lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-27-2015, 06:00 AM   #1
racoutlaw
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Exclamation New setup/slow go

Ok friend of mine has just upgraded to a 400amp alltrex programmable controller and new motor.. The motor is a
hp mph torque
D@D 170-004-0001 - 8.0 12 +40
runs right at 12mph on level ground but when it comes to a hill and not that big of one it will drop down to around 5mph and the motor is only drawing around 150-200amps...Should it not be able to draw more than that with the controller being 400amp so that the cart could maintain its speed or is that how things work and there is nothing wrong with it.

his cart is a 2002 ezgo 36v lifted with bigger tires series with magnetic style throttle under your foot under the floor... Thanks for the help on this...

My stock 94 ezgo 36v stock tires does around 12-15 and stays around 6-7mph up a hill.so my question is whats wrong with his setup or why buy all that if it does not help
racoutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-27-2015, 06:49 AM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: New setup/slow go

if he upgraded his controller and motor......did he upgrade anything else?

is his cart a SERIES or a SEPEX drive?

did he upgrade the solenoid?

are his high current cables stock? or did he upgrade those?

if its a series drive......did he upgrade the F&R switch?
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 07:45 AM   #3
Revolution
Voltaholic

Mixed Breed

That sounds correct for that motor and controller combo.

I am running two of that exact motor on my big cart. I am using two AXE72450's. I am running them at 72 volts.

With both motors engaged it tops out at 25-31 mph on flat ground, a bit less with one motor pulling.

Depending on the hill I can run 15-20mph.

These are serious torque motors, not for speed unless you apply more volts.

I am twice as fast with twice the voltage and double the motors and not quite double the weight.
Revolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 07:49 AM   #4
Revolution
Voltaholic

Mixed Breed

Just to add the difference in your two setups is not obvious until you place a large load on both carts.

Chain the two carts together and see who gets dragged around, your buddy will likely pull you around like you are not even there.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:46 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The D&D motor mentioned is a High-Torque motor. It sacrifices about 15% of the max RPM it will reach at 36V (or any other pack voltage) for a 40% increase in low end torque.

Your friend's cart's top speed is 12 MPH, which is the expected top speed for that motor, but you stated his cart has bigger tires, so his cart's top speed ought to be faster. (IE: With tires that are 22" tall, his cart ought to do about 17 MPH.) That discrepancy indicates the high current cables, solenoid and/or the F/R switch are incapable of delivering the amps needed to the controller/motor, and/or the battery pack is incapable of producing the needed amps.

There is also the possibility your friend has low pressure type tires (max inflation pressure under 10 PSI), which are amp hog and ten to reduce cart performance in both speed and torque areas. But you also state the amp dray is only 150A-200A at 5 MPH, which points toward not enough torque is being generate rather than excessive torque being used.

At 5 MPH the motor would be turning less than 1,000 RPM if the tires are 22" tall, and at that RPM the motor will draw more amps at 36V than your friend's 400A controller will pass. Even it the tires were stock height (18"), the motor RPM would be under 1,200 and the motor would be capable of drawing over 350A.

In a nutshell, I'm about 99.9% sure the problem is that the high current cables, contacts and connections, and maybe the battery pack are inadequate.

Sounds like your friend has a good start on upgrading his cart, but is only about halfway to two-thirds of the way completed.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 11:55 AM   #6
racoutlaw
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Ok thanks for all the info as always. I know he just got new bigger batteris what kind I would have to look.I also know he upgraded the cables on the batteries but I don't think so to anything else and everything else is stock. The f/r switch contactor and all... On a side not I did make it hit little over the 400amps of the controller but that was only by holding the brakes and getting on the throttle just to ser if it could reach it...
and yes it is a 36v series cart..I told him to make it 48v and buy a new charger if he wanted more..😁
Old 03-27-2015, 03:56 PM   #7
racoutlaw
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Was wrong on last post. He got it as a kit so he got motor controller upgraded cables and contactor just the f/r switch is stock...

what if we went with this motor

6.1 Hp, 5330 RPM at 36 VDC

or this one

8.3 HP Peak @ 3250 rpms on 36 volts8.3 10.5 HP Peak @ 3950 rpms on 48 volts..

would it give good speed but our concern is what will it do with the hills? will the drop on speed be helped or hurt with the increase in rpm's or would it fall flat on its face?? Thanks for helping with this i guess if it was your choice what would be the best one
Old 03-27-2015, 06:08 PM   #8
Revolution
Voltaholic

Mixed Breed

I would be lying if I told you what kind of performance you will get from these other motors. I only chimed in since I run two the same as you mentioned, and I used them on 48 and 72 volts.

I was not happy with them at 48 volts, I never measured their speed at 48 volts but it was slow. Even with 72 volts and and 25" tires 31mph is tops. BUT I can spin all four tires on gravel and grass, and climb steep enough to flip the cart over backwards.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:16 PM   #9
Revolution
Voltaholic

Mixed Breed

My other cart, 72 volt and the same controller runs 40+ with 20" tires. The PQ motor in it is spinning at or near 8,000 rpm at 40mph so I never really go faster than 35mph to keep the cart and my a$$ in one piece. The PQ motor is running out of rpm at that speed anyway.

I have a hard time believing most published data for golf cart motors. I have spent enough time in the hvac and electrical world to know that none of these cart motors is tested and published the same from motor to motor and company to company.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:38 PM   #10
racoutlaw
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I have looked at that plumquick site before but from what i see on there looks like they all just club car and not ezgo...Thanks for the help and will get back once i try a few thing out i guess
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO