lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-05-2016, 01:28 AM   #1
jonr3
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Default My 1976 D Rebuild

Since I just had shoulder surgery a couple of days ago and won't be able to work on it for quite some time, I thought I would try to stay active by starting a rebuild thread if anyone is interested...

I picked it up for next to nothing - it was in rough shape and wouldn't run. I thought it would make a fun project that we could use to ride around out yard and take to the beach on vacation.

I stripped the engine down and replaced all of the seals and had the cylinder bored ,030 over. I purchased a new genuine Tillotson carb and replaced the fuel lines. Everything was bead blasted and then powder coated Harley orange or black. All new fasteners and gaskets were installed. I dismantled and cleaned the starter/generator and added a fresh coat of paint. It fired right up and currently tops out at 22 mph on a flat surface.

I swapped out the ignition switch for a Harley-tyoe barrel key switch and added a Harley voltmeter to monitor battery charge. After looking at the 40-year old wiring that had been spliced numerous times, I replaced everything with 12 gauge wire, soldered fittings, and heat shrink tubing. I still need to replace the heavy wire that comes from the forward/reverse switch.

I have also purchased the electronic ignition kit and a 12-inch LED light bar for the front but will have to wait until I heal to be able to install them.

Hopefully, this winter, my shoulder will be healed enough to do a frame-off restoration including: powder coat frame and all hardware, a 2-inch suspension lift including coil spring isolators, four high-back bucket seats, a full top, fold-down windshield, taillights, stereo, built-in cooler/storage, and a new paint job.

I thought about buying an old quad racer and converting it to 4 wheels, but I have really begun to like the 3-wheel look for it uniqueness. I will probably go a couple of inches taller and wider on the tires with some additional offset to maintain stability.

Anyway, here are some pics of it so far and a drawing of what I am imagining for the future. I would love to hear any comments or suggestions....

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd27/jonr3/2.jpg
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd27/jonr3/1.jpg
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...lfcart%203.jpg
jonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-05-2016, 10:52 AM   #2
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Default Re: My 1976 D Rebuild

I have a three wheel HD and a 4 wheel HD. I like the 3 wheel better. The only thing I have done is to change the 3 wheel to a steering wheel instead of the tiller. The front rail can be modified for better stability but it is really good as is.
tew45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 06:10 PM   #3
jonr3
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Quote:
Originally Posted by tew45 View Post
The front rail can be modified for better stability but it is really good as is.
In what way? I would like to make it as stable as possible. Thanks!
Old 06-05-2016, 06:51 PM   #4
smkummer
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Looking good and 22 top end? wow, that is smoking. I see your left floor mat is worn to the metal, I have repaired mine like that with a truck mud flap left on the side of the road. I just cut a piece bigger than the worn hole and used rubber cement to hold it under the original floor mat. I always thought a voltmeter would be a nice addition. My 72 was the first year for the carry all between the seats. I also added the carry alls up front both right and left that were standard for 1971 and earlier, you cant have enough storage space!
smkummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 07:15 AM   #5
jonr3
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Quote:
Originally Posted by smkummer View Post
I see your left floor mat is worn to the metal, I have repaired mine like that with a truck mud flap left on the side of the road. I just cut a piece bigger than the worn hole and used rubber cement to hold it under the original floor mat.
Yeah, the floor mats are in bad shape. After I remove the rust, I'm either going to add diamond plate or coat it with a thick layer of Durabak bed liner. I really like the Durabak as I can get it in any color, it's chemical resistant, and will provide a sound-deadening effect. I've used it before on my old race jeep and it's pretty much bullet proof. The gas pedal is about shot due to the years of golf shoe spikes so I think I'm going to make one of those pedals that looks like a bare foot - kind of a whimsical beach theme. And of course add a bobble head hula girl on top of the score card holder!
Old 06-06-2016, 07:21 AM   #6
jonr3
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

The funny thing about this project is that even though it's in rough shape and looks awful, my 14-year old son thinks it is so cool. About every time I let him drive us around, he smiles and asks, "Why is this thing so much fun?"
Old 06-06-2016, 08:15 AM   #7
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

I guess I am too old for it looks good to me.
Old 06-06-2016, 10:16 AM   #8
jonr3
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Quote:
I guess I am too old for it looks good to me.
The photos don't show it, but the body has a lot of cracks and chips, the gelcoat is all gone so if you touch it you get fiberglass shards in your skin. The frame is coated with grime, dirt, and rust. There are even a few old wasp nests under the front cowling. Hopefully it will look better than new by next spring.
Old 06-06-2016, 08:24 PM   #9
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

I have seen added skids, casters, or other small wheels to the outside and under the front bars for added "no dip or less dip" on the sharp turns.
Old 06-07-2016, 06:27 AM   #10
jonr3
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Quote:
I have seen added skids, casters, or other small wheels to the outside and under the front bars for added "no dip or less dip" on the sharp turns.
Yeah, I've seen a few of those and didn't care too much for the look - kind of like training wheels. I did add a set of 3-inch wheel spacers to the back end. I usually don't like wheel spacers as they add stress to the axle but these were very well made of billet aluminum and that looks like a pretty stout axle housing. Depending on the wheel offset I get, I might remove them.

Since the tires are going to stick out past the body by at least 3 inches, I am considering cutting the body in half lengthwise and widening it 6 inches or more - tapering it back in to the front cowling. This would allow for wider front and rear seats plus room for a small center console between the front seats. With my shoulder out of commission, I've got plenty of time to plot and plan...
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson