lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Columbia ParCar

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-10-2015, 08:13 PM   #11
backyard
Gone Wild
Columbia

Default Re: Charging issue, but deeper issue?

Ah ha. I found them.
Diodes.JPG
backyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-10-2015, 08:49 PM   #12
bill0554
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

Thanks for all the input. Yes I have downloaded the wiring diagram, and no my tester doesn't have a diode testing capability, the old style. Changed the wiring around and no difference. I took off the sheathing to get to all the wires and that's when I found the diodes. It's a little early here, 945am wed, but I opened a cold one to clear the mind. Since I did the testing on the starter/generator and did get 18+volts going to the battery I figure it has to be something wrong with the voltage regulator green wire, now that I know all the other wiring is good and checks out. Will keep you posted. Thanks
bill0554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 01:32 AM   #13
bill0554
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

Ok found the voltage regulator in Manila, double what it costs in the states, but should be here tomorrow, Friday. Hopefully be on the course this weekend!!! Will let you know if that was in fact the problamo.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:19 AM   #14
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Yeah, that wiring is the same as my cart. Assuming your current regulator is the original type the green and black wires on the voltage regulator can be switched to see if that makes a difference. Not the black and black ones on the starter as that will have no affect. Seems silly but just this summer one of my carts wasn't charging as I will only getting 12.5v back to the battery. I flipped these two wires and, presto, 14 v.

Note that the service manual lists a "recommended" configuration. There are a few different ways those can be wired and get the desired effect. As the regulators don't add current anywhere and are separate from the ignition circuit nothing can get screwed up (save for a battery not charging right of course).

Also, I know you already ordered one but 80s era Club Car or EZ Go voltage regulators work on 80s era Columbias. They are usually less expensive as more people own those carts and more companies make parts for them. The only difference is the color of the wires so it may take a couple of attempts to get your voltage right. Again, this trial and error can't screw anything up.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 05:36 PM   #15
bill0554
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

Yes as a matter of fact the company I ordered from is using the EZ-go catalog. but it's still twice the cost as in the states. Shipping, duty,taxes, etc etc etc!! It only takes a couple min's to put it back on and will try it now just to see if it works. Still have the new one coming in today. Nope, tried it and it didn't work.
Old 11-13-2015, 04:35 AM   #16
bill0554
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

So I got the new voltage regulator today and put it on and presto, getting 14-15 volts back to the battery. I don't have a digital reader so it's a guess on the old type of tester, but defiantly above 14 volts. Thanks for all the input and I'm sure I will be asking for more advice in the near future. Like the points and condenser are they on the same wire leading from the coil - output? The wiring diagram isn't too clear on the wiring of the condenser, points. They look like they are on the same wire. Thanks again
Old 11-13-2015, 06:07 PM   #17
backyard
Gone Wild
Columbia

Good deal.

You said in post #5 the cart was converted back to points. Who converted it? Are you positive it has points and condensor?

The reason I ask is another person wanted to convert theirs but looks like there isn't a way to do so.

You may actually have an older engine in your cart or your 1990 cart may still have the solid state ignition module installed.

The microswitch feeds power to the + terminal on the coil. If you have a solid state ignition the + terminal on the coil feeds power to the ignition module so this will make two wires on the + coil terminal if you have the solid state ignition. If you have points/condensor there will only be one wire on the + coil terminal.

The - coil terminal goes to either the points/condensor or the solid state ignition module. Just depends on which one you have.
Old 11-13-2015, 08:54 PM   #18
bill0554
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

I definitely have the points and condenser, not sure when it was converted but it's got 90 on the motor. I thought that I had read that parcar went to the electronic ignition in 85-86? Well anyway I had what I would call a slight flutter while running so this morning I went back and checked all the wire's going to the coil, points and condenser. I'm running with a auto coil with an external resister and one of the posts was loose under the ceramic block tightened that up and she runs like a top now. Just the smallest things sometimes!
Old 11-13-2015, 10:58 PM   #19
backyard
Gone Wild
Columbia

If you open up the points cover sometime, I would like to see a pic of what was done.
Old 11-18-2015, 12:46 AM   #20
bill0554
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

Here you go backyard, this is a pic of the points, there isn't anywhere to put the condenser inside, so it's mounted on the outside of the oil pump cover. Plus a pic of the beautiful wife and cart!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20151118_083436 (640x480).jpg (168.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20151117_004 (640x360).jpg (189.1 KB, 0 views)

Tags
key switch, starter motor
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Columbia ParCar