lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-13-2018, 12:43 PM   #11
mjroman20
Gone Wild

Default Re: Exactly what is Speed code 4.

1510/1515s dont have much as far as adjustments go for field mapping... but depending on the design of the motor the map is what drives the ratio between the armature and field. Mechanical changes between those two can result in higher torque or higher speed.

A good motor designer could make it work with an existing map usually, but depending on how much more output one way or the other you want some changes may need to be made to the programming.

In the case of having a motor built for more speed while requiring a mapping change, it doesn't do you any good with a control that's limited to 15mph without a magnet change anyway.
mjroman20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-13-2018, 11:50 PM   #12
Cruise Master
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
You need to put some context around this question, who said that and in reference to what Controller?....
Clicky

PLS read the product description section.
Cruise Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 07:15 AM   #13
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruise Master View Post
Clicky

PLS read the product description section.
That is totally out of context for this thread title.

That ad is referencing a now outdated Alltrax DCX controller, not a Curtis Club Car OEM Controller.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 12:08 PM   #14
Cruise Master
Gone Wild
Club Car

You are correct sir. If you read it with the point of view that you already have that DCX controller on board (which now I can see is the way they are writing it.)

I suppose the correct way for them to have written it was:

"If you wish to use your current DCX controller it needs to be updated to this new field map or it could cause failure to both the motor & controller."

I suppose that is the only controller that they can do that for based on how they wrote it and didn't include any other makes/models.

It does pertain to the title because if you read the answer to the question at the bottom of that link they are saying 24mph without a speed code 4 upgrade. Or is that also out of context because RPM's don't matter anymore?
Old 02-14-2018, 12:39 PM   #15
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The terminology "Speed Code 4" only applies to OEM Curtis Controllers made for Club Cars.

Once You buy any other non-OEM Controller: Alltrax, Curtis, Navitas, Zilla, Kelly, etc, They will all have their own way of customizing for new motors or Controlling speed.

What You can now do with the free Alltrax software and pre-built field maps on the XCT controllers would have required expensive proprietary programming devices and a lot of knowledge of how motors work in order to tune the Controller for different motors.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 10:18 PM   #16
Cruise Master
Gone Wild
Club Car

Once again you are correct sir.

But the question stated clearly "With a stock 2005 cc ds iq curtis controller." So assuming that the D&D motor needs so many RPM's to get up to 24mph, and knowing that "a stock 2005 cc ds iq curtis controller" is being used and must have something less then a speed code 4 because that would not be stock, I can not see how it's possible to get to 24mph without flashing the controller like it would have been done with that DCX.

I am very pleased that they did say there would be a 10% torque reduction. That was an appreciated effort/honest response.

So looking at the big picture Speed code 4 is a liability thing that will get to somewhere under 20mph with no loss of torque. From what I've gathered stock torque is not enough to turn those pretty 22 inch tires I'm looking at.

If I stall out on a hill damage will occur to the stock motor if I attempt to pull forward. The stock motor can do more, but will require a more stout amperage delivery system. More amps = more heat = more upgrades = more $$$. The farther I go from engineered design to bolt on monkey logic the closer I'll be to cart failure unless I just go big on everything. That way I can't lose. Sound about right? Cause if I am there really is no magic to this stuff, it's more like being a bicycle mechanic and just swapping parts.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:33 PM   #17
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruise Master View Post
Once again you are correct sir.

But the question stated clearly "With a stock 2005 cc ds iq curtis controller." So assuming that the D&D motor needs so many RPM's to get up to 24mph, and knowing that "a stock 2005 cc ds iq curtis controller" is being used and must have something less then a speed code 4 because that would not be stock, I can not see how it's possible to get to 24mph without flashing the controller like it would have been done with that DCX.

I am very pleased that they did say there would be a 10% torque reduction. That was an appreciated effort/honest response.

So looking at the big picture Speed code 4 is a liability thing that will get to somewhere under 20mph with no loss of torque. From what I've gathered stock torque is not enough to turn those pretty 22 inch tires I'm looking at.

If I stall out on a hill damage will occur to the stock motor if I attempt to pull forward. The stock motor can do more, but will require a more stout amperage delivery system. More amps = more heat = more upgrades = more $$$. The farther I go from engineered design to bolt on monkey logic the closer I'll be to cart failure unless I just go big on everything. That way I can't lose. Sound about right? Cause if I am there really is no magic to this stuff, it's more like being a bicycle mechanic and just swapping parts.

Seems to me you have been here for some time looking for the silver bullet upgrade. It does not exist. Never has, never will. It's simple engineering, the whole system must work as a whole - go big or go home.
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 09:44 AM   #18
Cruise Master
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Seems to me you have been here for some time looking for the silver bullet upgrade. It does not exist. Never has, never will. It's simple engineering, the whole system must work as a whole - go big or go home.
You are correct sir, it's been awhile.

But, this is suppose to be a DIY'er forum. I would hope someone would say that they did a 15:1 swap and a Speed code 4 to get what they wanted to achieve. More torque to push bigger tires, yet a speed that is appropriate for the quality of the vehicle. 15:1 gears are next to impossible to find on the internet but DIY'ers are pretty smart people and someone should be smart enough to figure out a cross reference, or even a swap from a past workhorse CC.

Problem here is there are not so many DIY'er posts as there are vendor posts on BGW. I think the mission of this forum was for DIY'ers, but it now seems like a good place to sell things with no feedback posts from buyers, or 3'rd party warranty guarantee's like with Amazon or EBay.

Old saying, when a person sells hammers out of their garage, pretty soon every problem starts looking like a nail.
Old 02-16-2018, 10:18 AM   #19
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Venders with high post counts are helping DIYer's like yourself diagnose, explore upgrade options, and repair carts.
The majority of the people the sponsors help here make no purchase at their stores. And many have made purchases someplace else where they find no help.
I continue to buy and modify many carts in my R&D fleet. I do this so the DIYers don't have to experiment. They can copy what I have done and net the same results regardless of where they choose to do business.
Is somebody hiding a cheap silver bullet? Not that I have heard of.

And the old saying is actually. "If the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail."
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 10:35 PM   #20
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Venders with high post counts are helping DIYer's like yourself diagnose, explore upgrade options, and repair carts.
The majority of the people the sponsors help here make no purchase at their stores. And many have made purchases someplace else where they find no help.
I continue to buy and modify many carts in my R&D fleet. I do this so the DIYers don't have to experiment. They can copy what I have done and net the same results regardless of where they choose to do business.
Is somebody hiding a cheap silver bullet? Not that I have heard of.

And the old saying is actually. "If the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail."
Listen to what Scotty says, trust me he knows. Yes, I have bought parts from him, but he helped me immensely, much more than any local dealer would (or would know how to) and not only was his price lower, part of the stuff the local dealer did not even know where to get (or to bother searching for).

Scotty has also helped me here on quite a few other situations when he knew I would not be buying a part from him. It is rare to find a resource person who can provide the expertise Scotty offers who will also offer it in a timely manner (just look at the frequency and timeliness of his posts) and offer it with no obligation.

He will help you as well if you will listen to what he says. I don't know about the hammer and nail, but I do recall something about looking a gift horse in the mouth.

There is no magic code to punch in and get more speed and torque after you get beyond the artificial limits programmed into the cart. If you do not upgrade your components, at a point, any extra speed you get comes at the expense of torque and vice-versa.
rockfordpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car