lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-22-2017, 10:05 AM   #11
scrannel
Gone Wild

Default Re: Wiring Noodle

Latest: Owner claims he was testing by bypassing OBC and hit the wrong low amp terminal on solenoid and got a spark. As he was replacing solenoid and controller anyway, he went ahead and did that (they looked wired correctly). So, new solenoid and controller since mishap. I bypassed OBC today (w/o shorting) and no luck. Now I'm wondering if the short may have zapped the potentiometer?

So, as I show no power at the on/off switch, no power getting to f/r; does this mean solenoid is activated by the on/off switch which, itself, is activated by the potentiometer?

If so, can I take the potentiometer apart and check out the microswitch (if there is one in there).

Also, with fluke attacked to positive last out (battery) and the negative-out post on the controller I get: 1) With F/R switch in neutral = 48v. With F/R switch in Forward or Reverse = no voltage (to be expected?), however does NOT increase with pedal depressed as, I believe, it should (to make the cart go).

Thanks
scrannel is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-22-2017, 11:26 AM   #12
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

I think you're on the right track. You can check the limit switch in the potentiometer with a multimeter. Let us know what you find.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 12:46 PM   #13
scrannel
Gone Wild

OK, checked the limit switch on the F/R. I am getting continuity in neutral (not supposed to) and in Reverse (OK). But not in forward (I should be getting continuity). So, now I'm stuck. Where do I go from here? Thanks
Old 08-22-2017, 07:24 PM   #14
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

There should be three limit switches on the F&R switch. Which one are you checking? I was referring to the limit switch in the speed switch, but it's good to check these as well..... Only if it's a 36 volt cart will it have only one switch on the back of the F&R, but you said you had an OBC, so it has to be a 48 volt cart.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:07 PM   #15
scrannel
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
There should be three limit switches on the F&R switch. Which one are you checking? I was referring to the limit switch in the speed switch, but it's good to check these as well..... Only if it's a 36 volt cart will it have only one switch on the back of the F&R, but you said you had an OBC, so it has to be a 48 volt cart.
Yes 48v. I checked the switch furthest to the front, with the black/white wire.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:08 PM   #16
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

You should have continuity between the two posts when the switch is closed (plunger depressed). This should happen in forward and reverse.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:40 PM   #17
scrannel
Gone Wild

Quote:
You should have continuity between the two posts when the switch is closed (plunger depressed). This should happen in forward and reverse.
I am getting continuity in neutral and in Reverse. But not in forward. Does that mean the microswitch is toast?
Old 08-22-2017, 10:32 PM   #18
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

That makes no sense at all. This sounds more like a mechanical issue than an electronic issue. Are you testing the microswitch that is closest to the mechanical switch? Post a picture if you can and let me see what you're testing. The switch doesn't know whether the car is in forward or reverse. It has a cam on the back of the switch that lifts the plunger up in forward and reverse, but not neutral. The only way I can make sense out of this is if you're testing the rear-most microswitch. It operates as you describe. If you've got the white/black wire on the rearmost switch, you've got a wiring issue. A picture will help with that as well. If you can't post it here, text it to me. I'm going to bed. 706-836-7210.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:55 AM   #19
scrannel
Gone Wild

Quote:
That makes no sense at all. This sounds more like a mechanical issue than an electronic issue. Are you testing the microswitch that is closest to the mechanical switch? Post a picture if you can and let me see what you're testing. The switch doesn't know whether the car is in forward or reverse. It has a cam on the back of the switch that lifts the plunger up in forward and reverse, but not neutral. The only way I can make sense out of this is if you're testing the rear-most microswitch. It operates as you describe. If you've got the white/black wire on the rearmost switch, you've got a wiring issue. A picture will help with that as well. If you can't post it here, text it to me. I'm going to bed. 706-836-7210.
White/black wire is on the switch that is the most forward, toward the front. I realize what you're saying which is why I'm wondering of the forward microswitch is bad. Also, the first time I checked it I was getting no continuity in any of the three positions. In other words, if the switch is messed up it may sometimes give a continuity reading and vise versa when it should not.

Also, I'm unclear why I am getting no power at the on/off switch. Thanks
Old 08-27-2017, 09:46 AM   #20
scrannel
Gone Wild

Where we left off, TahoeDawg suggested (by text) that I remove the two wires from the front switch, use a blade fuse to jump them together (in forward) and see if the cart runs. It does not. I'm confused as to where the power is being interrupted.

Thanks
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car