lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-20-2012, 01:18 PM   #1
chloe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default And so it begins: (the buy/build)

Thought I would start my own build thread and stop trying to hi-jack everyone elses.
This build actually starts tomorrow. I will pick up the cart tomorrow afternoon and bring it home. This is what I know about it. It's a 98 TXT with no batteries. The electronics, from the short glance I took, looks to have been neglected. I am told it did run when it had good batteries. I have no idea when that might have been. The cart has a top, which I don't need, and an extra body, which I will keep. The battery tray looks solid with just the typical flaking of the rubberized paint. The frame looks sold with minor surface rust. I did not see any suspension issues but I haven't driven it so it's only a minor visual inspection. There is a back "flip/fold" seat, which I don't need and the tires look serviceable, for now anyway.
My plan is to get some good quality batteries and see what I have. Once I determine the cart is serviceable, I will then start on the mods. I'm thinking of painting the extra body but I may do the rear section in a solid color, (black) and do both cowls in a flame design that incorporates a lot of black as a base. That way I can go back and forth on the cowls. Maybe red and purple, as an example. From reading in here, I think an Alltrax DCX with an HD Forward and Reverse and upgraded wires should take care of any power issues. Wheels and tires are very open so I'm not even going to try to make a decision as yet. I have decided that if I do lift it, it will only be three inches.
That's it, comments, suggestions, curses and maybe even a bit of mild laughter would be appreciated.

Denny
chloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-20-2012, 02:51 PM   #2
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Default Re: And so it begins: (the buy/build)

Where are you located Chloe?
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 03:04 PM   #3
wrongway
Gone Crazy

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloe View Post
Thought I would start my own build thread and stop trying to hi-jack everyone elses.
This build actually starts tomorrow. I will pick up the cart tomorrow afternoon and bring it home. This is what I know about it. It's a 98 TXT with no batteries. The electronics, from the short glance I took, looks to have been neglected. I am told it did run when it had good batteries. I have no idea when that might have been. The cart has a top, which I don't need, and an extra body, which I will keep. The battery tray looks solid with just the typical flaking of the rubberized paint. The frame looks sold with minor surface rust. I did not see any suspension issues but I haven't driven it so it's only a minor visual inspection. There is a back "flip/fold" seat, which I don't need and the tires look serviceable, for now anyway.
My plan is to get some good quality batteries and see what I have. Once I determine the cart is serviceable, I will then start on the mods. I'm thinking of painting the extra body but I may do the rear section in a solid color, (black) and do both cowls in a flame design that incorporates a lot of black as a base. That way I can go back and forth on the cowls. Maybe red and purple, as an example. From reading in here, I think an Alltrax DCX with an HD Forward and Reverse and upgraded wires should take care of any power issues. Wheels and tires are very open so I'm not even going to try to make a decision as yet. I have decided that if I do lift it, it will only be three inches.
That's it, comments, suggestions, curses and maybe even a bit of mild laughter would be appreciated.

Denny
Looking forward to watching your build...and before Colton can beat me to it...Remember
wrongway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:26 PM   #4
chloe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

And why did I know that ^ was coming! :) Picking it up in the morning. Pics posted in the evening.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:32 PM   #5
TerryH
Let's go racin' boyz!!

E-Z-GO

Is it a series or a PDS? Looking forward to seeing your build!
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:55 PM   #6
chloe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Terry, this is the sort of thing I was asking about in another thread. What's the difference between at series and a PDS. I know PDS stand for P (something) Drive System but have no idea where the term series comes from.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:11 PM   #7
TerryH
Let's go racin' boyz!!

E-Z-GO

P is for precision. Is the F/R a switch on the dash or a lever by your knee? PDS is on the dash.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 03:56 AM   #8
Gonkulor
Astronautilator

E-Z-GO

Quote:

Denny
Denny to BGW.

I'm looking forwards to watching your build. I bought my cart without batteries as well and that was the first item I purchased, but alas now I have 6 3-4 month old batteries I want to sell because I will be going 72 volt. I'm not saying buy mine, I'm suggesting you think about 36v, 48v, and 72v before buying your batteries and not do what I did.

Shon
Gonkulor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:23 AM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
............ What's the difference between at series and a PDS. I know PDS stand for P (something) Drive System but have no idea where the term series comes from.
"Series" carts have a series wound motor, which is to say the Armature (moving winding) and the Stator (stationary winding) are connected in series and the same current passes through both.

PDS carts and the earlier DCS carts have a Sepex (Separately Excited) motor (aka Shunt or Parallel wound) and the different currents flow through the Armature (moving winding) and the Field (stationary winding).

If your cart is a 1998, it isn't a PDS (Precision Drive System), but it might be a DCS (Drive Control System).

Plug your serial number into this site and it will tell you the Year, body style and drive type.
http://www.shopezgo.com/customer-ser...ialNumber.html

If the tag in the passanger side glove box is missing, you can identify the type drive system you have from the attached chart.

BTW - Welcome to BGW and good luck with your project.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ezgoguide.jpg (78.0 KB, 52 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:45 AM   #10
chloe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks JohnnieB. That's the sort of info I need. I have looked at that chart but not having the cart until today, I haven't had an opportunity to compare the pics to what's there. I'll get it. Eventually
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO