lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-28-2018, 08:55 AM   #111
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Default Re: 92 CC DS gas, convert to lithium electric rebuild thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBHC View Post
I also want to figure out how I will wire up the battery pack. What components to use and so on. I have noticed many others on here have used LV/HV relays or shut offs. I don't think I want to do all of that, want a more basic setup. Any recommendations on components and such?
Actually, with a BMS that supports LV and HV the use of relays isn't that difficult. (Well....if I can do it......)

If you have an Alltrax controller you can set the controller for HV and LV shutdowns as well. It's just that the controller can NOT help you on the HV cutoff during the charging phase.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-28-2018, 08:55 AM   #112
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

First off, my knowledge with Club Cars is nowhere near what Dave can provide you.

On that note, with your Leaf setup and your stated need of using the cart for hunting, a simple series cart would benefit you over a Sepex, IMO.

The series cart is more simple when it comes to wiring (no OBC) and series carts are workhorse cart. They handle slow, creeping driving conditions (i.e. hunting and driving over unsteady, hilly terrain) without the motor/controller over heating. Series cart are not going to win and land speed records but (with the right motor/controller) try to climb a tree.

The flip side to that is SepEx carts have more user adjustability and can produce faster speeds. Using alltrax software and loading different field maps for whatever motor you have can provide you with many different types of driving conditions. One field map can give your motor more speed and less torque while a different map can provide you with more torque and less speed. The options are vast. But regardless, there is always a trade off with the speed torque relationship.

As for your wiring dilemma in regards to your lithium pack and you not wanting the use and HV/LV relays (why not? I use them with great success) why not try a sell the Chargery charger you have and invest in ZEVA components and use the TC Charger to communicate with the BMS via CanBUS? Everything from cell management to charging voltages will be controlled at the touch of a monitor screen.
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 08:58 AM   #113
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Just realized you already got the MOT-A4 from Dave so it looks like you're already invested in going SepEx. Maybe Series can be for your next cart build

Dave will not steer you in the wrong direction so I would go with whatever he's suggesting
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 09:28 AM   #114
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

While the thicker wire of the primitive Series motor will withstand heat better when overloaded, I think a properly configured Sepex cart with a torque motor and powerful controller has much better control of torque delivery and offer superior low speed handling.

The OBC is also present in all Club Cars 48v Series carts.

The BMS LV and HV controls are on a cell level, the Controller can only handle pack level which is worthless for lithium safety.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 09:46 AM   #115
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPW View Post
Just realized you already got the MOT-A4 from Dave so it looks like you're already invested in going SepEx. Maybe Series can be for your next cart build

Dave will not steer you in the wrong direction so I would go with whatever he's suggesting
All good NCPW! Your previous post is good information, I like learning about all of this stuff as I go!
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 09:49 AM   #116
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
Actually, with a BMS that supports LV and HV the use of relays isn't that difficult. (Well....if I can do it......)

If you have an Alltrax controller you can set the controller for HV and LV shutdowns as well. It's just that the controller can NOT help you on the HV cutoff during the charging phase.
I've got the Alltrax XCT500 amp. Would not the BMS (which I do not have yet), along with the charger shut down if the voltage gets too high?
Old 12-28-2018, 09:57 AM   #117
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
While the thicker wire of the primitive Series motor will withstand heat better when overloaded, I think a properly configured Sepex cart with a torque motor and powerful controller has much better control of torque delivery and offer superior low speed handling.

The OBC is also present in all Club Cars 48v Series carts.

The BMS LV and HV controls are on a cell level, the Controller can only handle pack level which is worthless for lithium safety.
It is my understanding that I do not need an OBC, with the Alltrax XCT 500 that I have. Is this correct?

With what you are saying about the BMS and the controller. Between the two, would not they protect in the event of LV/HV scenarios?

To be clear, I am at best a novice when it comes to electrical. That is probably abundantly clear, by my questions... I do realize there has to be a reason to add in the additional LV/HV relays, otherwise folks would not bother to do so. I just don't truly understand the need to do so...
Old 12-28-2018, 10:03 AM   #118
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBHC View Post
It is my understanding that I do not need an OBC, with the Alltrax XCT 500 that I have. Is this correct? -snip-
You do not "need" an OBC with any cart if you are using a smart charger. The OBC was only for controlling the charger (Powerdrive) in the older club cars. They have been gone sinve mid-'14 and were replaced with ERIC chargers (HF style) Most will replace the old Powerdrive's with smart chargers when there OBC's fail.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 11:12 AM   #119
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
You do not "need" an OBC with any cart if you are using a smart charger. The OBC was only for controlling the charger (Powerdrive) in the older club cars. They have been gone sinve mid-'14 and were replaced with ERIC chargers (HF style) Most will replace the old Powerdrive's with smart chargers when there OBC's fail.
Thanks!
Old 12-28-2018, 02:18 PM   #120
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

While I do some more research on the recent wiring questions...

I am told I can use the keyswitch that came on the cart. How does one figure out which of the two posts to use, since it has 4? I am not going to be using a backup buzzer or the factory battery warning light, so from what I can tell just need to use the green and blue wire from the wiring harness. However, I don't know which goes to which post...
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car