lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-17-2020, 09:30 PM   #1
sgarcia
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Smile My story and a few questions.

Hi everyone

This is my first post other than my introduction. Sorry if it’s a bit lengthy. I’m new to the Golf Cart world. Acquired a Club Car DS with a home purchase. Its a 98 model year A9840-xxxxxx. I don’t have much history other than it was running when it was last parked. It appears it hasn’t ran in several years. It didn’t look abused as the overall condition looked way above average, needless to say it needed some TLC as the tires were all flat, the batteries were all corroded and such. Not willing to drop $1400 on a new battery set if there happened to be other issues, I elected to try and salvage the batteries. So with that said, I removed and cleaned everything with baking soda and water. Instead of adding water to the batteries, I chose to refill the batteries with acid, as all the batteries were way low. I cleaned the rest of the electricals with electrical contact cleaner, as all the micro switches and other terminals just looked real dirty having not being used. I reassembled everything and hooked up the charger. The charger snapped to life and the current draw was high. Not knowing how the charger/charging system worked the next morning it was still charging so I unplugged the charger and let things cool down as the charger was warm as were the batteries (now that I down loaded the operators manual and the charging manual I have a better understanding how the whole system works). Checked the specific gravity with one of those cheap ball hydrometers and the reading was fully charged. The golf cart sprang to life. Drove it around the block a few times just to get our confidence up incase it died on us. So far so good as everything works, the charger shuts off like its designed, and the batteries seem to hold a charge. We’ve been venturing out a little farther each time. Now for some questions.

There is a decal on the frame under the seat that says “This motor has been modified to 5.2 HP”. Is this aftermarket or was this a factory option? I’ll post a pic later.

I don’t believe the Cart has ever been serviced, other than battery maintenance what other service items should be addressed?

I want to remove the body work to inspect etc.. is there a preferred method to remove both the front and rear body work and the dash? The rear seems pretty involved.

Thanks

S
sgarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-17-2020, 09:46 PM   #2
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Default Re: My story and a few questions.

I'm not sure about the motor. Sounds aftermarket to me. Club Car made several different DS models in 1998. Some photos of the cart and under the seat would be nice.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 11:42 PM   #3
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

If it is modified, it is something done by shop
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 05:49 PM   #4
sgarcia
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Here are the pics of said motor/decal/cart. What is the process to remove the body work? Hidden bolts/screws etc... The rear looks quite detailed as it appears you need to remove the F/R switch, charger plug. Just looking for guidance .

Thanks

S
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4312.jpg (194.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4313.jpg (197.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4314.jpg (205.0 KB, 0 views)
sgarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 06:46 PM   #5
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Pretty straightforward really. Remove the top, seat backs, the bolts and take it apart. Yes you have to remove all the wiring connected to the body.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car