lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-11-2020, 09:46 PM   #1
rulybanuelos
Not Yet Wild

Default Onward dc or high powered ac model

Hello! I have a question about the powertrain on a 2019 onward I am buying. Dealer says it has the high powered ac powertrain but how do I tell if that’s the case? Does anything look different on the high powered models? What’s the difference between the two? Thanks and for trying to help a noobie out
rulybanuelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-12-2020, 12:52 PM   #2
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Default Re: Onward dc or high powered ac model

to BGW

What I would do is look at the motor under the cart. It should say AC on it if it really is an AC drive.
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 02:04 PM   #3
fstop
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by rulybanuelos View Post
Hello! I have a question about the powertrain on a 2019 onward I am buying. Dealer says it has the high powered ac powertrain but how do I tell if that’s the case? Does anything look different on the high powered models? What’s the difference between the two? Thanks and for trying to help a noobie out
There aren't any Onward carts with an AC motor from the factory except the LiOn model.

So either it is a Club Car factory LiOn cart (easy to tell if you look under the seat - no FLA batteries obviously...) or it is a regular / non LiOn cart (which have DC motors from the factory) and has had a Navitas AC motor / controller installed as an aftermarket upgrade (looking at the motor - it will be big and green). Or maybe he's not exactly sure what it has under the hood?
fstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 02:15 PM   #4
rulybanuelos
Not Yet Wild

I found it on the build a cart on the club car website. See screenshot
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C3C4E897-D694-4BB5-A4C9-8656648F6077.jpg (6.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-12-2020, 02:29 PM   #5
1sharphook

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstop View Post
There aren't any Onward carts with an AC motor from the factory except the LiOn model.
The information you provided is wrong.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (100.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-12-2020, 02:54 PM   #6
rulybanuelos
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sharphook View Post

Yes that’s what I was trying to post but my was blurry.
Old 04-12-2020, 03:53 PM   #7
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by rulybanuelos View Post
Easy check. Look at the motor. 3 cables on an AC motor. 4 cables on a DC motor.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 07:41 PM   #8
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
3 cables on an AC motor. 4 cables on a DC motor.
Good to know
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 12:23 AM   #9
rulybanuelos
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
Easy check. Look at the motor. 3 cables on an AC motor. 4 cables on a DC motor.

Thanks!
Old 04-13-2020, 11:02 AM   #10
fstop
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sharphook View Post
You might be right (about me being wrong), but he (OP) had distinctly indicated this was a 2019 model. The screenshot you posted is not from 2019. AFAIK this is something only available from the factory on later 2020 models and newer. Do you know if this is otherwise? If you do then yes - my mistake.

I know it was not listed on their website at any time prior to late December of 2019, and at least two area dealers were also unaware of this being available on 2019 models, as they mentioned communication with CC factory on AC motor availability possibly arriving on some 2020 model carts, but potentially not until 2021 year models.

I only know this because I talked with those two dealers about when the change from DC to AC drive systems might or would happen. They could both have been wrong also, but if AC drive systems were factory available on 2019 carts Club Car kept them a secret.

Maybe the OP can comment on the date code of his new cart? I'm curious when it was manufactured? If it has a factory AC motor I think it must be pretty rare!

Thanks!

Edit: It looks like on Club Car's web site there was no mention at all of an AC power option (other than Lithium Ion) prior to this month - 4 months into 2020. Google shows April 2, and Club Car posted it's promo video to YouTube on the AC power option on the same day, so just 11 days ago.

Maybe it was a pre-production test unit?

Love to know your thoughts on it when you have a chance to drive it some. Maybe you could post a few photos of under the seat and the motor?
Thanks!
fstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car