lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-11-2008, 09:29 AM   #1
Midamrail
Not Yet Wild

Default 2004 Precedent?

Greetings,

We're about to become golf cart newbies thanks to buying a site in a campground where golf carts almost outnumber motorhomes. We've found a 2004 48V Precedent locally that seems to be a good deal; it had new batteries in 2007 and seems to be in good shape mechanically and cosmetically.

However, the seller - who customizes and sells golf carts as a hobby - indicated the 2004 Precedents were notoriously troublesome, and he has therefore gone through and replaced several items with new factory parts, including the controller, to ensure the reliability of the cart.

Should we be worried about a 2004 Precedent?

Thank you all in advance for your help,
Molly
Midamrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-11-2008, 10:44 AM   #2
alagoat
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2004 Precedent?

Buyer beware..Every 2004 precident I have come in contact with is nothing but trouble and problems. Even the dealers dont want to be bothered with them and done expect any help from club car either..Get an EZGO pds you will be much better off..
alagoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 12:06 PM   #3
rusty
Golf Cart Photographer

Club Car

Welcome to the forum Midamrail.............

There are several different body styles carts of carts available.

A Club Car DS model is hard to beat as well as a E-Z-GO.

Stick with the late model though and ask any questions here.
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 12:22 PM   #4
Midamrail
Not Yet Wild

Thank you both very much for your feedback. The Precedent body style and supposed improvements over the DS seemed appealing to us, and $1850 for an updated 2004 Precedent with a flip windshield and 2007 batteries seemed like a good deal. We're looking for a good electric cart we can put a mild lift, heavier rear springs, and rear flip seat on, and Club Cars always seemed to be the best carts on the best golf courses way back when I played more golf.

But we've heard not-so-good things about Precedents and the 2004s in particular, so perhaps the $1850 isn't such a good deal after all. But I'm so enamored with the modern look of the Precedent...

Should we look at a DS or EZ-Go instead? What about Yamaha? This is for weekend use - less than an hour a day a few days a month - at a hilly campground on paved roads with the exception of an occasional trip to the boat dock.

Thanks again,
Molly
Midamrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 12:50 PM   #5
phasetim
Just me. .

Club Car

an updated 2004 precedent may be no different than say a 2007 precedent...

The main problems with all precedents.. the spring bushings and delta arm bushing wear faster, and the 4 12v batteries dont run as long as the 6 8s or even the 6 6s... The rear leaf spring is almost flat, stock out of factory (that just seems dumb to me).

In 2004 they had the first year jitters big time... The problems I know most about are batteries being faulty, charging computers not turning off, the chargers are not high enough amperage to really charge the batteries well, the pedal clusters were having some issues, and I think some of the bodies had paint issues as well.

Electrically speaking, there is little difference from the Club Car DS I.Q.. The controller and motor are the same, and even interchangeable. Under $2000 for a 2004 Precedent seems like a pretty good price too.
phasetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:43 AM   #6
wilmash
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

i have owned a 2004 since they started this model. i play golf on a hilly course. never had a profdblem and i still have the origional batteries. do believe i may get another year out of them.
wilmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 10:46 PM   #7
LostHusker
Just one day at a time

E-Z-GO

I believe the main issue here is maintenance, if you perform that on a regular basis you should be ok. There are several members here with a precedent and they are very happy. Good Luck
LostHusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 07:28 AM   #8
70scout800
Not Yet Wild

I've had my 04 precedent since 07. it has 07 batteries. I use it probaly 4 hours a week, but check the batteries regulary. never had a problem. it did have a jakes spindle lift which had a lot of bump steer, but i put on a a-arm lift and love it. so really the only complaint i have is it's a little smaller than a DS or ezgo
70scout800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 09:37 AM   #9
sb2bb
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I have an 05 and love it. Haul it all over the country as we full time in our RV. Make sure you check the OBC (On Board Computer) for the right version. I think that was the big issue with them to begin with.

The 3.0 is the newest computer for your battery configuration. Take off the controller cover and look at the tag on the computer... It'll either say V2.05, V2.06, or V3.0. The 2.05 computers were replaced with 2.06 computers when the problem was diagnosed. The 3.0 computers later came out but Club Car did not feel that there was enough difference in the 2.06 and the 3.0 to change them all again. The 2.06 will work fine, but the 2.05 can definitely be a problem.
sb2bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 03:09 PM   #10
benjamin24
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I too love the look of the precedent, so I sold my 07 ezgo and purchased an 06. To me, it rides better, goes faster, and has more torque on hills than the ezgo.

p.s. for what its worth, my black 06 precedent cost $2200 That included windshield, stock cooler, stock sand box, 2 sand bottles, factory club cover on back, and stage 4 speed upgrade.
benjamin24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car