lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-20-2015, 08:29 PM   #1
Estexhunter
Not Yet Wild

Default Cart stops running sudden

I'm having trouble with my 36v ezgo cart. I can run it for a while id say 30 min or so and it will suddenly slow down and act like it's running out of power and come to a stop. I let it set for 30sec to a min and it will go again for a ways especially if I have it at full throttle doesn't go as far if at slow to half throttle. The bateries check out ok I think... I get 36-37v on bank and 6.2-6.3 on each one when it does this. Also the motor seems to be getting really hot when this happens. Along with the control box. Any help would be great... Thanks in advance.
Estexhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-20-2015, 10:23 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Cart stops running sudden

Forward & reverse switch on dash, or by right knee? Sounds like the all-too-common mode of failure for the PDS sepex controller (F&R on dash).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 05:52 AM   #3
Estexhunter
Not Yet Wild

Thank you for replying. Cgtech.
My forward/reverse is on the dash. Can a bad battery or bad connection be the problem aswell... I don't think I have either problem as I have checked them out best I know how... It seems to happen after I have driven it for a while then put it under some load either putting two people in cart or going up steep incline... It was yesterday that I thought to check to see if my motor was getting hot and it was along with the control box.... I have read places that say you can put my model in a troubleshooting mode and it will give me a series of beeps but I have yet figured out how to do that...
Old 05-21-2015, 08:14 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Diagnostic mode = toggle the rocker switch from neutral to reverse and back to neutral 5 times.

I could be a combination of things... like low voltage (weak) pack causing the motor to draw additional amperage and excess amperage causing the control to go into thermal cut back.

First thing I would do is attach a volt meter to the pack and after noting the standing pack voltage drive and watch the meter. Let us know what the lowest reading you get is going uphill (better with extra passengers.)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 10:32 AM   #5
Estexhunter
Not Yet Wild

Ok thanks I will try the voltage test like you described as soon as I can and get back with you...
Old 05-21-2015, 05:32 PM   #6
Estexhunter
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Diagnostic mode = toggle the rocker switch from neutral to reverse and back to neutral 5 times.

I could be a combination of things... like low voltage (weak) pack causing the motor to draw additional amperage and excess amperage causing the control to go into thermal cut back.

First thing I would do is attach a volt meter to the pack and after noting the standing pack voltage drive and watch the meter. Let us know what the lowest reading you get is going uphill (better with extra passengers.)
Ok so I was able to do the test as you described but with only me on the cart... And the hill I used was a fairly steep... Here are the readings

Fresh charge cycle 37.6v
At full throttle it drops as low as
32v and then levels out 34.5 full throttle. On flat ground
Going up hill half throttle 34v
Going up hill full throttle 32.8v continuos.
After charger is hooked up for aprox two min to cart the voltage goes up to 41.5 with charger still on running about 16amps
Old 05-22-2015, 04:27 PM   #7
Estexhunter
Not Yet Wild

Anybody have any ideas on what it could be with these readings. Looks like maybe bad battery packs
Old 05-22-2015, 05:19 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Yes maybe it does indicate weak batteries. Leave the charger on until it shuts off automatically around 45-46v and let the cart sit for 12 hours, give us the pack voltage and same tests again.
Old 05-22-2015, 05:35 PM   #9
Estexhunter
Not Yet Wild

Thank you again for helping.... This thing is driving me crazy...
Ok those readings was after the charger had gone through its cycle that day and unhooked it when I got home and did the test... So should I still do the test again...
Old 05-22-2015, 05:56 PM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

It is loosing 5v going uphill, that's enough to warrant further investigation. Perform he same test on each individual battery and see if you find one considerably weaker than the rest.... also start and end all tests with a readout posted here for battery # 1-6.
Lets compile some numbers to view.
also a pic of the cart, full side view. and a degree of incline for your test hill based upon the chart below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hill Grade Conversion Chart.JPG (71.3 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO