you have but three options, and combinations thereof.
1. Increase the pack voltage.
2. Change the motor.
3. Change the final drive ratio. (Tire height and/or differential gears.)

Options 2 & 3 reduce torque while increasing speed, but you mentioned you have no intentions of doing either, so it is a moot point. That leaves Option-1, which increases both Torque and Speed.

To increase pack voltage, you will have to replace both the controller and the solenoid with ones that match the voltage of the battery pack, In addition, you will need to get a charger that matches the pack voltage also.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 06:56 AM   #3
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Unfortunately, a series cart is costly to add speed and torque, but pretty easy.

Roughly speaking, amps will give you more torque, and voltage will give you more speed.

If your speed on flats is OK and the slowing down on hills, or with passengers is your only problem, more amps might make you happy.

That would involve upgrading the controller, all big cables, solenoid, and FNR.

You can do this incrementally, and I would recommend planning on ultimately going to higher voltage, once your battery pack needs replacement, so plan on buying parts that can handle 42 or 48 volts later, but still work at your current 36 volts. Your stock motor at 48 volts and 400 amps will make you quite happy. Depending on the length of your trip, hills, passenger weight, paved or off road, etc., I ran my stock motor on 500 amps, you just need to monitor the temperature.

If you decide to go to a higher voltage in the future, you'll also need a new charger. You can sell the old one, as well as the stock controller to recoup some of that money.

Call ScottyB and tell him exactly what you have and want and he'll set you up.

http://www.cartsunlimited.net/

It would be worth your while to read all of the links on the left of his home page, to get a better understanding of how upgrading works. Also good to read all of his battery maintenance info as well.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:15 PM   #4
Sadiedog
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the helpful responses.
Sadiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 01:01 AM   #5
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Still amazes me, this is the most active forum (without trolls) i know of. Way to go!
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 06:16 AM   #6
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I'm guessing the mods ban trolls, but allow healthy discourse to a point, even when it gets a little heated. Gotta be kinda thick skinned on forums anyway.

Definitely one of the best and most informative forums I've seen. Wish I had found it before blindly buying my buggy, but I'm quite happy with how it turned out. Buying parts and pieces blindly, based on an incomplete understanding of the whole system would have resulted in a less than desirable outcome.

I decided to do performance upgrades, and not bling (yet). I see a lot of buggies where folks put on lifts, big tires, etc. and wonder why the stock cart strains going uphill with four passengers.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 09:46 AM   #7
rbuggies48IN
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Check out rebuilding your motor and/or controller and save 40% to 60% vs. new (less than $ 300.00 each. Just do the motor and you can get more speed and torque or just mostly speed, your choice. Larger rear tires will add a few mph for under $ 150 for new, but even less from used.
rbuggies48IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO