lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-26-2015, 07:39 AM   #1
yeabuddy
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default battery concern question

I just had new batteries installed but won't be back to the cart for about 6 or 7 weeks. It's plugged in to the charger which is automatic so once it's charged will switch to a float. Should I be concerned about the cells drying out while I'm gone for this long?
yeabuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-26-2015, 09:25 AM   #2
crash test dummy

Default Re: battery concern question

no it should be ok... but not longer than 8 weeks
Old 04-26-2015, 10:14 AM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

If the cart is in Wisconsin, you can probably float charge the batteries all winter without them getting low on water.

Water consumption due to evaporation is less in cooler and humid climates and if the float charge voltage stays below about 2.2V per cell, the cells won't gas very much, so water usage is minimal. However, some batteries use more water than others and new batteries and old batteries use more than middle aged batteries, so you have to get a handle on how much water your batteries use, but like CTD said, two months on a new set of batteries would probably be okay.

FWIW: I added water to my batteries last November and they have been connected to a DPI charger since then, except for the few times I used it to jump-start my car and dragging fallen branches to the burn pile. The electrolyte level was still close to where it is supposed to be when I checked a few days ago. Close enough that I didn't feel the need to add any.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 01:22 PM   #4
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Wisconsin? People actually live in Wisconsin? I didn't know that.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 04:07 AM   #5
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
If the cart is in Wisconsin, you can probably float charge the batteries all winter without them getting low on water.

Water consumption due to evaporation is less in cooler and humid climates and if the float charge voltage stays below about 2.2V per cell, the cells won't gas very much, so water usage is minimal. However, some batteries use more water than others and new batteries and old batteries use more than middle aged batteries, so you have to get a handle on how much water your batteries use, but like CTD said, two months on a new set of batteries would probably be okay.

FWIW: I added water to my batteries last November and they have been connected to a DPI charger since then, except for the few times I used it to jump-start my car and dragging fallen branches to the burn pile. The electrolyte level was still close to where it is supposed to be when I checked a few days ago. Close enough that I didn't feel the need to add any.
I live in north GA and saw the same thing. Floated all winter and barely needed any water this spring.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 06:25 AM   #6
yeabuddy
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Hmmm now I'm wondering ... now that they're charged,should I just have them unplugged until I get there in 2 weeks? I can have someone do that for me.
yeabuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 06:44 AM   #7
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeabuddy View Post
Hmmm now I'm wondering ... now that they're charged,should I just have them unplugged until I get there in 2 weeks? I can have someone do that for me.
No if you have a properly functioning charger there is no need to worry and unplug your cart.... It is far better to keep them on a float charge than to let them sit and self dissipate. I've had my cart plugged into either the stock charger or DPI float charger since I've bought it about 10 months and I've yet to need to add water to the new batteries yet.....
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 07:31 AM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeabuddy View Post
No, if your charger automatically goes into float charge after the regular charge cycle as it was described in your first post in this thread, it should be continuously plugged into your cart whenever the cart is not moving.

Of course, having the charger plugged into a cart whenever the cart is not moving isn't always possible or practical, so at least never let it sit overnight without the charger being connected.

Without float charging, the only time the batteries are "fully" charged is for a short period of time immediately following the regular charge cycle. Lead-Acid batteries self-discharge at about 1% per day (some self-discharge faster, others slower), so in two week the batteries would be at 86% SoC without the cart having been moved an inch.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO