lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-23-2015, 11:05 PM   #1
SRRJ
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Trying to find option to extend distance per day

Hello, I'm new to this forum. I have a custom EZ-GO 36V electric cart, it's one of the long flat beds that I've turned into a trash cart to pick up trash. Basically it has a big cage around the perimeter of the bed.

I know almost nothing about electricity or the mechanics of the golf cart. I am looking for information that I can take to someone who can do this for me.

I clean outdoor events, and I use this cart all day. So far I can get a good 10 hrs out of it, but my days usually run longer than this, up to about 16 hrs. It's stop/start throughout the day - picking up trash, taking breaks, etc...

Ideally I'd like to add a second set of batteries. I took it to a golf cart place, and he doesn't think I can do this, he says it will screw up the controller.

Talking to other people, they say I should be able to put another set in there, and connect them using an A/B switch like you see on boats. That seems to make sense to me - if one set is connected, then the other would be offline, I don't see how it would affect anything.

The other question is charging - someone is saying I couldn't select A+B and charge them at the same time. In which case, I'd need to add a second charging port for the 2nd set of batteries, and charge them with a separate charger. Obviously it'd be easier and cheaper to charge both sets at the same time with one charger, but if I have to have 2 separate chargers I could do that.

Anyone have any ideas - could this work or would I screw up the batteries or the controller or something else? Any input would be most appreciated.
SRRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-23-2015, 11:30 PM   #2
Gregorio
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Trying to find option to extend distance per day

The trouble with doubling your available AH is that your charge times will also double. You might not get the double pack recharged overnight with the stock charger. A faster charger is probably not compatible with the stock wiring. The AB switch and two chargers sounds workable.
Gregorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 11:45 PM   #3
SRRJ
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

What I'm thinking of doing is adding a second charge port for the second set of batteries. So I'd charge both sets at the same time with separate chargers.

I'm guessing I'd have to manually move the wires for the second set from the A/B switch to the charge port each time, and then back again when I start up in the morning. If so that would be a small price to pay for being able to run my cart without worrying about running out of juice.

It seems like this should work because there would be no connection between the 2 sets. The first set would be connected like it is now, the only change would be it would run through the A/B switch. The second set would effectively not be there, it would be the same as pulling out the batteries and charging them outside of the cart.
Old 04-23-2015, 11:48 PM   #4
SRRJ
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Sidebar: I should have gotten gas, but the cart is already built, and it is extremely useful for my work.
Old 04-23-2015, 11:57 PM   #5
Gregorio
Gone Wild
Club Car

If the chargers are wired to the independent packs, why would you need to move them? I am not familiar with the charging circuit on your cart but a modern smart charger would monitor the pack independently as long as the AB switch does not have a combination mode.
Gregorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 12:32 AM   #6
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Two things to consider. #1- the cart will also be hauling around the weight of 2 sets of batteries (decreasing range "per set of batts", and payload capacity). And #2- you would want to switch to the second set of batteries at roughly half of your work day to keep the draw even on both packs (the less you discharge each set per use, the longer they both will last). Other than this, you should be able to do it, should not cause any problems for the controller or chargerS (going to need 2, and proper wiring to support them, your typical 120v "2 outlet" box is not enough). You could also consider a large Lithium battery pack that has the capacity you need, a long life compared to lead batteries, a huge amount less weight on board, and zero battery filling or corrosion. But, A lithium conversion is expensive, and integrating proper protection for the cells is more complex than just adding a second set of batteries, a big switch, and a second charge port.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 05:34 AM   #7
SRRJ
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

A quick search shows lithium-ion batteries are about $600 each. I don't have the money for that.

The other option I was thinking about is solar. I'm getting a lot of mixed feedback on this, consesus seems to be that it's dicey at best. On the flip side, I'm in the Central Valley in California, almost all of my events are from May - Sep, so there's nothing but bright hot sun beating down on us all day.

If I could get a 30% extension in daily range, that would be real close to what I need. Found this online, don't know if would be viable IRL:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3IutFcM5xs
Old 04-24-2015, 07:34 AM   #8
HiTechRedNeck
Gone Wild

Solar will not provide any real power for your needs.
The amount of solar you can carry will only provide a few minutes of run time.

Easy solution? Bring your charger.
10 min of charge while you take breaks/unload ect. could easily extend run time.
1 hour at lunch on charge?

Best part of that is it is FREE!

Also might look at batts.
Many carts come with "minimum" batts. There are different capacities and configurations that might extend range.

More info on cart/batts would help.

cart make and year. batt make and model/rating?

With that info we can try and get JohnnieB to work his spreadsheet magic !!

P.S. Carrying 2 sets of batts would add enough weight to limit carts useful load limit and might cause issues if used on turf. That much weight would also put a load on motor
and controller (heat). Range/run time would not double with double batts.
HiTechRedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 08:20 AM   #9
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

A few years back EZGo came out with an onboard generator idea they called Exceed. I think it has gone away now but something to pursue.. Here is a discussion on it http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...nology-eh.html
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 08:28 AM   #10
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

How about a 48 volt conversion and run 8 6volts batteries

Sent with the newest version of Crap~A~Talk
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO