lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-18-2020, 09:16 AM   #1
eprovenzano
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 99 48 volt DS not charging (OBC DOA?)

99 48 volt DS not charging. When the charger (Power Drive I) is plugged into the cart, nothing happens. The cart currently has 47.5 volts and will move without issue. Per research I've done, I've checked the following.

1.) The 110 outlet is working
2.) Checked both the chargers fuse and breaker, both check out good
3.) I "think" the relay is working. tested fine
4.) Plugged the charger into the cart while it was not plugged into the 110 outlet hoping to hear the relay click... nope, nothing
5.) Check the fuse behind the plug in receptacle on the cart, (inside the yellow fuse holder) Checked out fine.

After my testing, I'm now leaning towards an OBC failure. Before I begin purchasing replacement parts, I'm going to try to run through the OBC reset procedure. My unit does not have a run / tow switch. So if I'm not mistaken, I will preform the same procedure, just skipping the movement of the switch. I have tried this procedure once, but did not push the pedal to the floor during the reset. I'll retry that tonight, making sure I correctly follow all steps.

If the reset does not work, I'd like to temp bypass the OBC. If I bypass the OBC and my charger works, then I'll know for sure it's the OBC, and not the charger. Please correct me if I'm wrong... To temp bypass the OBC, I would remove the ring terminal from the OBC from the negative post of battery 6. Then I'll add a 10 gauge wire from the negative post of battery 6 to the back of the charging receptacle (black wire). If I plug in my charger and it starts I will then know the issue is the OBC.

Then comes the question of do I replace the OBC, or replace the charger with a smart charger....

I appreciate the help... I'm new the the cart world, but and not afraid of turning a wrench.
eprovenzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-18-2020, 01:11 PM   #2
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Default Re: 99 48 volt DS not charging (OBC DOA?)

https://www.revolutiongolfcars.com/t...roubleshooting
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 06:12 AM   #3
eprovenzano
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the link, that’s the data I used in testing the charger. Didn’t get to the cart last night to bypass the OBC, raining too hard. Hopefully tonight I’ll get it bypassed to confirm whether it’s the charger or the OBC
Old 03-21-2020, 12:33 PM   #4
eprovenzano
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Based on the instructions provided, everything checks out, except when testing the voltage to the chargers relay. This test if working should show the carts full voltage... I’m not getting any volts... all batteries have 8 volts. This shows that the OBC is unable to communicate with the charger and the OBC is at fault. I plan to temp bypass to the OBC TO ensure that’s the problem. I’ll bypass the OBC and will plug in the charger. If it works I’ll have confirmed what I suspected all along... that the OBC crapped out...
Old 03-21-2020, 02:07 PM   #5
eprovenzano
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Just spent quality time with the cart. Did some digging and found it’s a 97 model. Before doing anything, current volts were 47.3. Moves forward and reversed without issue.

Tried to reset OBC by removing the lead to the negative post #6. Put the cart into reverse, turned on the key, and mashed the pedal... the rear buzzer goes off after 15 seconds. Waited 10 min, let the peddle off, turned off key, put back into neutral, and reinstall lead to negative post on battery 6. No change... not charging

Tried to bypass OBC by removing lead to negative on battery 6, ran wire from they post to back of plug. Nothing. An inspection showed another fuse on the charger receptacle... it tested good. Still not charging.

So now I’m really stumped. I’m now thinking my PowerDrive I had crapped out. Going to try and find someone with a cart so I can test the charger.
Old 03-21-2020, 02:53 PM   #6
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

You have to bypass the activation circuit as well for it to charge.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=114227
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 03:04 PM   #7
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Have you made sure you have pack voltage present at the red wire terminal in the charge receptacle? (Connector on cart)

The charger relay needs pack voltage to engage. If it does not get it it will not turn on. You need to have pack voltage or at least 36v if I remember right at the red wire terminal of the receptacle.
If you have pack voltage at the receptacle, but not getting into the charger, you have wire damage inside the DC charger plug, or have a broken wire in the DC cord.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 06:35 AM   #8
eprovenzano
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
Have you made sure you have pack voltage present at the red wire terminal in the charge receptacle? (Connector on cart)

The charger relay needs pack voltage to engage. If it does not get it it will not turn on. You need to have pack voltage or at least 36v if I remember right at the red wire terminal of the receptacle.
If you have pack voltage at the receptacle, but not getting into the charger, you have wire damage inside the DC charger plug, or have a broken wire in the DC cord.
40 volts at the relay
Old 03-23-2020, 08:48 AM   #9
eprovenzano
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Over the weekend , I drove the cart from the storage ares into the garage.
I pulled off the rear seat to gain access to the OBC and controller. I'm still trying to determine if my issue is the OBC, charger or something else. I was loojing for a way to bypass or energize the gray wire on the receptacle to test the relay of the charger. Doing research, I've found this

"If car runs, pack voltage is NOT too low. Plug charger into wall, plug charger into cart. Get a jumper wire with an alligator clip on both ends. Pull the yellow fuse holder apart and leave the fuse on the receptacle side of the wire. Put one side of the jumper wire to Main negative battery post, one side to the end of the buss fuse that you left exposed. Charger relay should click immediately when this connection is made. If it clicks, replace OBC. This proves that your car is capable of turning on your charger relay using all of your existing wire connections but when hooked up normally your OBC is not telling the charger to turn on. If it doesn't click, you've got a wiring issue somewhere."

I will be trying this tonight. I was researching some more and noticed when I tried to bypass the OBC, I did it incorrectly. I removed the wire from the neg post battery 6 that runs through the OBC, and ran a wire to the receptacle... this is incorrect, I believe I need to leave the wire from the OBC in the loop.
Old 03-23-2020, 07:15 PM   #10
eprovenzano
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Plugged charger into cart. Jumpered the Gray wire at the receptacle, the relay I’m the charger would click. Finally signs of life... looks like I’ve got a bad OBC. Disconnected everything, plugged charger into 110, plugged charger into the cart, and then jumpered the gray wire to negative post battery 6, and the charger kicks on... I’ll let it charge for an hour before turning it off...

Ok guys I’ve confirmed the OBC is bad. Do I just get another OBC or do I go with a newer style smart charger? What’s the best bang for the buck?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car