lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-30-2020, 11:13 AM   #1
Fireball9298
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Captain Slow,a sad comedy-help me figure out why Im so slow! PLZ!

Yes there is a technical help question at the end of the story.
Skip to the summary at the end if you dont care for the story.

Let me set the stage for you:
So I bought a CC 2015 Precedent. I bought it from a small company that built it custom to my liking. When we came to the topic of speed they asked if I wanted an upgraded motor and told me the cost & expected top speed and I was like hell yea. So I got the bandit PH motor installed on the car.

They deliver the cart to me for me to surprise my wife with on Vday- surprise went flawless but the next day was my first test drive in the cart since they dropped it off in a hurry so she wouldnt know. So I go to a 1/4mile dead flat freshly paved road in our neighborhood. Whip my phone out, open my gps app and put it in the cup holder. I smash the gas expecting to be thrown back having been promised 25% more torque as well as top end. ....whomp whomp
This thing takes off like a turd. My stock 2001 yamaha would have left this thing in the dust on take off. The top speed achieved was 21mph and sometimes right at the end, for just a sec it would hit 22mph.
I have 22in tall tires for those wondering and brand new "black" batteries which when i ask if they were trojans during the build process, they said yes they are made by trojan. now having done all my research i know they are the ecno bottom of the line battery.

The promised speed range by this company was 29-32mph. I specifically asked them before they started building the cart. what happens if i GPS speed test teh cart and it doesn't hit 29mph. They say "we'll cross that bridge if we come to it but we've never had one not hit that speed." And yes i made sure and clarify they meant on a flat surface from a stopped start. None of that downhill assisted rolling start crap.

So they tell me to cycle charge the batteries a bunch and that should fix it. So im out here everyday after work freezing my *** off looking like some idiot who is obsessed with driving his new golfcart around the neighborhood to show it off. I'm just trying to drain it down to 60-70% so i can put it back on charge to "set the memory" or whatever you want to call the process of battery break in. Anyway, i find out the motor company is only 15min from where I work. So i go visit them on my lunch break to pick their brains. Very nice guys, but they tell me that there is no way the cart is going to hit those speeds that company told me without some other serious mods and that my batteries were basically **** and i needed the T875's for best performance. They told me the best that motor was going to give me with my current stock setup and 22in tall tire was 26mph MAYBE 27mph with a good tailwind, ha. Also they asked me to load test each battery and the pack and so on and so forth. So i go do all these tests and they say the volts seem a bit low but nothing extreme and to give the cart back to the company so they can bring the motor to them so they can check it out.

So the company comes and picks the cart up after me draining and charging the cart a ton of times and it did nothing but gain me 1mph. There was a laundry list of other things they needed to "address" on the cart as well but i wont get into that. They get the motor off and back to the motor company. They told me that the Motor company put it on their dyno, said it didn't sound right so they took it apart to find the brushes weren't making proper contact and that one brush wasn't touching at all. "I'm like YURICA! I knew something was wrong!" So they said they were given a new separate Bandit PH motor that they knew was good.

They slap that baby on the cart and they told me it made absolutely no difference. FAIL. So I told them for the millionth time, i wanted those black batteries out and the T875's in and they finally agreed and I paid the difference. That didnt make a difference either so like a good company they offered to give me back the money I paid for the upgraded motor and just keep the motor. on the cart. Told me it might be the controller and to put that money towards potentially replacing the controller. So i accept the cart back in as is condition of top speed 23mph with sometimes kissing 24mph at the last sec of my straight away.

So, after a bunch of internet searching i find myself on this form asking you guys for advice which makes me end up biting the monster bullet and go to Scotty B and purchase the deluxe Alltrax AXT500 package that comes with MZJ solenoid and full 2ga wire replacements and all that jazz. I'm a Mechanical Engineer and I also run an Auto performance installation company so this is just another day in the office for me as far as installs go. Now some of you may have just asked yourself, why didnt he just do it all from the start himself, well I'll tell you. I DIDNT WANT ANOTHER PROJECT, Ha. I have plenty and just wanted to buy something done and just enjoy, it for once. HA fail on that.

So I'll spare you all the details of the install but I get it installed, and i get it installed right the very first time. I have no issues, no studders, no nothing that i see a lot of you asking how to fix. I have also told Scotty to program it for the Bandit PH motor cause there several variations of the bandit motor apparently depending on which cart you have. I also got an FN-key which if you dont know is basically something that at the turn of a key can switch your cart into different performance mods or lock it out if you so choose. Scotty Programs this for me as well and puts FAST mode into User2 setting. I know he programs the controller right as well cause he wrote it on the bottom of the controller in big marker. The FN-key also works as it should.

First test(yesterday). I put it in user1 setting which he set to normal driving mode or "wife" mode as I'll call it. We go do the speed test. Well hello acceleration! Nice to meet you again. The cart quickly takes off now, which was nice and quickly gets up to 20mph. But then it takes forever for it to keep climbing up in mph where it tops out at 23/24mph. I'm very happy with this and cant wait to try user2 mode. I feel this is perfect setting for her.

So I put the key in a turn it to user2. Oh boy here we go, with a grin on my face I smash the gas pedal. HAHAHA YES, my toddler son gets flung back into the seat and the front end **** near picks the front wheel up! hell yes, this is what I was hoping for. She quickly gets up to 20mph in no time flat, and thats where i lose my smile and the joy of this story ends. The cart gets up to 25mph at the very end of the stretch. The motor company themselves told me with everything i've currently, done(new T875 batteries, Controller, solenoid, cables) i should be hitting around 32mph. WTF already!?!?!?!?
So I contacted them and they are building me an executioner motor and are going to credit me the cost of the current Bandit motor towards the executioner motor.

Summary for those who didnt care to read: 2015 CC precedent with 22in tall tire, ATX500, MZJ Solenoid, 2ga cables throughout, controller properly programmed by Scotty B, Bandit PH motor. Top speed is 25mph. Great take off power though. Climbs to 20mph real fast then creeps up to 25mph.

So my question to you guys is, Is there anything else I should be checking or doing to get more speed out of my cart? I'm terribly afraid that im going to slap this execution motor on and im only going to achieve another couple mph more and top out at ~28-29mph where i should be hitting 34mph or more according to all you other guys with the same setup. You know i've spent a TON of money at this point so any helpful suggestions im game for. Also the cart rolls extremely easy on flat. So no, i dont have any brakes dragging and my alignment "looks" and "feels" good. It drives straight and like i said its very easy to push. Is there like a different oil or grease I should put on something? I'm in the performance industry and I'm just scratching me head at this point.
Fireball9298 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-30-2020, 11:56 AM   #2
Dragracer_Art
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Captain Slow,a sad comedy-help me figure out why Im so slow! PLZ!

Are you running with the windshield folded up ? or down ?
That will make a difference.

Check toe-in / toe-out. That will scrub alot of speed.

Tire pressure ?

Have you plugged a laptop into the Alltrax controller to confirm RPM limit and such ?
Dragracer_Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 12:02 PM   #3
Fireball9298
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragracer_Art View Post
Are you running with the windshield folded up ? or down ?
That will make a difference.
I tried flipped down and up, it actually didnt make a single mph difference for me. But yesterday I had it down during all my testing since it was 81F out.

Also my tire pressures are all at like 27psi.

its supposed to have 1in of tow in correct? I'll go measure that right now.

I have not plugged into the Alltrax to confirm anything. I dont know what i should be looking for even if i did. Any advice?

Also I'll add that I feel i dont even have an RPM limit, we have some big hills here in my neighborhood and it will free roll up to 35mph downhill!
Old 03-30-2020, 12:05 PM   #4
Dragracer_Art
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireball9298 View Post
I tried flipped down and up, it actually didnt make a single mph difference for me. But yesterday I had it down during all my testing since it was 81F out.

Also my tire pressures are all at like 27psi.

its supposed to have 1in of tow in correct? I'll go measure that right now.

I have not plugged into the Alltrax to confirm anything. I dont know what i should be looking for even if i did. Any advice?

I cant tell you what toe should be... but 1" seems really excessive.
You want the tires rolling as parallel to each other as possible while going down the road. At rest they should be toe'd-in a little and ideally ZERO toe while running.
I would venture a guess that 1/4" max is more likely correct.

Download the free software and plug into the Alltrax with a simple printer usb cable.
It's pretty user-friendly.
Old 03-30-2020, 12:07 PM   #5
Fireball9298
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragracer_Art View Post
I cant tell you what toe should be... but 1" seems really excessive.

I would venture a guess that 1/4" max is more likely correct.

Download the free software and plug into the Alltrax with a simple printer usb cable.
It's pretty user-friendly.
I added one thing to my above response since you quoted me. But i was reading a toe in/out thread the other week and saw advice on it, i thought it was 1in but i have no clue, i'll have to go try and find it again.
Old 03-30-2020, 12:15 PM   #6
Dragracer_Art
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireball9298 View Post

Also I'll add that I feel i dont even have an RPM limit, we have some big hills here in my neighborhood and it will free roll up to 35mph downhill!
The gravity-assist means you are scrubbing speed somewhere on flat ground.
Front end alignment (toe) will kill your speed. It's like dragging both of your feet while walking.

Obviously there are a gazillion other possibilities... but that's where I would start first.

There are plenty of experts on here that know way more about these things than I do.
Old 03-30-2020, 12:17 PM   #7
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Take a screenshot of your settings in the Alltrax software. There might be a single setting off like the RPM limit. Post it here. Also keep in mind that a Bandit motor is a shined up stock motor. Tow in should be 1/8 in. 22" tires are killing your torque the new motor should fix that. Be sure to get the new field map to match the motor.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 12:20 PM   #8
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Toe in should be about 1/8th inch. It would be visibly all out of whack and drive like poo if you set it at 1" toe in.

I'm gonna guess you've got some settings that need to be adjusted in the Alltrax to get up to where you wanna be speedwise. But I'm not super familiar with the toolkit program so I'll let the experts here guide you through that. Also don't be afraid to call Alltrax Tech Support. Those guys know their stuff inside and out and can help you get the most out of your setup.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 12:22 PM   #9
Dragracer_Art
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterM6 View Post
Take a screenshot of your settings in the Alltrax software. There might be a single setting off like the RPM limit. Post it here. Also keep in mind that a Bandit motor is a shined up stock motor.
Ditto this re the Bandit motor.
My stock motor will push my cart to 27mph on flat or downhill... but it really falls off if there is any drag or going uphill.

It may just be he doesn't have enough motor to make it happen.
Old 03-30-2020, 12:24 PM   #10
Dragracer_Art
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
Toe in should be about 1/8th inch. It would be visibly all out of whack and drive like poo if you set it at 1" toe in.

I'm gonna guess you've got some settings that need to be adjusted in the Alltrax to get up to where you wanna be speedwise. But I'm not super familiar with the toolkit program so I'll let the experts here guide you through that. Also don't be afraid to call Alltrax Tech Support. Those guys know their stuff inside and out and can help you get the most out of your setup.

I almost fell out of my chair when I saw 1" of toe.
I figured sloppy bearings or suspension would eat up 1/4"... but yeah, 1/8" sounds more reasonable.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car