lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-18-2015, 04:22 PM   #1
timmyjane
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Rear wheel locked

I picked up a CraigsList cart today that the people just wanted gone. Its been sitting outside for who knows how long. I had to bring tires over to the location and install them just to be able to move the cart. Its in rough shape but it was only $250 with a charger. 97 EZGO TXT.

After I changed the wheels we went to push in on the trailer and the right rear wheel is locked down. All the other wheels spin freely.

Its raining today and my back is out so there wont be any investigation this week but I just wondering what might be the problem. I suppose the brake on just that wheel could have seized but since its also the driven wheel Im wondering if the motor is locked up. What do ya'll think?
timmyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-18-2015, 05:08 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Rear wheel locked

Curious if any of the resident techs know what this could be.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 10:06 PM   #3
Russ/TN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Just a guess but when it was parked, it likely had the brake set.
Time and moisture probably bonded the brake shoes to the drum.
Put it on a jack stand, remove wheel and strongly (don't bust the drum) tap with a hammer...see if that works.
Also, check the cable to that brake as it might have rusted to where it will not release the brake.
Russ/TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 10:17 AM   #4
Boostin350
Not Yet Wild

I would agree with the top post either a locked drum brake or a bad hub.
Boostin350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 11:58 AM   #5
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Technically, it couldn't be a locked motor. Right? If the motor is locked (and the diff isn't busted), for one wheel to roll forward the other would spin in reverse. So most likely they would both slide if the elec motor was locked.

Also, when you are whacking away with the hammer be careful not to smack the lugs and bugger up the threads. I've done that before too.

But the hammer is the best tool for the job.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 05:55 PM   #6
timmyjane
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Im getting towards a answer. I got the batteries out today and started removing the rear seat kit. Thats about all I got done before I had to quit. Looks like the wiring harness and the battery tray will need to be replaced.
Old 08-20-2015, 10:31 AM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsonj View Post
1. Technically, it couldn't be a locked motor. Right? If the motor is locked (and the diff isn't busted), for one wheel to roll forward the other would spin in reverse. So most likely they would both slide if the elec motor was locked.

2. Also, when you are whacking away with the hammer be careful not to smack the lugs and bugger up the threads. I've done that before too.

But the hammer is the best tool for the job.
1. When the armature in my stock PDS motor grew and became one with the field coils, seizing the motor, both tires left skid marks on pavement.

With the cart jacked up, neither wheel would turn in either direction until the motor was removed. Then the differential acted normally and one wheel turned in one direction when the other was turned in the opposite direction and I'm still running the same differential.

2. FWIW: When I beat on objects with a hammer close to threaded things, I screw a bolt on just far enough to protect the threads.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 10:49 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

??? when is the wheel and brake drum coming off
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 04:54 PM   #9
timmyjane
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
??? when is the wheel and brake drum coming off
I was hoping that I would do it today but I had a late job interview and my back is just hurting. Its really my legs that hurt more than my back but anyway. I took tomorrow off to go to some kind of witch doctor and hopefully he can make me feel better. If not I am seeing an MD on Monday. Surely I can get it taken off tomorrow after the voodoo doc. I need to get it to move because right now it is sitting in the front side driveway and I am sure my wife will have something to say about it any day now.
Old 08-21-2015, 07:01 AM   #10
Fastest1
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Sciatica. That is the pain running down your legs. Been dealing with it for years. Good luck at the doctor. I do know he has a mortgage. If you have good insurance, ask for a product containing Diclofenac (Pennsaid) it works pretty well. It is a topical cream. Narcotics though more fun don't relieve the pain as well and create a problem with caring and achievement while you are on them
If you are around horses, ask someone for some "Surpass". Same chemical but for horses and much cheaper. Still FDA approved just not for humans. Do you trust the FDA?
Fastest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO