lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-29-2015, 12:42 PM   #1
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Default Lifespan of brake cables???

Ok, here's the "deal". My EZ-GO TXT is used 99% for hunting and I attempt to keep on top of maintenance as much as possible. I'm disabled so my cart is my legs. (Or is that....My cart are my legs?) Well.....Ive noticed recently that my stopping power has decreased. I have Jakes disc on the front (hydraulic) and factory cable\drum on the rear.

Now, I've had the cart for 7....maybe 8 years. I've not replaced the cables yet...I've not had to. The rear brakes checked out (by my B-I-L) last year and in good shape. Front pads in good shape.

But, a few days ago I was going up a steep hill grass (mowed lawn) and stopped. The two front wheels locked (as they should have) but the cart began to "crawl" backwards and the rear wheels did not "lock" like they have in the past. Now, I usually do the "go fast backwards and slam on the brakes" to let the self-adjusters do their thing.....but obviously that's not working out well.

Would you say it's likely time to replace my cables?
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-29-2015, 01:13 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Lifespan of brake cables???

There is more to it than just slamming on the brakes and letting the self-adjusters do their thing.

When my rear brakes won't slide the tires on dry pavement, I drive the cart forward at a moderately fast speed (15-20MPH), slam on the brakes until the cart come almost to a stop (1-2 MPH) and then release the pedal.

If they still don't lock-up, I repeat procedure until they do.

Here are a couple things out of the service manual on the subject.

If your cart is lifted, the cables might not be long enough to full release the brakes, so they won't self-adjust.

-------
As for how often brake cables need to be replaced. As long as the cable slides in and out of the cable sheath freely, it is usable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mechanical Brake Adjusting.jpg (148.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Brake Cables must release.jpg (46.5 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 01:16 PM   #3
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

well it may be time to replace the brake shoes. I mean after 7 or 8 years.....it may be time. as for the cables, as long as they are not rotted or the cable itself isn't full of rust/corrosion, that's not likely.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 01:20 PM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

I have found that occasional "clean & adjust" does wonders for the drums. I think the limit of pedal travel imposed by the "disc brake master cyl" may be prevent the rear auto adjusters from doing their thing. The question "how long do cables last" is one of those "it varies" answers. I have had to replace lots of streched/stiff cables on txt's.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 07:01 PM   #5
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Ok, thanks guys. Up to now my stopping power has been great. But recently....within the last month, I've noticed a decrease in stopping power. Just the other day I happen to do the stop on the uphill and that's when I noticed the front wheels were locked while the cart was going backwards (slowly on a steep hill....but it should have been at a stop) that the rear wheels were not locked.

I'll give it a peek early this week to see what's going on. Thanks for the tips!!!
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO