lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-18-2015, 07:33 AM   #11
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Something Got Wet

I'm speculating, but I think the reason the cart won't takeoff smoothly is because the controller is effectively seeing a partially opened throttle when the solenoid contacts close.

To prove that theory, I'd bypass the pedal microswitch with a jumper wire and select a safe direction for the cart to travel in with the F/R lever. At this point, turning the keyswitch to ON will energize the solenoid. If the cart starts moving without the pedal being pushed, the theory is correct.

If my theory is true, the problem could be inside the controller itself, or it could be a failure of the ITS sensor and/or the wiring that connects it to the controller.

Troubleshooting the problem:

Disconnect the throttle wires (black and white wires) from the controller and turn key ON with pedal switch bypassed.
If the cart moves, the problem is the controller.
If the cart doesn't move, the problem is the ITS sensor and/or wiring.

If troubleshooting points to the controller:
Disconnect the throttle wires and measure the voltage between the throttle pins on the controller while the green LED is illuminated.
I'm pretty sure this should be 10V or a bit over. I measured it on my DCX a while back, but I was measuring it with a 0-5K throttle type selected for forum member and didn't jot down what it was for ITS type.
If it isn't 10V, contact Alltrax for the proper voltage reading.

If troubleshooting points to the ITS sensor and wiring:
Disconnect the throttle wires from the controller and from the ITS sensor.
Measure between the wires with an Ohmmeter. Anything other than a 1,000,000Ω (1 Mega-Ohm) reading is bad and I would prefer something 10X higher.

If the wiring checks out okay, that leaves the ITS sensor.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-18-2015, 09:31 AM   #12
smuponies
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks, JohnnieB. I will try that. I think you may be right because the controller diagnostics show the throttle around 50% when the cart is parked.

How do I rig a wire to bypass the micro switch in the throttle box?
smuponies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 09:53 AM   #13
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Connect the red and green wires to each other in the pedal box. These 2 female spades should interlock if carefully pushed together.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 09:54 AM   #14
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuponies View Post
Thanks, JohnnieB. I will try that. I think you may be right because the controller diagnostics show the throttle around 50% when the cart is parked.

How do I rig a wire to bypass the micro switch in the throttle box?
Probably easiest to do it at the pedal switch in the box under the floorboard.
The push on connectors on the red and green wires are 0.250" females, so pick up a couple 0.250" male terminals and build a jumper wire to connect the two wires together.

The picture on right (Figure 7E) shows a male to male jumper wire being used to bypass the relay in a charger.

Or use something like this: http://www.delcity.net/store/Push!on...FYVFaQodvrsAJg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Relay jumper.JPG (67.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-18-2015, 09:59 AM   #15
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Bet ya 2 it
Put 50 of these connectors in a box and 2 will slide perfectly together making a secure connection.
Old 05-18-2015, 10:42 AM   #16
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Bet ya 2 it
Put 50 of these connectors in a box and 2 will slide perfectly together making a secure connection.
Uninsulated ones = yes
Insulated ones = no.

At least I've never had much luck making a connection between two wires with insulated 1/4" push-on terminals that stays together without holding them together by hand, but I have used paperclips and other stuff I found lying around.

I found a bag of assorted 1/4" push-on terminals and various adapters at a local hardware store a while back and the adapters come in handy for bypassing things as well as connecting two wires to a single terminal.
Old 05-18-2015, 03:30 PM   #17
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Additional simple test would be to disconnect wires at the ITS and see if cart will move when pedal depressed.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 03:54 PM   #18
smuponies
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

OK, I opened the throttle box and directly connected the red and green wires. When I put the key in and turned it on, the cart moved. Quite smoothly, I might add.

I wasn't sure from JohnnieB's email if I should have done this while the white and black wires were connected to the controller. I did it while they were connected, but if I need to try again while they aren't connected, let me know.

Then, I took of the black and white wires (throttle wires) going into the controller and measured the voltage. It was 14.8 or so. I also measured the voltage without the black and white wires while the throttle box was connected (no bypass) and it was around 13.8 best I could tell. I'm not a voltage meter expert, but it took a while to get it to 13.8, so I could have read it wrong.

So, what do you guys think? Sounds like it may be the controller? Is there anything I can do other than fork out mega bucks for a new one? Appreciate all the help!
Old 05-18-2015, 04:16 PM   #19
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

No - not the speed control yet.

Check the ITS plunger is coming fully out of the induction tube at full UP pedal.
Old 05-18-2015, 04:24 PM   #20
smuponies
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Yes, it is. Here is a photo with pedal UP. Red and Green wires are disconnected at the moment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ITS.jpg (134.4 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO