lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-28-2017, 05:36 PM   #1
Godfather1960
Gone Wild

Default Charging new batteries

Hi all just bought new Trojan batteries and noticed the charger stops at 5 amps ...is this normal im new to this..Thanks

2012 Club Car President 48volt
Godfather1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-28-2017, 06:45 PM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: Charging new batteries

Meaning it quit? Or it is still charging at 5 amps?

Give your self a lot of time with new batteries. You will need to be sure you run them down to ~50% and then recharge 10 - 12 times before you break them in and they start charging and operating as they should. Including up to 16 hours of charging on a new set....
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 08:26 PM   #3
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post

Give your self a lot of time with new batteries. You will need to be sure you run them down to ~50% and then recharge 10 - 12 times before you break them in and they start charging and operating as they should. Including up to 16 hours of charging on a new set....
I thought you didn't want to run new batteries below 80 percent, and broken in batteries below 50 percent.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 10:05 PM   #4
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Nah, the first ~10-12 cycles, try to go to ~50% or thereabouts to season in the batteries. This helps saturate and build up the charge capabilities within the plates. Click on the attached and select Open With...

Battery Guide.pdf
Old 08-29-2017, 05:19 AM   #5
Godfather1960
Gone Wild

Quote:

Thanks .. it will shut off at 5 amps ... how do i tell if i get it down to 50% do i need a ohm meter
Old 08-29-2017, 05:20 AM   #6
Godfather1960
Gone Wild

Quote:
Nah, the first ~10-12 cycles, try to go to ~50% or thereabouts to season in the batteries. This helps saturate and build up the charge capabilities within the plates. Click on the attached and select Open With...

Attachment 158565

Thanks that pdf is great
Old 08-29-2017, 06:34 AM   #7
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Don't worry too much about the 50%, the most important part is to plug the charger once you are done riding for the day.

Do not wait to charge the cart until you can discharge the pack to any particular level.

New batteries are more susceptible to sulfation and if over discharged during the first 10-15 cycles, they could be affected by hydration (a terminal condition).
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 07:04 AM   #8
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather1960 View Post
Thanks .. it will shut off at 5 amps ... how do i tell if i get it down to 50% do i need a ohm meter
If you do not have a volt meter in your dash, you can hook a digital volt meter (multi-meter) to the pack main positive and main negative and lay the meter on the seat. Make sure you give them a good draw down. If you just run them a little and then plug them back in, you are not pulling them down far enough to achieve your goal. You will literally feel the cart get stronger after each charge as they break in.

And yes, this is done each time at the end of the ride (and every ride thereafter) you want to plug them back in to fully charge. Always keep the cart plugged in just as in the .pdf I attached earlier.
Old 08-29-2017, 12:35 PM   #9
Godfather1960
Gone Wild

Many thanks to all of you for helping me ont on this ..thanks
Old 09-06-2017, 06:54 PM   #10
Smikin Cigarettes
Not Yet Wild

Great info. I have 8-6volt batteries in my cart. The batteries are brand new trojan t145's (I bought them last friday). The cart has a built in quick charge corp. charger. The charger is reading 26% charged right now but the batteries are at 6.33v each. They have been charging for 6hrs. I guess they may require the 16hr charge.
Smikin Cigarettes is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car