lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-28-2015, 06:00 AM   #1
vonhammer
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Excessive Discharge

I had two batteries fail, due to loose connections, and I replaced them. I am getting an excessive discharge error on my dpi charger due to the voltage span being in excess of 0.2 volts, i.e., the new batteries are 8.4 and the other four are 8.15. Question is, how to I get the voltage up on the other four? Is it ok to use a 12 volt charger for a single battery?
vonhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-28-2015, 07:08 AM   #2
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Excessive Discharge

While not expressly "OK" it is what is done all the time. What you don't want to do is leave a single 6 or 8 volt battery connected to a 12 volt charger for any excessive length of time. What is excessive? That is the unknown factor... Just don't leave the charger unattended while you do the voltage boosting; keep a close watch for the battery to not get hot to the touch; warm yes but never hot... Usually no more than a hour is needed but that depends on charger size, battery size and level of discharge....
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 09:53 AM   #3
Gregorio
Gone Wild
Club Car

I would try to find someplace that has an 8V charger. I had a similar problem and every 12v charger I tried had problems bringing a single 8V battery up to full charge. The pack would run down easily and my 48v charger would not bring it back up to full charge even after resetting everything.

A local "old school" auto parts/machine shop had a charger that handled everything from 2-24V and charged my batteries individually. They were very nice and let me drop them off for a couple days in exchange for a case of beer.

Now the pack lasts all day and with very little voltage drop. It recharges perfectly now.
Gregorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 06:47 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonhammer View Post
I had two batteries fail, due to loose connections, and I replaced them. I am getting an excessive discharge error on my dpi charger due to the voltage span being in excess of 0.2 volts, i.e., the new batteries are 8.4 and the other four are 8.15. Question is, how to I get the voltage up on the other four? Is it ok to use a 12 volt charger for a single battery?
Where did you get that information?

The DPI charges the six 8V batteries in series and can only see what the total voltage of the six is, so it doesn't know if the batteries are within 0.2V of each other or not.

The voltages you gave for your batteries add up to 49.36V, which is 67% SoC, so the DPI charger ought to have turned on normally.

I'm pretty sure the problem is something other than an imbalanced battery pack.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 08:12 PM   #5
vonhammer
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

When I plug in the dpi charger, it goes through a diagnostic phase, yellow flashing diode and the charge is 2 amps. This is normal.

I came back after 30 minutes and the detection, abnormal shutdown, and power on diodes were flashing. According to the manual, this error sequence is what they call excessive discharge. The troubleshooting section says this is a result of a variance of 0.2V between batteries.
vonhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 09:27 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonhammer View Post
When I plug in the dpi charger, it goes through a diagnostic phase, yellow flashing diode and the charge is 2 amps. This is normal.

I came back after 30 minutes and the detection, abnormal shutdown, and power on diodes were flashing. According to the manual, this error sequence is what they call excessive discharge. The troubleshooting section says this is a result of a variance of 0.2V between batteries.
My DPI chargers (36V and 42V) put out ~5A in the pre-qualification phase. Only 2A might be an issue.

The mention of the 0.2V variance is in a "Warning" at the bottom of Pg-11 that is proceeded by a separate bullet point, so it is not directly associated with the paragraph above it which is also preceded by a bullet point and the potential consequence of an excessive variance in voltage between batteries is explained as the text of the Warning continues onto the next page. (Pages 10, 11 and 12 attached)

The Excessive Discharge error occurs when the pack voltage does not raise to 2.33VPC (56V for a 48V pack) within five hours. However, there may be some other criteria that will trigger that error.

Since your charger is going into the Excessive Discharge Error within half an hour or so, I'd give DPI a call and ask for troubleshooting assistance.

Before calling, I'd monitor the pack voltage to see what it has climbed to when the charger goes into the error condition.

----------
BTW: A low amp transformer type 12V charger (No more than about 6A 12V rating) can be used to charge an 8V battery, but you have to watch the on-charge voltage closely and not let it exceed about 11V.

You also have to be careful about overheating the charger.

For maximum safety, connect a 12 incandescent light bulb in series with the battery. That will limit the amps to whatever will pass through the bulb.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DPI Manual Page-10.JPG (108.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DPI Manual Page-11.JPG (116.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DPI Manual Page-12.JPG (103.1 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO