lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-27-2020, 05:42 PM   #1
Stoner99
Getting Wild

Default Need help from the professionals with motor upgrade

I know there are a lot of post about this already, but here goes. I have 2 2014 club Car precedents. Both have lift and both are on 22" tires. we live in the lower part of the state and South Carolina and there are not a lot of hills. Im wanting more speed out of the carts. (currently 18-20mph). Im torn between upgrading the controller or the motors. I want to upgrade the controller but I can't do both. If I upgrade the controller I dont know if I will get enough mph increase right now. (also 1 has kids involved, and I love the thought of the Bluetooth controller switch for different profiles!!!!). But I'm just scared if I upgrade just the controller I'm not going to get much speed out of the stock motor. Or I could go ahead and upgrade the motors and get more mph now then upgrade the controller later. Just trying to get them ready for the beach season this year. Any advice would be great I'm sorry for such a long post.
Stoner99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-27-2020, 05:51 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Need help from the professionals with motor upgrade

Look. A bigger motor really needs a bigger controller.
Why?
Because a large motor with higher output of both torque and speed is making that increase only 1 way. It is consuming more amperage quicker than the stock motor and that means what?

think ... think... think.
That's right It needs greater access to the battery pack to draw more amperage which by design it can turn into more HP

lol - Hope this helps
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 06:18 PM   #3
Stoner99
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Look. A bigger motor really needs a bigger controller.
Why?
Because a large motor with higher output of both torque and speed is making that increase only 1 way. It is consuming more amperage quicker than the stock motor and that means what?

think ... think... think.
That's right It needs greater access to the battery pack to draw more amperage which by design it can turn into more HP

lol - Hope this helps
Thansk! I had already sent you an email from your website! So I guess you're saying I really do need to upgrade the controller first. With all that being said and 22 inch wheels new battery pack with the upgraded controller what kind of speed am I going to get?
Old 03-27-2020, 07:54 PM   #4
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

A new controller will also do away with the Club Car max speed limit of 19.6mph.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 11:10 PM   #5
Stoner99
Getting Wild

I understand all that and I really am leaning on a new controller. I'm just curious what real world speed I'm gonna get on 22" tires. . I do like the Bluetooth programming for the kids.
Old 03-28-2020, 08:29 AM   #6
Dragracer_Art
Gone Wild

Club Car

My bone stock cart on stock tires would max out at 21mph on flat or downhill, with curtis speed code4 controller.
It now goes 27mph with the Alltrax controller.
Id venture a guess that 22" tires would put me in 30mph+ territory with no other changes.
I already slowed mine down. 27mph is faster than I need to go.
The huge boost in torque everywhere else and user friendly software was worth the upgrade.

Id recommend the controller upgrade every day of the week and twice on Sunday.
Dragracer_Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 09:57 AM   #7
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Most carts with a good pack and stock tires are going to run roughly 22-24mph. With 22” closer to 30. That is plenty quick for youngsters. Go with the controller upgrade. And Bluetooth is nice but not really needed and the youngsters would figure it out and would be turning it up when away from the house. XCT can be regulated with the 3 different user profiles changed by a toggle switch or key switch.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 05:13 PM   #8
Stoner99
Getting Wild

Thanks guys you just made up my mind! And I was wondering about the three position switch. next question is do I get the 500 and dial it down or do I just stick with the 400? All I really want is about 30 miles per hour. Definitely not anything faster
Old 03-28-2020, 08:27 PM   #9
Reddawg454
Grumpy Old Guy

Club Car

Get the 500 cause ya never know.........and it comes with the cooling fan included.
Reddawg454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 08:44 PM   #10
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Agreed. Cost a little more but does come with the fan and you can dial it down to 80% until a later time when you get the bug again.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car