lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-20-2020, 09:43 AM   #1
oneor12002
Not Yet Wild

Default 96 Club Car DS 48v wont move/no solenoid click

little background on the cart....

96 club car DS 48V

Had been working fine, left it parked with key on and in the "F" position with the brake on for about an hour.

Came back to the cart, realized the mistake, then drove about 1/4 mile when the cart made a sound like I ran over something, I stopped the cart to look under it but there was nothing underneath, attempted to drive again and it went about 5 feet and slowed to a crawl and stopped.

I towed it back to the house, put it on the charger and left it.

Attempted to start it again and it would stutter forward a few feet and then stop, same with reverse. Almost like the brakes were stuck but there was no issue when towing it home.

Fast forward a year later and I still can't get this cart to do anything. The cart will buzz when putting it into "Reverse", but doesnt move. I've replaced the motor in it. When taking the old one out it looked as though the entire internal assembly had broken free (which i assume is the sound i heard when it died initially).

I've tested voltage and its at 50. I put a multi-meter on the negative of the battery and placed the positive probe on the solenoid, the motor terminals, as wells as the controller and each probe comes back at 50v, which im not sure is normal or not. I wouldn't think the 50v should be passing through at all times. If it shouldn't, what is this a symptom of?

I turn the key, put it in F or R and push the pedal but get nothing, no click no movement... nothing. I did manage to do a test light on the micro switch on the F/R switch, when pressing the pedal the light did light up (before the bulb blowing).

I attempted bypassing the OBC, using the controller terminal to the solenoid low side connection however, it still didn't do anything.

Im at a loss on where to go from here. I've double checked all the cables all of them look mostly good, all battery cables are newish.

Any chance its the OBC or Controller?

Any help would be most appreciated!
oneor12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-20-2020, 12:34 PM   #2
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 96 Club Car DS 48v wont move/no solenoid click

Need a little more information on the cart. Does it have lever forward and reverse switch, or a push button toggle switch?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
mgray70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 01:17 PM   #3
oneor12002
Not Yet Wild

The lever type F-N-R, that turns Left or Right.
Old 05-20-2020, 03:22 PM   #4
movin-on
Gone Wild
Club Car

I believe on your cart the negative signal to the solenoid comes from the obc not the controller on the small terminal yellow wire...Disconnect that yellow wire from the solenoid and run a jumper from the solenoid where the yellow wire was and run it to pack negative...See if it runs...
movin-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 08:44 PM   #5
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Check to see if you are getting pack voltage to the small terminals on the solenoid when the pedal is pressed. If yes the solenoid is probably bad. If not find out why. You bypass the solenoid in this cart by running a jumper from the main battery pack negative to the small terminal on the solenoid with the yellow wire. If that don't solve it, I'd check the pedal micro switch in the v glide.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
mgray70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 03:43 PM   #6
oneor12002
Not Yet Wild

Quick refresh summary,

replaced the following:

Motor
Solenoid
Controller
MCOR conversion
Key Switch

Still nothing.... turn key, press gas, no click no nothing. same for reverse.

so disconnect the small yellow low voltage wire from the solenoid and run a jumper wire from that terminal to the battery negative?
Old 05-28-2020, 04:02 PM   #7
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

First thing to do is check the solenoid activation circuit.

Also, in your first post, leaving the key on with the lever in F should not cause a problem.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 08:26 PM   #8
oneor12002
Not Yet Wild

Is this normal?

When the cart is off, in Neutral, I'm still getting 50v to both sides of the solenoid. I've replaced the solenoid twice and still getting 50v on both sides of the big terminals.

Also, with the cart off, Im still showing 50v on the motor terminals as well as the controller terminals.

If this isn't normal, what could be causing this?

I never hear any type of click from the solenoid. I push the gas pedal down when in Forward, and I get a reading on the meter that the volts are going up or down depending on the pedal position so I assume everything there is good. Only two things I've yet to replace on this cart is the F/N/R switch(...and microswitches). And the OBC. Everything else is new and "should" be fine. I'm running out of things to try.
Old 05-28-2020, 09:00 PM   #9
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

In order for the solenoid to activate on that cart you must get 48v+ on one of the small posts. It should be a black and white wire coming from a micro switch at the FNR. That micro switch will also have a green and white wire coming from the pot box underneath. You have changed that pot box to a MCOR so I assume the 48v+ comes from that. You also need 48v- on the other small post which comes from the OBC to activate the solenoid. Check to see if you are getting these for the solenoid to activate.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 12:15 PM   #10
oneor12002
Not Yet Wild

Ok so just went out to test some things...

jumped from the small yellow wire side of the solenoid to battery ground.
jumped from opposite small solenoid terminal to battery main positive.
As soon as i place the wire coming from solenoid small yellow wire to battery negative SPARKS!!!....

When testing the solenoid terminals both large posts show 50v, whether key is on or not. both small solenoid terminals show 0.

The controller yellow/green wire show 50v, so does the motor, whether key is on or off....

HELP!!!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car