lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-17-2008, 09:36 AM   #1
swampjeep
Not Yet Wild

Default help the newb with his resistor cart

Hi all, I'm new to this forum, golf carts, and well, electric vehicles in general LOL. I have done quite a bit of fabrication on jeep, and wiring of them too, but nothing that was run with an electric motor.

now I'm wanting to get into electric vehicles, and figured buying a complete cart needing some work would be a good place to start. I found an old EZGO, (1986) with no batteries, I'm told it's been sitting for a few years and the maintenance person who parked it isn't around so no one knows why, and there are no batteries with it. What is the best way to go about finding any problems with it, can I diagnose any problems with a single 12 volt battery, or do I need the full 36 or 48 volts to even figure out if anything is good.

I tried searching first, but am so new, I'm at a loss what to search for LOL

here's a few pics, also was $200 a good deal on this? what can anyone tell me about this, or 1986's in general, I read something about low speed heat issues with the resistor, is there answer one that replaces it to eliminate the problem?

thanks in advance all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pic1.jpg (9.4 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg pic2.jpg (8.4 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg pic3.jpg (8.4 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg pic4.jpg (9.0 KB, 40 views)
swampjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-17-2008, 12:30 PM   #2
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Default re: help the newb with his resistor cart

You got yourself a good ole resistor cart. First thing you should do is put power to the motor and make sure its good. If its bad there no reason to spend the cash on a motor. You can connect a 12 volt automotive battery/or 12 volt charger to the motor to check it.

Start off by disconnecting all the connections to the motor. (might as well just gut the whole thing and start over) Jack up the rear of the cart and place it on jackstands to get the rear wheels off the ground. Take one of the cables you took off and use it to connect A2 and S1 together. (the motor A2 and S1) Take another cable and use it to connect to S2 then connect the other end to your 12 volt + power source. Take another cable and connect it to A1 on the motor....dont hook the loose end up just yet. A charger works better for this because you can make the connection before applying power to it. If you use a charger just hook S2 to positive and the A1 to the negative and turn the charger on. If its all in good working order your motor should spin...if not then something is wrong.

Something like this.
A2 and S1 together
S2 to positive power source
A1 to negative power source

If your motor works then we can continue with the lessons. LOL! Good luck!
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 03:37 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: help the newb with his resistor cart

WELCOME, Swamper.
Atleast you got one from one of 3 major makers - not some obsolete and obscure thing!
Follow Roady's advice and you will be okay. It is a matter of geographics when the price of a project cart is discussed. Also some I paid nothing for cost me a fortune and some I paid alot for taught me alot. Hopefully this one's gonna teach you alot!
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 06:57 PM   #4
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

With the right parts you can make that 86 look EXACTLY like a 94. A lot of the parts can still be found although they are getting a bit scarce.

You can even easily convert the electrical system to a modern controller system.

Pretty much anything is possible given the will, $$$$, and "bosses" permission!!!
pggroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 10:49 PM   #5
rusty
Golf Cart Photographer

Club Car

Welcome.......................
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 05:23 AM   #6
johnusarmy
Gone Wild

welcome to bgw!!! lots of people here with alot of know how information!!!
johnusarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 12:24 PM   #7
swampjeep
Not Yet Wild

thanks all, once I get to test it, I will let you all know how it goes...
Old 05-28-2008, 06:13 AM   #8
swampjeep
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by roady89 View Post
If your motor works then we can continue with the lessons. LOL! Good luck!
OK, thanks, motor works, now how do I check the controller, (or what should be the next step).
Old 05-28-2008, 06:39 AM   #9
swampjeep
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by pggroves View Post
With the right parts you can make that 86 look EXACTLY like a 94. A lot of the parts can still be found although they are getting a bit scarce.

You can even easily convert the electrical system to a modern controller system.

Pretty much anything is possible given the will, $$$$, and "bosses" permission!!!
I found this body for sale, it says it's a 94, will it fit on my frame? direct bolt up or with some mods? any idea what I need to change (if anything) to make it fit?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pic5.jpg (48.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg pic6.jpg (59.9 KB, 8 views)
Old 05-28-2008, 06:51 AM   #10
swampjeep
Not Yet Wild

so looking over the cart, and the little I have picked up abotu carts, I would like info on doign the following, after I get up and running with the current set up, I would like to convert to a 48v system, what should I look for in parts for the 48v controller, what other parts are needed? what charger?

oh and one front spring is missing, any info special about that?
tires are shot, what type are these? are there cheap replacements?
or just match up what they say on the side?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO