lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-11-2018, 12:21 PM   #91
bobbycason
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 92 CC DS gas, convert to lithium electric rebuild thread

Could you not just modify the swing arm to be mounted directly to the frame instead of connected to the axle? I would think the swing arm and doomaflochy are just to keep the gas motor in relation to the rear end. If that's possible then you could make a custom tray to fit your lithium pack. I would think that'd be a lot of jostling around for you battery pack and whatever other electrical components you put on it if you left it connected to the axle.
bobbycason is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-11-2018, 12:34 PM   #92
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Yeah....^^^^^^^....what he said.

Is it possible to cut out that center section of sheet metal and then fab up some support arms so the battery pack doesn't bounce up 'n down with the A-arm?

On my electric EZ-GO Txt the batteries are in a fixed frame and the rear suspension is a separate component. But....you likely know that.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 12:35 PM   #93
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Yeah, I think you're going to have to build a new battery pan that's supported by the 2 longitudinal frame rails.

Good news is, you'll have a lot of room to lay your components out and you can build it to suit the needs of space for your 14 modules since those 2 frame rails are further a part on your formerly gas cart than on a stock electric.
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 11:11 AM   #94
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

I'm just keeping the swing arm for the suspension aspect and for the brake cable attachment points. It will also serve as a sort of skid plate. I removed the stock sheet metal from it and replaced it with a 1/4" piece of solid plastic.

IMG_1691 - Copy.jpg
That will protect the battery from any foreign debris while going through the woods. I still have to bend it towards the snubber and trim it.

I am going to bend some aluminum strapping to the frame to hold the battery pack. Definitely don't want the battery pack taking the beating riding on the swing arm! I just got a "cold metal bender" and some scrap aluminum, so once I do a few practice bends, I will bend up the new battery pack "tray". Hope to have an update by the end of this week!

Thanks for the ideas! Keep them coming!
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 11:25 AM   #95
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Well I was finally able to get some time to work on the buggy. Not very much, but a little.

Was able to get a couple pieces of scrap 3/16" aluminum. One was approximately 4" by 8". I cut it into 2" by 8" pieces and bent them 90 degrees with a 1" die on my metal bender. I used them to mount my controller and solenoid plate to the frame.

IMG_1704 - Copy.jpg

The other one was 6" by 66"! Got to love businesses! Not sure how a piece that big makes it to the scrap pile, but I'll take it! I cut it into 3 strips, each just under 2". I cut them with my table saw with a high tooth count blade. Sent chips every where! I'll be dealing with those for the rest of my life, I'm sure! I'll use them to create my battery tray.

IMG_1707 - Copy.jpg
Old 12-17-2018, 11:32 AM   #96
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Have you given any consideration to the potential of "water protection" of your batteries?
Old 12-17-2018, 03:33 PM   #97
BigOL3
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
Have you given any consideration to the potential of "water protection" of your batteries?
??? Does that refer to keeping water off of batteries? Is water getting on the batteries a problem?
BigOL3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 03:56 PM   #98
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOL3 View Post
??? Does that refer to keeping water off of batteries? Is water getting on the batteries a problem?
Well.....call me old fashion but water and electronics usually don't mix well.

I wouldn't be concerned about the module housings, but the connectors I would attempt to shroud with something that would be "water resistant" at the least.

After all, while "pure" water does not conduct electricity, water with "given" contaminants will provide a conduit. And running around splashing on road puddles or trail puddles would likely not be defined as "pure water."

Just sayin.........
Old 12-17-2018, 04:10 PM   #99
BigOL3
Gone Wild

lol ..... oh yeah, well aware that water and electrical components do not play well together, I thought you were referring the batteries themselves. Not referring to total submersion, but I did not think water being splashed on batteries was any problem.
BigOL3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 06:09 AM   #100
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
Well Old fashioned... I mean DaveTM, yes I have considered water protection. I share your sentiments on keeping water and electrical systems separate.

Along with the sheet of HDPE I have attached to the swing arm, I will attach sheets in strategic places underneath the batteries and other areas to mitigate as much splashing from reaching any electrical areas. Little hard to explain placements without pictures and such. I will explain where I put the plastic and why, when I get to those points.

While I am aware it is not necessary to keep all water/splashes from getting to these systems, I am just more comfortable doing so. Plus, it gives the added bonus of just keeping things a little cleaner.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car