lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-12-2020, 09:40 AM   #1
Njjacobs
Not Yet Wild

Default 2004 Electric DS “series” model- enough power?

Hi everyone. I am pretty new to the golf cart world and looking to buy. I found a 2004 Club Car DS 48v and really like the retro style compared to all the others I’ve seen. After doing research, I think it is a “series” model with a forward/reverse lever. Do these modes have less power/speed and is it possible/easy to adjust speed? I test drove it thinking I was ready to buy, but it felt very slow. The seller said it was normal speed for these models. Also, my neighborhood is very hilly and I have concern on the power. Any help or advise is much appreciated. I posted a pic. Thank you!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1EB7A0C1-F949-4758-BEC9-ED99D2F5ED4A.jpg (4.7 KB, 0 views)
Njjacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-12-2020, 11:19 AM   #2
fsu1tm
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 2004 Electric DS “series” model- enough power?

Since it has a F/R lever, you have a series cart (as opposed to a sepex). Series carts are known for more torque and less speed. Sepex are the opposite. If you have hills, that series cart will be great. You just won't take them very fast.
fsu1tm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 11:31 AM   #3
Njjacobs
Not Yet Wild

#fau1gm
Thanks for the feedback. That’s good to know about the torque. I didn’t have a speedometer to check speed but fleet super slow. It also has brand new batteries just installed, so could that make it slower before they are “broken in”? If I did want more speed on this “series” cart, would replacing the original motor be the only way?
Old 05-12-2020, 12:24 PM   #4
Jake_Daddy
Gone Wild

Club Car

There are a lot of what ifs involved but a motor and controller and a few minor things and you could probably be around 20mph with plenty of torque on that cart. It seems to me they make most of the hunting rigs out of series motors for the torque and depending on how hilly it is that may be best for you. Keep in mind while it’s not difficult but your probably talking $1k in motor and controller to get that thing where you would like it. I don’t think the battery break in will see a significant difference in speed. You almost need to find a sepex cart and see how it performs on similar terrain and if it is only a bit under powered I think you could get just a controller and boost both torque and speed.
Jake_Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 12:33 PM   #5
Njjacobs
Not Yet Wild

That’s great info. At the end of your reply, are you saying that possibly just a new controller could work on this “series” cart or if I were to get another done with sepex motor? Thanks!
Old 05-12-2020, 12:44 PM   #6
Jake_Daddy
Gone Wild

Club Car

On a series cart the controller will only boost your torque not speed. On a sepex cart you can get both as the aftermarket controllers will allow the motor to spin faster, my guess would be that those extra rpms don’t carry much extra torque though but I could be wrong. Someone may chime in with info on the torque differences between the two but end of the day horsepower is horsepower and are related between torque and RPM and you only get one at the expense of the other.
Old 05-13-2020, 03:21 PM   #7
Njjacobs
Not Yet Wild

Well, I pulled the trigger on this 48v series cart and it’s definitely sluggish. So here’s my question.... Do I upgrade to a higher speed/torque custom 48v motor or do I swap for a stock 36v motor(which I’ve heard gives a nice boost)? Thank you!
Old 05-13-2020, 04:27 PM   #8
Jake_Daddy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Read up on here what people are getting performance wise and talk to some of the site sponsors for info. If you are really hilly I dont know that a 36v swap will get what you want but if you find a deal on one it could be fun to mess around with. It would be best to get a good baseline and make sure everything is working as its suposed to (verify battery pack is good, cables are good, etc) then look at your options. Everything you read now lots of people are talking about AC systems for hills so that would be a neat option to look at too and when you consider upgrading motor and controller I dont know that the price difference is very much.
Old 05-13-2020, 08:37 PM   #9
Hkspwrsche
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njjacobs View Post
Well, I pulled the trigger on this 48v series cart and it’s definitely sluggish. So here’s my question.... Do I upgrade to a higher speed/torque custom 48v motor or do I swap for a stock 36v motor(which I’ve heard gives a nice boost)? Thank you!
Congrats!
Hkspwrsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 08:43 PM   #10
Hkspwrsche
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njjacobs View Post
Hi everyone. I am pretty new to the golf cart world and looking to buy. I found a 2004 Club Car DS 48v and really like the retro style compared to all the others I’ve seen. After doing research, I think it is a “series” model with a forward/reverse lever. Do these modes have less power/speed and is it possible/easy to adjust speed? I test drove it thinking I was ready to buy, but it felt very slow. The seller said it was normal speed for these models. Also, my neighborhood is very hilly and I have concern on the power. Any help or advise is much appreciated. I posted a pic. Thank you!
Here is how to tell:

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=3914

I have an 04 DS IQ with the regen motor

Lever versus rocker for forward/reverse can also confirm as mentioned. Just wanted to be sure you knew.
Hkspwrsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car