lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-27-2017, 01:56 PM   #1
criracer
Not Yet Wild

Default 99 Club Car is OBC bad?

I have 1999 Club Car electric regen 2 (I think according to the guide). Has a run tow switch and a rocker f/r.

So the cart wouldn't move. I thought it was the solenoid and when I hooked up the new one the cart moved forward. So I thought we were good. Went back to tighten everything up and made a small arc on the solenoid(forgot to put back to tow). So after tightening everything up cart won't move.

I read around on here, great info by the way, and the rest of the internet and decided to try running a jumper wire from the negative battery terminal to the small post on the solenoid with blue/white wire. Turned on the cart and it ran like a champ drove it around no problems. Plugged in the charger and it works, but I don't know if it will turn off.

My question is, does this mean the OBC is bad? Could it have been from the small arc? Or is the controller bad? Also if I leave the jumper on will the charger function properly? The charger is a powerdrive.

Thanks for any help. Glad to be here like I said a lot of good information. I searched around and didn't quite see the answer I needed. If I missed it I apologize.

Thanks
criracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-27-2017, 02:56 PM   #2
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Default Re: 99 Club Car is OBC bad?

Your bypassing the OBC and the cart drives. Means OBC is no Bueno and if it runs, means the controller is good.
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 03:12 PM   #3
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

And no, the Powerdrive will not automatically turn off due to the OBC is bypassed (and has failed). You will have to monitor it with a digital volt meter if one is not installed. Once your pack voltage gets to ~60 volts, then turn the charger off.

You will need to replace the OBC OR purchase a DPI accusense charger which is designed to work without an OBC and it will also "maintain" your batteries once the charge is competed. Our site sponsors Carts Unlimited and Revolution Golf Cars carry them with the best deal for you.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 04:16 PM   #4
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

What You did has nothing to do with the OBC, You by-passed the controller solenoid activation.

You probably damaged the Controller transistor that provides the negative connection to the Solenoid.

The OBC powers the entire logic system in the Regen 2 system, only in Series carts the OBC provides the negative to the Solenoid.

Your Solenoid will be always ON as long as the OBC is powering the positive side of the solenoid (blue wire), and it will not be controlled by the key switch or pedal micro-switch.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 05:33 PM   #5
criracer
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
What You did has nothing to do with the OBC, You by-passed the controller solenoid activation.

You probably damaged the Controller transistor that provides the negative connection to the Solenoid.

The OBC powers the entire logic system in the Regen 2 system, only in Series carts the OBC provides the negative to the Solenoid.

Your Solenoid will be always ON as long as the OBC is powering the positive side of the solenoid (blue wire), and it will not be controlled by the key switch or pedal micro-switch.
Thanks for all the responses. I appreciate the help.

If the above is true. Can I leave the jumper in place? And will my charger work properly?
Old 07-27-2017, 06:44 PM   #6
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

If the Controller can no longer activate the Solenoid, You will need to leave that jumper in place.

The problem is that as soon as You unplug that charger, the Solenoid will come ON.

It will remain ON for about 3 days until either the OBC puts the system to sleep or You plug the charger back.

Not only it will discharge the battery, but it may damage the solenoid in the long term.

If You want to keep the Controller, the best alternative will be to disconnect the Blue wire from the other solenoid small post an tape it as it will not be used.

You will need to run a wire (16 ga) from the cold side of the key switch (blue wire side) to that solenoid small post.

That will make the Solenoid come ON/OFF with the key switch.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 07:19 AM   #7
criracer
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for all the help. I ran a wire from the key switch to the solenoid and everything seems to be working ok.
Old 08-04-2017, 08:57 PM   #8
criracer
Not Yet Wild

Ok I'm back. I am having trouble with the batteries keeping a charge.

Wednesday I used the cart and when I was finished after about an hour and a half the batteries were at about 47.5v. Which I thought was kinda low.

Tonight when I took the cart off the charger the batteries read 48.6v. So it didn't seem like they charged all the way. After about 45 minutes cart quit. I checked voltage and it was at 46.4v. 4 of the batteries were at about 8v, one was at 6.1v and another around 7v. Batteries are all full of water.

My question is would what I did to wire up the solenoid possibly affecting the batteries? Or do they just need replaced. They are about 6 years old?

Thanks again
Old 08-04-2017, 11:13 PM   #9
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Doesn't sound like you did anything wrong and those were Sergio's directions and he's our best on the electrical systems.

You said you took them off the charger. Does this mean you unplugged it before it was done automatically? The reason I ask is the charger will not cut off until at least 58.3 volts and at the end of the cycle can be as high as 61-63 volts. The numbers you quoted are low and if you did stop it you need to let it go until it cuts off.

If it did cut off on its own, then reset the OBC. Pull the negative cable off and leave it off for 20-30 minutes. Re-land the cable and hook your charger back up and do not do anything with it until it automatically shuts down from full charge or 16 hour time limit. (Be sure that the cables are all clean and securely tight)

And when you do plug it back in, make sure you get the 3 -10 second time delay before the charger kicks on. If it does not and comes on immediately upon plugging it in, there is a problem with the OBC.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 06:25 AM   #10
criracer
Not Yet Wild

Thanks. I'll try that and see what happens.

When I unplugged the charger It had kicked off. I'm not exactly sure how long it charged. When I plugged it in the charger kicked on and then it was plugged in for about 48 hours before I used it next.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car